Cholesterol

Greeneyes11

Gold Member
I have suspected gallstones, so had a fasting blood test last Friday and have a scan next Tuesday. So got blood test results back today. My ESR was borderline, it has been all year, so the doctor isn't worried about that. My liver came back abnormal with Cholesterol of 7.1.

I am fasting every other day, except for weekend when I have 2 UP days, I am cutting down on fat, do have the odd bit of chocolate, but most stuff I buy is low fat, like with our dinner last night we had low fat fromage frais, I eat light philadelphia, but only on DDs, 0% fat greek yoghurt.... etc, and the odd egg, so why is my cholesterol so high. Am I imagining it or is this diet supposed to lower your cholesterol....

Bit worried now as the doctor will assume I eat lots of fat, otherwise she may put me on medication that makes me gain weight.... dont know what to do... is there anyone else with these problems?

I dont know why your figures were so high but I take statins for cholesterol and they honestly havent made me put weight on, its me unfortunately that has made me put weight on. I am having BP measured next week and am hoping it will have gone down. Will have my cholesterol measured fairly soon after that so that will be interesting.

Take care hun..xx

My blood pressure isn't high though, last week it was even quite low.... lol. Thinking the gallstones are having something to do with this. It is bile that lowers the bad cholesterol and if a stone is blocking my bile secretion, there wont be enough to lower my cholesterol.... thats my theory at the moment... putting off going to the doctor today...

Sorry to hear you might have gallstones, they can be very painful, however best got rid of early on as having them blasted when small should prevent you having to have your gallbladder removed. as you say, diet may not be the reason your cholesterol is high, it could be the lack of bile or it could simply be in your genetics. I have a friend who was diagnosed in his 20's as high cholesterol and he was SAS so super fit. He has been on meds all his life. This diet is supposed to reduce blood pressure, not sure about cholesterol, but like every lifestyle to help health you have to have been on it quite a few months, so it might be early days. Hope your visit to the Dr's goes well, don't put it off..:)

Thank you for your replies.
I have had a cholesterol test earlier in the year, just routine along with about a zillion others and it came back normal then.... that is why I dont understand why it is suddenly this high. I had high blood pressure earlier in the year, but it is normal now too. And I have been on JUDDD for nearly 3 months now too..... stooooopid body!!

Scuse for butting in! (Im new to JUDDD so guilty of being a lurker for now!)

Just wanted to float the idea that given that JUDDD works principly on ur fat stores (as proven by inch loss success stories); could /would ur cholesterol not be high becos as ur body is 'eating' ur fat stores, ur bloods would show a high fat intake (temporarily)! Certainly ive read that successful eating plans can have this effect on cholesterol, at least, shortterm...

Last edited:
Oooh thanks for that. I went to the doctor yesterday and he wasn't too bothered at the moment as I dont smoke, he thinks though that my high cholesterol could have caused my gallstones (if in fact the scan on Tuesday does show I do have them)....

Sometimes a low fat diet can cause gallstones? Someone I used to work with had to have her gal bladder removed I believe after a harsh vlc diet and her doctors said this was due to lack of fat due to the vlc..

I don't know what other sources of fat you have but as you know I follow paleo & good fats are good for cholesterol? On other forums for paleo people they have posted their 'blood work' and seen a reduction in cholesterol? May be worth googling cholesterol healthy foods ?

Yup! Because people cut out the good fats as much as the bad fats.

HDLs (good fats like olive oil and other mono saturates) are needed to literally scour out the fatty deposits left by saturated fats. They reduce the LDL (bad fats) ratio and clear up some of the plaque deposits that cause atheroma, hypertension, CHD.

Another health problem on vlcd diets is that there are some vital vitamins that are fat soluble. Your body can't make them and they are only transported in fats. If you cut out fats too far you then cannot take in and use vitamins A D E and K - no matter how many supplements you take without the right amount of fat they will simply pass straight through your digestive system! Lack of them can cause some very debilitating diseases.

Googling for a list of HDL sources is a good idea. Try HDL or monosaturated fats or even, as DeeCe suggests good fats and you should find a lot of good information.

Sorry, the day job kicks in every now and then!

Thanks girls. I do take supplements for the A and D but obviously doing no good if I don't have the right fats. Will definately have a google for good fats and try and incorporate them into my diet. I do use olive oil a lot tho so having one good fat then. Lol

Back