Citric Acid in the water flavourings?

Midnight-Sparkles

I can do this!
Okay so I know I made a post on here the other day questioning the citric acid in the spag bol meals, and Starlight kindly informed me that Exante bars have small amounts of citric acid in them and its fine.

Am I to assume this goes for the Wahoo water flavourings too, as I just ordered some and dont want them to affect my weight loss.

Certainly, Cambridge diet water flavourings also contain citric acid. But CD recommend you don't have them in the first two weeks.

Don't know about the citric acid as I don't use them but I thought I'd mention that they sell these in Asda too.

Oh well I guess I will give them a go and see what happens. Thanks Spangles :)

And BordersGirl its good to know I can get these from Asda, I wonder if they are cheaper? I paid £1.99 per box

I think they're £2 at Asda, so not cheaper but it might be convenient if you don't need to order anything else.

Thanks for the info on the water flavour from asda borders girl. Is it in the juice aisle or by the slim fast etc? And do you know what it is called? X

I've no idea where they are in the store as I do most of my shopping on line as it's cheaper to pay for a delivery than drive all the way to the store. On the Asda Grocery site they show up under the water section. They also seem to sell them at Waitrose - £1.93 for 12 there.

I'm still really unsure about these flavourings. I did some research and apparently the citric acid can knock some people out of ketosis and start cravings, it has also been known to slow down weight loss.

The citric twist is the worst of the two flavours as Citric acid is the first ingredient listed on it. So I think I'm going to give them as miss as It's too big a risk to take. I'm really annoyed as I spent £8.00 on four packs which I probably wont use now. :mad:

Has anyone else been using them? If so what are your experiences? Have you been hungrier or craving stuff? Also does anyone know where I can buy powdered flavourings with malic acid in? I did find some on Ebay but they would have worked out at nearly £11 (inc p+p) for just 100g a bit too pricy I think.

I think both malic acid and citric acid can affect ketosis actually although the citric acid perhaps more so. There is a discussion about it here:

Malic Acid v Citric Acid?? - Topic

I don't think they'd do too much in moderation however, so maybe if you restricted yourself to 1 packet per day? I think that the artificial sweeteners that these drinks contain have more to do with making you feel hungry than the citric acid to be honest. I've had the odd glass of flavoured water (containing citric acid) since I started this diet but I'm not a big fan so they've never really affected me and certainly never kicked me out of ketosis.

There are a few pre prepared soft drinks on the market containing malic acid rather than citric acid. Perhaps you could look at using one of those instead?

And I'm sure you could sell the water flavourings on Ebay if you didn't want to keep them.

I think both malic acid and citric acid can affect ketosis actually although the citric acid perhaps more so. There is a discussion about it here:

Malic Acid v Citric Acid?? - Topic

I don't think they'd do too much in moderation however, so maybe if you restricted yourself to 1 packet per day? I think that the artificial sweeteners that these drinks contain have more to do with making you feel hungry than the citric acid to be honest. I've had the odd glass of flavoured water (containing citric acid) since I started this diet but I'm not a big fan so they've never really affected me and certainly never kicked me out of ketosis.

There are a few pre prepared soft drinks on the market containing malic acid rather than citric acid. Perhaps you could look at using one of those instead?

And I'm sure you could sell the water flavourings on Ebay if you didn't want to keep them.

Thanks for posting that link bordersgirl had a quick look through it. Will read through it properly later.

You hear such horror stories about citric acid and VLCD that it's really hard to know what to do. Right now I am safe and cosy in my ketosis blanket and for the last three weeks have found doing Exante relatively easy with maybe one or two days when I was really hungry. The rest of the time, I've not been hungry or craved anything. I guess I'm just scared of drinking something that might start it all off, as I know from experience that once those cravings start I am doomed. lol

I have been buying sainsbury's kiwi and strawberry sparkling water which contains malic acid and this is fine although it does give me heartburn, I also had the Exante water Flavourings, but you can't buy them from the site unless you spend a minimum of £36. So I guess when my tubs run out I will just stick to plain water and the occasional glass of strawberry and Kiwi. I did try some coke zero, but my tastebuds have changed so much that It tasted weird and couldn't drink it :rolleyes:

I'll probably just let the kids use the water flavourings, they'll be great in the summer when they regularly take water bottles to school they dont like plain water so it will add a bit of zing to it. :D

After all that, I finally decided throw caution to the wind and try one. I opened the Citrus twist one and followed the instructions. I must admit it did smell really nice it reminded me of lemonade and yet when I took a sip it was pretty much flavourless, and the flavour that was there wasn't nice. So I tipped it away and started again with the berry flavouring. Once again I followed the instructions and again it did smell nice but upon tasting it :jelous: bleurgh, it was so sour it made me wince. So whether or not they had citric acid in them or not became irrelevent as I didn't like either of them anyway:rolleyes:

Oh well you live and learn :D

After all that, I finally decided throw caution to the wind and try one. I opened the Citrus twist one and followed the instructions. I must admit it did smell really nice it reminded me of lemonade and yet when I took a sip it was pretty much flavourless, and the flavour that was there wasn't nice. So I tipped it away and started again with the berry flavouring. Once again I followed the instructions and again it did smell nice but upon tasting it :jelous: bleurgh, it was so sour it made me wince. So whether or not they had citric acid in them or not became irrelevent as I didn't like either of them anyway:rolleyes:

Oh well you live and learn :D

Shows everyone is different I use both flavours very regular and enjoy them loads :)

I put 3 sachets in 2 litre bottle of water and really enjoy it :)

I think the problem is with my tastebuds girlsbig98 I tried coke zero as well and it tasted rank. Whenever I do a VLCD it really alters the taste of things for me even my cups of teas taste really sweet as if I've loaded them with tons of sugar, when I only have one sweetner.:rolleyes:

Back