• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Christmas dinner...

IrishMum

A little of everything!
Why not incorporate fresh veg into it and have a 'normal' dinner- just without the 'roast' veg, stuffing, sausage etc.?
I find the most challenging (& fun) part of a new healthy lifestyle is adjusting 'normal' meals to be healthier? Be it the way they're cooked, or by substituting certain foods for others. I myself don't like cutting out foods altogether, with me that just leads to cravings, which can lead to binges etc.!
For 'occasions', I cut back a bit in the days leading up to it and try to allow myself 'extra' calories to compensate for any extras I take in that day- be it a dessert, a few beers etc., and cut back in the days following? It usually all balances out?

Thankfully I don't like stuffing, so I'm safe there.

Hmm, steamed vegetables and some accompanying meat might not be a bad idea. I don't fancy the idea of sitting round the fire, opening presents, then having... salad LOL.

IrishMum

A little of everything!
Thats what I figured! LOL! Salad on a cold winters day? Not nice!!
Veg & lean turkey is definately the way to go. And for dessert, some stewed apples sprinkled with cinnamon and a spoon of frozen yoghurt...mmmm....
It's all about choices, and how to incorporate 'nice' & 'bad' foods into your day without blowing your calorie 'budget'? Or at least, not blowing it too much?;)

TBH I've already decided to give myself a day off on Christmas day, lol. But if you're sticking low cal, then turkey is a low cal meat anyway, and I'd fill the plate with a large variety of veg so that you don't get bored. If you still want potatoes you could have baby new potatoes, I find they're lower cal than "old" potatoes. Boil them and then toss in some dried mint and a little olive oil.

Tesco Does a Light Choices mandarin cheesecake that is 204 calories for a fifth of the cake, and it's soooo good. I'd have that with a little elmlea single cream.

Sort of having the day off, we're going to a relative's house. But I'm just gonna cut back a bit; one yorkshire instead of three, a splash of gravy instead of half the gravy boat, that sort of thing. I'll have christmas pud but I'll avoid scoffing stacks of chocolates :D And I don't drink anyway, so no booze-temptation...

Several relatives are pretty slim and fit so I reckon if I just have what they do I can't go wrong. I'll just have to run the excess off on Boxing day or something :D

IrishMum

A little of everything!
a splash of gravy instead of half the gravy boat,
Ha-Ha!!!! I'm with you on that one!!:D:p

Several relatives are pretty slim and fit so I reckon if I just have what they do I can't go wrong.
Isn't that the key? 'Normal' people can eat roast potatoes/veg, have desserts, drink, and stay slim- we just have to learn how to do it like them!;) LOL!

assj

Silver Member
well i have my daughters 2nd birthday on xmas eve so i have double trouble bday cake eeekk. i decided i will probably lower my cals a few days before xmas, then have room for a yorky pud, a roast pot, and maybe a pig in its blanket (gosh i love those) and pudding will be a weight watchers pudding, will be having turkey which is a good lean meat, the gravy isnt a prob as i use bisto granuals 15cals per 100ml and i dont put anthing in it but water, i dont drink at all so thats no problem, my problem will be staying away from the chocolate and other snacks, i may allow myself a little bit of choccy.
most of all i am not going to stuff myself silly so that i cant bloody move out my seat after lol

Lady Marmalade

Bad girl warning...
I'm with Jim, a little bit of everything and then exercise it off on Boxing Day!

Roasting new potatoes makes a nice change and is much lower fat than traditonal roasties. Scrub them, melt a little low fat spread in the oven dish or use cooking spray, sprinkle with salt and rosemary and roast for about 40 mins.

KD

Gone fishing
What about trying some goat meat for a change (assume it's a change anyway). Usually less calories than chicken or turkey and lower fat. Makes a bit of room for other things :)

Personally, I'd go for less of everything if I was dieting. Being a little more calorie aware, rather than 100%. Treating it as a 'practicing maintenance' day and making the choices that you'll hope to make when happily maintaining for life. A sneak preview ;)