Clothes size charts Vs. the real world!

Pinkie :)

Slowly shrinking again!
Hey all!

So, with being 5 weeks in to LLT so far... and having had a few disappointingly low weight-losses the last 2 weigh-in's... thought I'd take my measurements, so in the future, at least I can tell if I'm losing inches, on those low weight-loss weeks!

Unfortunately, my LLC never took these for me when I started, so doing it myself today!

However... it's been far from encouraging! Now, I currently fit quite comfortably into a size 14 to 16... (was size 16 to 18 when started)! But, when comparing my measurements to an online UK size chart, apparently I am hovering between an 18 & a 20! :eek:

This makes no sense!

Anyone else confused by your inches, versus those specified on clothes size charts?! :confused:

TIA... :)

Hey I am a CDer sorry but I saw this tread and I have to agree. It is so annoying, that said what is more annoying is the size difference between different shops and even in the same shop. I bought a skirt and trousers in the Next sale. Skirts fits and looks lovely can't even get the trousers on! xx

Hey onlyme... :)

Nah, CD'ers welcome here too! Oh yes, you are totally right about the variable sizes between shops... and as you say, even in the same shops!

I have never managed to fit any of the F&F range at Tesco for example... very frustrating as that range is actually designed for the curvier women! Yet, the shapes and sizes are so off, that as a normal size 16, I'd find it impossible to even squeeze into an 18! Would just end up walking out the changing room feeling even more huge than before! Even more damaging to your self-esteem when you are having to dress in a 'plus' size range anyway! These manufacturers have no idea how damaging that can be!

xx

Last edited:
Ok... Just found this online... which is quite interesting!

"Women’s Dress Sizes - The Truth:

Given this information I enlisted the help of some ladies in order to extend the research (many thanks by the way) and set about measuring jeans and comparing them to the labels.

I’ve been saying for a while that I believe sizes are in fact one up from the label but it was worse, in all cases 2 whole dress sizes !

Here is a table of the results of my research, numerous measurments and garments used.
It should be noted all the clothes compared were the same style and fit

A Note on Sizes !
There does appear to be a slight difference of opinion in how UK/US sizes are converted, I have tried to use what appears to be the most common and authoritive.

The Results of Our Survey
Label Size
..Should Measure..Does Measure..Real Size
.......UK 4
...........24"................28 inches.............10

.......UK 8
...........26"................30 inches.............12
.......UK 10
..........28"................32 inches.............14
.......UK 12
..........30"...............32-36 inches.........16
.......UK 14
..........32"................38 inches.............18

The above pattern happened repeatedly, in fact I could find no instance when it did not happen!"

So, this would back up what I'm saying... That if you fit into a size 14 clothes size, then you actually might have what size charts depict as a size 18!

How odd!!

Last edited:
Clothes sizes are very misleading because manufacturers making up their rules as they go along.
Don't pay too much attention to them but more to how that item of clothing makes you look and feel! ;)

Very true Magic, it is quite interesting when you look at the sizing of vintage clothes however.. Marilyn was allegedly a size 16 but no way was she a size 16 in our sizes more like a 10 or a 12!!

J
xx

It's because women's waist lines have expanded over the years so retailers, to make us all feel better changed the sizes too ;)

lol smacks of a conspiracy!!! hehehehe, I do adore vintage though albeit having to buy in bigger sizes makes me feel bad about my size!!

j
xx

LOL! Love the idea that's it's a conspiracy!! ;)

Yup, you're right though magic, if an item of clothing makes you feel good, then who cares what size it is... (plus, you can always rip the size label out, and after a while you'd forget what size it was anyway!) hehe...

And Jezebella, that's an interesting point actually... I always did wonder about Marilyn being a size 16! But yes, you're right of course... a 16 then was probably more like a 10 or 12 now... :)

That is interesting but and was correct for when I was bigger but my waist now measures just under 32" inches and I am a 12 bottom in most shops and my mums waist measures 28 inches and she is a size 10 bottom, she can't get into most 8's.

It's shape overall as well I suppose not just measurements we both have hips and bums and the jeans aren't snug around the waists

Back