Cognitive Behaviour Therapy advice

AmandaJayne

Trainee Maintainer
Found this on the Fathappens site:

Nigel Denby's Factsheet on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
162862-Nigel%20Denby50.jpg
If you asked any audience to please put up their hands if they are trying to change something in their lives, you are assured to get a huge response. 03-10-2007

If you asked the same audience who has been able to successfully change what they wanted to change, you are assured to get a less impressive response. Change is difficult. And changing our diets and life long eating habits and increasing our level of physical activity and keeping an eye on our salt intake and not to eat too much of this and eat less of that ….., is a tall order. It involves a complete change in mindset- It means you need to learn to change the way you think in order to change your eating problems.
Cognitive behavioural therapy is a treatment that aims to change the way people feel by altering the way they think and behave. There can be a vicious circle between situations, your thoughts, your feelings and actions. CBT helps to address this viscous cycle by helping you to change how you think (“Cognitive”) and what you do (“Behaviour”). CBT focuses on the present and current problems and difficulties, and not so much the past. CBT is a treatment recommended by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) as well as the Royal College of General Practitioners.
There is evidence that CBT can help with a wide range of mental health problems including anxiety, addiction, depression, panic, phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorder and eating problems, such as overeating as well as under eating. There is plenty of well-researched evidence to show that the majority of dieters regain weight after a period of time. This may simply be because we do not get taught the tools to maintain weight!
CBT can help to make sense of overwhelming problems by breaking them down into smaller parts, making it clearer and easier to see how they are interconnected and how they may affect you. These parts are:
• A situation – a problem, even or difficult situation – e.g. stressed day at work. From this can follow:
• Thoughts – have people ignored me, am I a failure?
• Feelings of frustration and feeling low
• Physical feelings – feeling puckish, having the urge to eat
• Actions – reaching for the biscuit tin
Each of these areas can affect the others. How you think about a problem can affect how you feel physically and emotionally. It can also alter what you do about it.
A leading London psychiatrist said: “CBT works at solving people’s problems in the here and now. Part of it is teaching people to become their own therapist, giving them techniques they can use themselves.
If you are interested in CBT as a therapy for lifelong eating problems discuss it with your GP. Anybody who offers CBT should be fully trained and qualified in the therapy. For more information contact: British Association form Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies: www.babcp.com or the Royal College of Psychiatrists at www.rcpsych.ac.uk.

Hope it helps...

CBT can be very helpful..........but the NHS waiting list is up to 2 years in some areas.

I have tried CBT and to be honest it didn't do anything for me. I found it extremely hard to do what was asked of me.

my doctor wants to send me to cbt, not for the weight but because i get headaches and stomach pains.....not quite sure what to make of it.....

To use CBT - you have to train your brain and practice.......some people finder it easier than others.
It's like using a muscle you haven't used before !!

Good morning' ScotsDistraction,

Loved your post. Particularly the part where you describe 'the magical ten seconds'. I've never thought of it like that before.

Quote" Some people find it changes their lives - some people find it only really touches the tip of the iceberg, and require a more in-depth form of therapy."

Yes, I think you're right. I found the CBT I did with LL useful, but at the same time, it dredged up other stuff which I could not deal with. Unfortunately I am not able to talk about this stuff to anyone (why burden them), so my GP has put me on a waiting list to speak with a psychologist. In the meantime I am taking anti-depressants to get through the day.

I do have hope that I will get through this difficult time.

Thanks again for your post SD. It'll help a lot of other members too. I wish you the best of luck too on your own weight loss journey.

Tata

AmandaJayne

Mornin' again, SD!

Yeah, thanks for your reply. I did have the option of doing an NHS CBT course rather than wait for the psychologist appointment (the waiting list is shorter). However, I have decided to wait.

I do have some good friends, but they have problems of their own. The last thing I want to do is witter on about me. Also, when I had spoken to my GP about wanting to return to anti-depressants she had asked some probing questions which flagged up some issues I had never spoken about before. I was really upset. It was then she suggested speaking to a psychologist.

I just feel that speaking to someone who is qualified to tease out some information from me which I can't speak about is probably the best way forward. Although I am terrified!

I think you're right about putting money into 'talking' therapies. All this talk recently about anti-depressants not working has been somewhat irritating. I know that they have helped me to get through the day without crying for no particular reason (embarrassing). They are not the solution to the problem though. The benefits of talking through problems is immense, but the problem for many people (including me) is that actually opening up about problems is the problem!

When I did CBT with LL it did help a lot. However, it also flagged up other stuff which I could not discuss and just mentally put back in its box. However, the genie was out of its bottle. I realised that I could not move on without outside help.

I was thinking yesterday about your 'magical ten seconds' - what I labelled the ten seconds that could save your life. Always the dramatic! It sounds like one of those weight-loss soundbites, doesn't it.

I observed myself going through the usual reactive behaviours, on self-destruct.:( Today I will attempt to stop before and count the ten seconds. And THINK. I work in a school so will have several math-related support materials to help me:D.

Anyway, better go and get my 'face' on.

Ta ta,
AmandaJayne

p.s. Do you stay in Scotland?

Mornin' SD,

I have to ask, who is that gorgeous moggy on your avator? He (or she) is looking quizzical and slightly concerned, like he's just asked a question and is waiting for an honest reply.

It's nice to 'speak' with someone who not only identifies with what I'm saying, but comes back with loads of super observations which I feel are based on a roller-coaster of past experience? It's funny that it is easier to 'speak' with someone like this, rather than on the phone or face to face.

I have become aware of a 'wall' or barrier which is permanently kept in place to protect me from EVERYONE. I don't know yet how to remove it, but I pesume it won't happen until I am comfortable without it.

Anyway, gotta get ready for work...

Regards,
AmandaJayne

Hia SD!

Dim or not, Honey's lovely. I had to have my cat Tab put down a year last October, he was 18 and failing. At the moment I am considering replacing him with a new kitten. My kids have already named the kitten, and we haven't found one yet.

I figured you were someone who'd had an 'eventful' life; you speak a lot of wisdom and experience. Your posts have been most helpful.:)

I am a classroom assistant (or support for learning assistant as we have all been relabelled, with slight reduction in salary:(). I do love my job and it keeps me going. It enables me to be at home for the kids too.

How did you find Minimins?

Mornin' SD,

Yes indeed, Tab had a great life. He was found abandoned in a shed, after the owners of the house had moved out. I took him in because no one else wanted him. I was living alone in a flat at the time and he quickly became a great flatmate. I took him to my parents home regularly (on the bus) to play in their garden.

He loved travelling on the bus (and in cars). He has subsequently moved with me everywhere I've lived. I've been in Scotland for fourteen years now and living in a cul-de-sac by a woodland. Tab quickly established himself in the community, making friends (he liked people, even children), and even living part time at a house round the corner. Kevin and Harriet found him asleep on their bed one day. He'd jumped on their porch, then into the open bedroom window. He had made firm friends with their cat Mojo, and they went round together.

Their young daughter taught him how to use the catflap so he could get in when the windows were closed. It was she who gave my daughter the idea of what to call the 'new kitten' because she always referred to Tab as 'Jumper'. So, that's what the new kitten will be named.

Tab used to walk with me when I went to the postbox, and also came with me when I went for a walk in the woods to see the horses. I loved it when he did that. He obviously liked to spend time with me - and I never took cat biscuits as a bribe, either! When I was living in Liverpool, and left the house early in the morning to walk to the bus stop, Tab came with me to the end of the road. Incredibly, at the end of the day after getting off the bus and walking into my road, I would often find him sitting by the entry waiting to walk me back to the house. Is it any wonder that I adored him!

Yesterday, my daughter (now 14) asked that we visit a rescue centre. I replied that I was worried that I may 'fall in love' with a kitten (or two) and want to take them home immediately. I want to wait until the Easter fortnight so I can spend a couple of weeks acclimatising the kittens to our home, train them to use the litter tray, etc.

Does Honey talk to you all the time? My Grandad's cat was like that. It drove us crazy! Wanted to go out MIAOW! Wanted to come in MIAOW! Wanted some food MIAOW! Wanted attention MIAOW! 24 hours a day. She lived with me for a while when my Grandad became ill, Tab found her a bit much. She later moved to my parents home to live the rest of her life.

My kids are now 14 and 13. They are great and love me unconditionally - that means a lot.

A ha! I was going to ask you what 'diet' you were doing. Last year I lost 100lbs doing LL. Yes really. Sadly I'm putting it all back on as we speak. I know I have deeper issues which I cannot deal with right now, but at the same time I do have hope that I can overcome these.

I have a vision of me wearing a pair of green shorts and t-shirt last summer in a size 12, posing on a cruise ship. That's a distant memory, but I am holding on to the hope that I'll wear them again.

So the world is your oyster as far as choosing a career is concerned? Hmm. Are you married/with children? If not, I suppose you have more choice about what you want to do. You can be more flexible. I never thought I'd end up working in a school because I'd always worked in offices (before kids). After the kids were born I became a childminder, then when they were older did voluntary work a couple of days a week at their primary school. I loved it, and discovered that I could actually get paid to do it! I went on the supply list and started applying for permanent posts. The rest is history.

Last year, when I had confidence, I even imagined that I could retrain as a teacher, sadly that is a million miles away now...

Anyway, got to go to work...

Have a great day SD, thanks for your messages,

AmandaJayne

p.s. You may wonder why I only post early in the morning. It is because hubby uses the internet connection all weekend to play World or Warcraft. If not him, daughter uses it to chat on Bebo/MSN, or son uses it to do research for school project (?) aye right. We need wireless and we need it now!

Back