Christmas Left-over Foods?

bilsat

Really likes to cook
What have you got left over from Christmas that you bought for visitors that are now left over? What meals can you use it in or do you, like us give it away to a neighbour/friend as you know you will never eat it!

So far.......

Big bag of mixed crisps.....only 2 packets eaten
Box of mince pies.....only 1 box eaten
Individual Xmas puddings.....only 1 eaten
Mixed cheeses.......trying to use in SW recipes
Trifles......no one wanted them
White bread......only 2 slices eaten
Boxing Day Dinner.........finely finished on Tuesday!

Pete

Had loads of bananas that were turning brown (I only like them when still yellow) because I was the only person eating fruit for that week.
I peeled and chopped them and put them in the freezer ready to use in my porridge in the mornings. Just trying them out now. Delicious. Softer than usually would be so works well in porridge (and adding them to the scalding porridge out of the microwave defrost the bananas and cools the porridge to sensible eating temperature perfectly.

Had loads of bananas that were turning brown (I only like them when still yellow) because I was the only person eating fruit for that week.
I peeled and chopped them and put them in the freezer ready to use in my porridge in the mornings. Just trying them out now. Delicious. Softer than usually would be so works well in porridge (and adding them to the scalding porridge out of the microwave defrost the bananas and cools the porridge to sensible eating temperature perfectly.

Great way to use up aged bananas - I love banana in porridge too.

Use them for this!....................

Pete’s Banana Ice-Cream
Ingredients
Ripe bananas
Milk from your daily allowance
*optional
*Strawberries
*Raspberries
*11g Options chocolate
1-2tbsp sweetener
1tsp vanilla essence

Method

Slice the ripe bananas into 8-10mm slices and place in a freezer-proof sealable tub and freeze for at least 4hrs preferable for 24 hours.

Remove from the freezer, using a hand blender, pulse the mixture to break up the ice crystals until the lumps turn to a smooth constituency, add the vanilla essence, add sweetener as required, depending on how ripe the bananas are. Add a small amount of milk to help it turn into a smooth mix. Return to the freezer for 1hour, repeat the above action until the mix has frozen and looks & feels like ice cream.
Mine was removed and mixed at least 4 times. But I couldn’t wait and this picture was taken after 3 mixes!

Add any fruit for flavouring or add option packet of Belgium chocolate.

BananaIceCreamSmall.jpg

I have just weighed the stilton and goats chesses into 1oz sized portions and put it in the freezer. I whizzed the bread in the food processor and made it into breadcrumds for coating fish and pork escalopes. I have frozen half of the mince pies for Easter. I have also lots of gammon and ham left so have frozen that too in portion sized amounts. I have cooked up some pasta and will add some left over cold meat and "fry" up some peppers and onions and add philly light and a smidge of pesto to make a pasta dish for tonight.

We've got a massive black forest gateau sat in the fridge, 2 cheesecakes (toffee and lemon brulee), a selection of continental meats (salami, parma ham, peperoni) and a selection of cheese :(

I'd hoped to use the meats in something, I know parma ham is quite low syn-wise, and that Italian salami has about 4 syns in for 28 g, I suppose I could use that to flavour something? Any ideas Pete???

The cheesecakes are not a problem, they are these defrost for 4 hours ones- chances are I'm never going to wait 4 hours for a snack. As for the gateau, well that will have to go. It's tempting.

We've got a cheese mountain in the fridge, a christmas cake, two christmas puddings, several boxes of chocolates. Trying to palm them off on skinny relatives!

leftover continental meats can be used with salads, potato salad (using ff fromage fraise or natural yougart). Also can be used with pasta/pasta bake/pasata salad.

I paid the price last night, 1lb on! as it is unusual for me to put weight on, I got a round of clapping, must be a first!.....

How about using the Parma ham to wrap chicken breasts in with cheese inside the chicken....

Pete’s Chicken wrapped in Bacon with cheese
use as a main meal

Serves 2

Ingredients

2 chicken breast
42g of mozzarella cheese, reduced Fat (1xHea)
6 slices of smoked lean bacon
3 Tomatoes
Peas
1 Onion
125Ml rice
Basil leaves

Method

Preheat the oven to 180c place bacon onto a board and remove any fat then using the back of a knife stretch the bacon then wrap the chicken slightly overlapping each other.

Apply Fry light to the casserole dish, place each chicken piece into dish. Cut the tomatoes and place either with the chicken or a small oven ready dish, sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and add a few basil leaves.

Bake in oven for approx 10-15 mins or until bacon is slightly browned and then remove from the oven and cover with the mozzarella cheese and return to the oven for a further 10 mins or until the chicken has cooked and the cheese has melted.

While the chicken is cooking. cook the finely chopped onion in a small pan with the peas.
When the rice has cooked remove from the pan and tip into a sieve and place back on the pan and steam it for a few minutes, remove and add the onion and peas and then plate up.

Remove chicken and tomatoes, remove the basil leaves and place on the rice.

Enjoy with salad.

BaconWrappedChicken-2.jpg

Use the salami in an instant mash pizza

Pete’s Pizza made from Instant Mash

Serves 4

Ingredients

Use 125g from a pack of Sainsbury Instant Mash (250g)
One Tsp of mixed herbs.

Method

Mix together then add hot water until the mix is like bread doe.
Add 1 egg and mix.
Spray a Flat Pan with 3-4 Fry Light shots, wipe across pan.
Press the mix into the pan and cover in clingfilm, rolling out with a rolling pin as thin as possible, remove clingfilm.
Cook one side until light brown then slide onto a flat plate with care, add 2-3 Fry Lights then return the pizza base and cook other side 3-6 mins depends on thickness.
Allow to cool on a cake rack.

Put Passata in a pan enough to cover Pizza base, add 1 TSP Tomato Puree and a few drops of “Worcester Sauce”,add chopped basil leaves, heat till thickened but DO NOT BOIL.
Coat the Pizza base with the Passata, cook your onion in balsamic vinegar until soft, add to base.
Add your choice of “Toppings”

This was my choice of Toppings : 5balls/40g Mozzarella, 1 slices of Lean Ham, 2 Mushrooms, sprinkled with 28g of Mild Hard Cheddar and place on Pre Heated Pizza Stone at 180/190 and cook until the cheese is bubbling.

Eat with Salad.
Pizza-3-3.jpg

Or to spice up jambalaya, substituting the chorizo for the salami!

Pete’s Spicier Creole Jambalaya-2

Serves 4 – 2 syns per serving

Ingredients

1x 175g chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
2 tablespoons Cajun spice
1x medium onion, chopped
2x garlic cloves, crushed
½ tspTurmeric
1x fresh red chilli, deseeded and chopped finely
1x yellow and red pepper, deseeded and chopped
500ml chicken or vegetable stock
4x Sainsbury’s Spicy & Succulent mini Chorizos=80g 2 Syn each.
1x 400g can chopped tomatoes
200g long grain rice
Parsley, chopped roughly
Bay leaf
* Tabasco, if you like it hotter!
lemon wedges

Method

Mix the Cajun with a small amount of water to make a paste, place the chicken breast in a small bowl and toss it to cover it with the sauce.

Spray a large frying pan with low fat cooking spray. Add the chicken and stir fry for 4 minutes.

Wash rice under cold water several times until the water runs clear, put to one side.
Stir in the onion, garlic, chilli and peppers and fry for another 4 minutes until they are slightly browned and softened.

Add the stock, chorizo, tomatoes, rice and the bay leaf, then bring it all to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes until the rice is cooked and has absorbed all the liquid. Drizzle with the lemon juice

* Add Tabasco, if you want it hotter

Serve with a salad.

SpicierJambalaya-2Large.jpg

I've got pringles, salted nuts, mince pies (lots:cool:), brandy clotted cream ice cream (delish) & christmas pud left. I won't eat the pringles they just don't taste the same & I'm not too keen anymore, nuts I'll resist & Christmas pud will be left until either next year or later in the year, OH will eat most as he loves it. I'll have the brandy clotted cream ice cream a little at a time:rolleyes:

Wow I never thought to freeze bananas, there's only me who eats them & I often just eat them because they are going brown.

Great way to use up aged bananas - I love banana in porridge too.

mmmmmmmmmmm not too sure if that will work but I'm going to give it a try:D

I have just weighed the stilton and goats chesses into 1oz sized portions and put it in the freezer. I whizzed the bread in the food processor and made it into breadcrumds for coating fish and pork escalopes. I have frozen half of the mince pies for Easter. I have also lots of gammon and ham left so have frozen that too in portion sized amounts. I have cooked up some pasta and will add some left over cold meat and "fry" up some peppers and onions and add philly light and a smidge of pesto to make a pasta dish for tonight.

Thanks for the reminder I forgot about freezing mince pies, I bought a 12 pack & my sister brought & left a 6 pack so I've loads left.

got some cheeses, will follow lucia and portion and freeze. other naughties were given to guests as they left! chocs & pringles will be eaten by kids eventually

Ooh Pete- marvellous :D I've written them all down in my little book of recipe's, I look forward to trying them.

Back