Chocolate

*angie*

loves food and cooking
Thought the title might get your attention - Seeking opinions ... :flirt2:

Chocolate comes into the house on 'special occasions' ie Christmas, Easter, occasional birthdays and halloween. It then sits and sits and sits and sits, usually getting thrown away, wasted, when the next lot arrives. Small amounts are eaten of course, but for example, we have only eaten 6 of the windows of the (really rather nice) hotel chocolat advent calendar :rolleyes:

We really aren't in the habit of eating it, and we clearly aren't that bothered by it, so we 'just forget about it'.

Now here's the thing, DH feels nagged by having the chocolate in the house - with my birthday coming up, he would like to buy me something, but most likely won't because we still have the advent and christmas stuff (I still have an unopened tin of biccies he bought me *last* christmas :8855: )
:17729:
His suggestion is that when it comes into the house, we should just eat it - all of it - in the space of a night or two. That way it can stop cluttering up the cupboards (I'm not joking), and we won't feel nagged to eat it - nor will it just get thrown away and wasted. It's not like we will eat it, then be tempted to buy more, no more will appear until we are given more (at the next 'special').

So what do you think, should we -

eat it all in a session so its gone
give it cupboard space for ever and ever until I throw it away
throw it away after a set period of time
allow ourselves an amount every day until it is gone (likely to forget!)

help!:p

There is another option - ask whoever buys it to get you something else instead.
OR buy it and then give it away to a homeless shelter or other charitable place, but to buy it in and then just waste it, isn't good, I don't think (not least cos it's a waste of money)
What would I do? I'd scoff it!

hmmm... scoffing the lot and moving on seems to be a favourite so far (my husband agrees with you totally btw).

We can't really stop it coming in (its not even as if we have that much, it just hangs around), so alternative gifts doesn't really work, and we like to have a little bit (who doesn't) so would feel I can't really give away something that has been started.

I don't work, and DH works from home, so we can't even just leave it in a staff room to be shared.

I am beginning to think there isn't really an answer to this one. I deplore waste, but don't want to blow the diet on it either. With both of us following the SW plan, and DD being diabetic, there just is no hope for us ... this is clearly a ridiculous dilemma :rolleyes:

I take my leftover naughties into work and they're gobbled up in a flash- they're like gannets that lot!!!X

Hi there!I would say that you don't seem to bothered to eat the chocolate,so like someone else suggested I would give then away to someone who would appreciate them(see below),so then you have solved your problem and then made someones day giving them a treat!:D

***waves frantically***'over here!':D lol

I'd eat a bit each day :p

Do you and your dh actually like it enough to use up your syns on it? If not just pass it on to friends or relatives and treat yourselves to something you really enjoy.

Why can't you stop it coming? Surely if you ask the people who are buying you it if they wouldn't mind buying you a little gift instead, they'd be ok with that?

If I get anything I either take it in to work where it's gone within seconds of hitting the desk; or advertise it on FreeCycle where someone else in the community takes it off my hands.

I've just had a Curly Wurly... I say EAT IT!!

wow i'd love to be like u. if it was me i'd do scoffing option but thats how i ended up overweight
but seriously i think u should give them away hun as presents or just a random thank you or to local old peoples home

Do people think it would be OK to repackage the chocolates before giving them away? More often than not, we have had a few from the packet - I would hate to give a started box to someone. What I think I should do is spend some syns on the few we fancy before we repackage and give the surplus away.

I have some pretty cellophane 'sweetie' bags and some pretty ribbon. Would that be OK?

I wish I had the self control in keeping chocolate in the house :(

Its not self control, its just not the thing we go for first.:eek:

Do people think it would be OK to repackage the chocolates before giving them away? More often than not, we have had a few from the packet - I would hate to give a started box to someone. What I think I should do is spend some syns on the few we fancy before we repackage and give the surplus away.

I have some pretty cellophane 'sweetie' bags and some pretty ribbon. Would that be OK?

yeah hun makes them more personal to

Yeah definately!!! Who nees to know you've eaten all the best ones first ;)

Back