Christmas...None Diet Question

dukannotsofatty

Gold Member
I need your help and advise and experiences please....

Our daughter is 10, she is in year 6 at primary school and will be going to high school next year. She still believes in santa.

She is starting to hear certain rumours at school, last year it was that parents wrote the letters, but we managed to deflect that with false handwriting LOL, I've alway said to her, if they don't believe they won't recieve...which she has accepted.

We're concerned that if she continues to beleive when she joins high school next Sept that she will be picked on, laughed at etc., my hubby and I talked this morning about telling her that Father Christmas isn't real. We are massive christmas fans, love everything about it, and have always made it a big thing with DD. She will be devasted. However....my idea is that I tell her all about the real St Nick back in the 6th century and how the story got started. I looked it all up last year on google LOL. She is a very clever, intelligent little girl and if given the real facts will understand.. I hope

So do you have kids, how did they find out. How did you find out?
I can't remember finding out, I just remember one year having gone to toilet downstairs and the presents weren't there, and then what I believed was a very short time later going again and there they were!!!! Magic.

My eldest was 10 when we told him for the same reason. When we sat him down and told him he was devestated.....he said i know there is no santa but he enjoyed the pretence at home and said we had now spoiled it for him.......so I havent help you at all sorry .... and i believe xxx

you mean he isnt real :cry:

Aw Sid, thats exactly what I am scared about. Poor little man,

Ellie, I knew someone would say it LOL.

Much like Sids lil man, I seem to remember knowing he wasn't real but always very happily living the lie at home...it's all part of the Christmas spirit! I was gutted when I was 14 and my mum decided I was well and truely over the fantasy, so she asked me to help her with my younger bro's stockings :eek:(
I would prrsonally leave it be. As a smart girl, she will be able to use he emotional intelligence to be able to gauge the 'right' response in convo's at School...but then, I'm not a mother so I'm hardly the oracle.good luck x

I remember finding out for sure at primary school when a few kids started mouthing off in the playground. I'd had my suspicions for a while, and this just confirmed it for me. As soon as I found out for sure, I couldn't wait to go home and tell my little brother that it was all a lie, and he started crying. What a horrible sister I am!!! :eek:x

I would also leave it be. My 11 year old has just started secondary school and he still believes in Father Christmas, or is happy to go along with it. I'm sure he has his suspicions, but they don't get through primary school without some know-it-alls saying he isn't real anyway and he has ridden that. I don't suppose it will exactly be the talking point amongst his friends at secondary.

I kinda figured for myself he wasnt real when I started helping my mum wrap up xmas presents! Not my own obviously.

Im affraid she'll have to find out one day

thanks guys, i think may be we'll leave it then. I know two of her best friends don't believe and its likely that they will say something at some point. Unfortuantely they are both the type of girls that would do it too, :(

I like the idea of leaving it be and see how we go. Can always cross the secondary school bridge as we come to it.

thankyou for your wisdom my dukan friends. x

My son was about 10 when he asked me if Santa was like the easter bunny, when i asked him what he meant he said well there isnt an easter bunny coz i know you buy the easter eggs, is it the same for Santa? He worked it out for himself bless him. I think the kids these days grow up too fast, but then if they ask you directly then i would think you need to be honest with them especially if they have worked it out for themselves. x

Its always played on my mind, though not in a massively guilty way, that we teach our children not to lie, that lying is bad.....and then we perpetuate the biggest lie of all. I think we're going to wait and see. Might get another christmas out of it all LOL

I would leave it. My niece got told by friends when she was about the same age and didn't want to say to her mum incase she didn't get any presents. My daughter is coming up for 8 and not 100% sure that she believes as I am having to come up with more elaborate stories each year. I don't really want to burst her bubble because I STILL BELIEVE IN SANTA. :Christmas02r:

Back