coffee/ketosis

sylar1986

Hi all i'm currently on day 11 of TS and have drank nothing but water so far, i had a black coffee last night and was just wondering if many of you have ever been kicked out of ketosis from having coffee? (i know it says it IS allowed etc) but i've come across a few threads from the past where people blame coffee for the reason they got kicked out of ketosis which sounds strange..
Apart from buying some strips to check for ketosis i just thought i'd see how many of you have coffee regularly and have had no problems :)

I don't drink coffee only water, but if exante allow it I can't imagine it making any difference to ketosis. Sounds like people making excuses for other naughty behaviour to me ;)

I've been drinking black coffee for the past 7 weeks and it hasn't stopped my weight loss. As its listed as something you at allowed to drink it shouldn't effect anything. I couldn't get by without a cuppa of coffee in the morning.

Hi Smidge, i thought the same to be honest lol i might just stick to water too for the time being. Thanks Becca i know what you mean, it was nice to have a cup after nearly 2 weeks without my caffine fix!, think i've read too many articles about people saying it affected them in some way so for now i'll stick to my water ^^

I understand your fear lol I've not had anything other than water and the exante blackcurrent mix for almost 12 weeks now! I'm too scared to come out of ketosis from drinking anything like coke zero!! Not sure I'll be having too much coke or tea when I come off, I quite like not relying on morning caffeine :)

Hi Sylar,

I have been doing this for 5 weeks now and most days I have a cup of coffee with a bottle of fizzy water. I have atleast 3 or 4 cups of coffee a day with sweetner and I haven't been out of ketosis because of it. I have tried the caramel coffee today which is a bit bitter.

So far I have lost 1 stone 13lbs so hasn't harmed me. However I think everyone reacts differently. I decided not to experiment with coke zero and various approved flavoured waters that have been discussed on this forum.

I hope that helps a bit...

Mels72xx

Coffee wont knock you out of ketosis, its allowed on all the VLCD. Youll probably find the people whove said its knocked them out have been using those damn ketostix which have given negative results.

I have several coffees a day (with skimmed milk - which is allowed on S&S) and it does me no harm.

Have your coffee and enjoy it :)

I have never come across anyone coming out of keto due to coffee... like starlight said ... if people rely on the Ketstix to see if they are in ketosis and get a false negative then of course they will blame anything they might have had other than packs n water etc...

I was given some Ketostix by a well meaning mate who is no longer doing VLCD so I tried them ....

I know from my breath and the fact I have been 100% TS for 10 days now (not even a morsel of anything extra has passed my lips) that I am in full Ketosis.

Guess what the stick says though.... it says "just a trace" of ketones in my urine... with breath as bad as mine I know that's sh1te of the highest order... and I drink coffee everyday ... dowe egberts hazelnut is just to die for nom nom nom ..

yeh i've been knocking the coffee back all week and still have the keto taste in my mouth and seeing losses, so all good :)

Hey, personally I drink plenty of coffee and have not had a problem.

But a couple of things on the subject: yes, some people can be thrown out of ketosis by caffeine and it wouldn't be fair to say that they're just making excuses. It is proven that caffeine can (I stress CAN) affect the blood sugar and that in turn can affect the state of ketosis in the body. Why do you think you are not allowed any caffeine when you're going for a fasting blood test?
And also...don't give too much credence to the ketostix. They are not reliable. So stick to the plan, have coffee if you want to and see how you manage and how you feel. And if you find that despite being 100% you are not getting the results you have hoped, by all means cut out the caffeine again and up the water and see if it makes a difference. It's a learning curve :)

Hi, I have been doing this for weeks now and could not survive without my black coffee every day and I have lost weight every week. Might have a go at that hazelnut coffee, Valentine, sounds good!! :) xx

not heard of caffeine knocking peeps out of keto.... learn something new everyday lol.... ketostix are defo rubbish.... your breath is the best indicator I think lol... if it smells like a camels arse ya hit keto lol.... I find it gets better after a few weeks though and goes back to normalish... also ya hunger goes..

black coffee is my saviour I have to say ... oh and water too of course xx

Back