Citric Acid

nay

Hey everyone

I dont know if any of you know the answer, but what is it with citric acid that we can't put it in our water? I can't figure it out, does it mess with ketosis and if so, how?

Citric acid like most things, can knock you out of ketosis.

Actually it's interesting, I wonder why exactly it's citric acid and now for example malic acid that kicks you out of ketosis.

The scientific answer is that it's to do with the Krebs Cycle (and possibly the Cori Cycle). If you want to blow your mind, google it :D but the short version is that it's how our bodies make energy from the food we eat.

So it's hard to give a simple explanation but Lyle McDonald, author of 'The Ketogenic Diet' writes:

Possibly citric acid might affect ketosis by affecting liver metabolism, primarily the Krebs cycle. Some individuals report that citric acid prevents them from entering ketosis but does not affect ketosis once it has been established. One study, examining very low-calorie diets, found that the consumption of citric acid inhibited ketosis and increased appetite in many individuals. Ultimately, individuals will have to determine for themselves whether citric acid... has any effect on ketosis, appetite or fat loss on a ketogenic diet.

You'll probably pick up from that that not everyone is affected by citric acid. But as Cambridge Head Office can't really divine who will be affected and who won't, the message is to avoid citric acid, just in case.

Thanks Lily! Thats very interesting, I know on S&S we are advised against citric acid yet they sell water flavour with it in- very confusing! Sadly I think experimenting to see if I am affected by citric acid will be counter-productive, either I'll kick myself out of ketosis or will find I can have citric acid increasing the range of things I can eat- not what I want at all, the VLCD is meant to be restrictive.

Back