Cold rice meals

dipsy1512

I Find that rice goes a bit clumpy when it's cold but really want to make something for my lunches at work. What can I use/do to stop the rice from sticking together. Oh and does anyone know if there are any packet rices that are free on ee? Thinking I could do one of those with a big if chicken thrown in

Xx

There are 9 flavours of Batchelor's Super Rice (I'm old school, I still call it Batchelor's Savoury Rice :)) listed on the SW web site, all syn free on EE and Green. As far as regular boiled rice goes, I'd spray it with a little Fry Light when it's still warm and give it a good mix, that might stop it clumping as much. Having said that, I haven't tried it, but that would be my first thought.

Best thing I ever did was buy a rice maker. I thought for years, "what a load of tosh, who needs a machine to make rice?" But actually it comes out fluffier and perfect every time (better than I ever could) and never clumps together. If you eat lots of rice I highly recommend it! I bought this model off Amazon, "SKG 3.0L Fully Automatic Electric Rice Cooker with Intelligent Multiple Cooking Modes 220V".

If you don't want to go out n buy one, silly question but, ever tried washing your rice before cooking? There's usually starch on the outside of rice that'll make it stick. Also, if u use good basmati (rather than generic ling grain rice) I find it sticks less. Good luck! x

Thanks for the replies.

I have never come across a rice maker, so def will take a look and I will have a look at the bachelors packets too.

Thanks again x

When we cook long grain rice we cook until the water has evaporated then tip into a sieve, place the sieve on top of the saucepan & cover, allow to steam for a few minutes with the heat on low. This always gives us stick free rice!

Back