Cruise PP Churros / choux pastry (repost)

anjuschka

Dukan Ancestor!!
Hi I worked this one out yesterday after reading about the failed churros recipe from the official Dukan site.

I halved the recipe given - just in case it went wrong, but ADDED an EGG. I think HALF an egg is probably enough to add to the oatbran mix, but I just added the one whole egg because it was easier. Here is the recipe I used:

Warning - uses full daily allowance of tolerateds if you count the wheatbran as tolerated.

125ml / 1/2 cup of milk
1/4 ts baking powder
1 TB cornflour
2 TB oatbran
1 TB wheatbran
1 small pinch of salt
1/2 TB of splenda / other sweetener
1 Egg

+ cinnamon and splenda to sprinkle (I didn't)

Put milk in a pan and add all dry ingredients (not the egg!)[pic]. Mix well and then heat and cook the dough until really sticky. You have to keep stirring all the time as the cornflour will start thickening very quickly. Keep cooking on low heat for a few minutes [pic].
Take off the heat and leave to cool a little (you don't want scrambled egg!)
Then beat in the egg a little at a time until well incorporated. As I said I used the whole egg but less might be enough.

Using your biggest star nozzle pipe onto a baking sheet [pic] - I got 5 strips with a food piping bag (not cake decorating type that's too small).

Bake at high temp 240C -fan assisted if poss- for ~15 minutes until risen & browned. They will be a little crunchy on the outside and a bit squishy on the inside. A bit like mini eclairs really [pic]. Mine spread and ended up flattish because of the 'surplus' egg.

Sprinkle with cinnamon and sweetener if liked and eat warm, they lose crispyness on cooling (but were still nice dipped into cinnamon fromage frais).

Quite a bit of work, but definitely worth it for the occasional treat.

Attachments

• 1 mix.jpg
    1 mix.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 2 cook.jpg
    2 cook.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 3 pipe.jpg
    3 pipe.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 4 baked.jpg
    4 baked.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 317
Ooo this looks nice, would be nice as a family treat.

Back