city breaks

ScarlettStar86

Gold Member
I am looking for ideas for a relatively cheap, fun city break for a couple in our mid 20s.
We went to Prague 3 years ago and loved it, would go back but then we would never see anywhere new! I am hoping to get the money together to book it as a surprise for him as a way of saying thanks for everything he has done for me since we've been together. I know he went to Barcelona before we met and he loves it there but again not sure if its better to go somewhere new to us both. Any ideas please?
Checklist- cheap as possible flights/b&b
Nice food
Some sights to see/culture to explore
A little nightlife if we want it (or just a few nice bars!)
Europe (as we would only be going for 3-4 nights so don't want a long flight)

Suggestions please! Xx

Last edited:
I'm going to suggest Brussels, you can get good deals with train & hotel sometimes through eurostar/channel tunnel website. It's a lovely city and I have to recommend being in the main square from 10.30pm for a good surprise that happens most nights.

We went to Bratislava a few weeks ago & that was cheap, we flew with Ryan Air & stayed in a hotel near the railway station I can't remember the cost of the flights, just over £100 I think, but the hotel for 5 nights cost £274. OH works on the railway so we took trips out to Vienna (lovely but expensive), Prague which as you say is cheap & we also went to Budapest, very cheap & nice.

I'd check on Ryan air website & see where they fly to & take it from there, have you tried Trivago for accomodation I generally find cheap places to stay on there. What about Russia, I think one of the low cost airlines fly there & I bet it's cheap when you get there. I can't think of anywhere else.

If you're on facebook add me as a friend & take a look at my Bratislave photos if you want.

hmmph think thats out too! they do fly from luton but the only flight to bratislava is at 6.45am, to be there 2 hours prior to this we would need to catch a train at about 2am and would only be able to have the days we are away off work so cant really do that just yet.
Have found a fab deal for budapest though, flights and accommodation for £200 for 3 nights! Don't think I'm quite brave enough to book without consulting him at all, but will see if I can keep as much of it from him as possible. thanks for the help ladies :) xx

hmmph think thats out too! they do fly from luton but the only flight to bratislava is at 6.45am, to be there 2 hours prior to this we would need to catch a train at about 2am and would only be able to have the days we are away off work so cant really do that just yet.
Have found a fab deal for budapest though, flights and accommodation for £200 for 3 nights! Don't think I'm quite brave enough to book without consulting him at all, but will see if I can keep as much of it from him as possible. thanks for the help ladies :) xx

We went to Budapest for a day, it was cheap, 2 beers £1.75:D

Hey hun
My parents went to Krakow, Poland for a long weekend and they really enjoyed it!

It was cheap to get there and cheap as chips once you are there :) They did lots of sightseeing as well. One of the places I'd like to go to :)

Hi,

Recently for a city breaks I have been to Barcelona and Madrid - both worked out quite cheaply and are great citys for culture, shopping and nightlife.

Back