Comfort Eating :(

Souffle

I'm having a few issues at work. I feel like I'm being bullied, spoken to and treated badly and it's been getting me really down. Unfortunately, I decided to binge on 32.5 syns today and now I feel even worse because now it means that these people aren't only affecting my work life but my personal life and eating habits too.

Sorry, just needed to vent and admit my syns!

So sorry you're having a hard time. You have no reason to feel guilty, we all do this when we're going through anything tough. Next time you feel a binge coming on though, try to either take your mind off it by doing something else, do lots of exercise, that can get some feelings out, or have a bit of a binge but eat loads of free food and syns within your allowance, I know that sounds silly, but when my nanna was mugged I sort of lost control and just ate and ate, but I kept a little bit of control by eating things I could have, I can't remember what syns I had but I used them up, then had a hifi which was my HEB, then had some syn free rice pudding with fruit ect... I still lost that week and it was a one off, I know we need to stop using food to help with our emotions, but that's a hard cycle to break so try and just take the control to only have things your allowed within your allowance.

By the way it sounds like you did well anyway, 32.5 syns isn't bad really, I and I'm sure a lot of other people on here have had far more in one sitting before.

As for work you really need to get the situation down, as its not fair that they're effecting your life at all, is there anyone you can report them to?

Not really, they're all very cliquey there so reporting them to their mates isn't going to help really. I've applied to other places cos I'm fed up of it.

Thinking about it I suppose 32.5 isn't bad as long as I stay in control for the rest of the week. I didn't even eat much crap just had loads of ready made mash with my dinner (ultimate comfort food) and crisps and go ahead biscuits earlier in the day. At least I didn't reach for the family size cadbury bar! :)

I had a lot of problems in work last year but thankfully have now found another job which I'm starting after Christmas. I think the situation at work was part of the reason I gained so much weight. Just wanted to say I understand totally and wish you luck in your job hunt - PLUS - as you said you only need to cut back on sysn for the rest of the week and you'll be back on track! Don't let the *******'s get you down.

On a plus side you know your trigger and have come here for support, next time come here first before the binge and let us talk you out of it lovely <3 keep smiling, i left my weekend job because of other people so your not alone :)

I am a big comfort eater and really struggle with it. I have found that now I tend to buy bad foods, but not eat them. It is as if the comfort comes from having the bad food. Strange. My consultant also recommended buying something unfood related so a new nail varnish, magazine etc. (nothing too pricey) and use this as comfort. I know that ones not for everyone as a lot of people dont have a lot of disposable income, but it has worked for me before too.

As Donna said, 32.5 syns isn't that bad and it is good that you counted and have recorded it. You can easily make that up :) Good luck!

I understand about the whole comfort eating thing, I used to do it to. I found (and know it sounds crazy) that exercising helps to some extent or even finding something non food related to fill in time.

:gen126:Aw sorry to hear youre having a bad time! Just draw a line under today, and if things are difficult just bob on here for support. We are all here to help and support each other. You may in turn help others. I was once bullied at work and things became so bad that I actually went the other way and stopped eating for a while. I then found another job and started eating again, perhaps a little too much as I was content. I am now retired and at target :) hope you get things sorted. Sending hugs

I'm trying to switch from comfort eating to comfort pampering myself. It's been a bit hit and miss really as I have had a few times where it all went a bit chocolatey but it has certainly helped. I bought some really nice bath oil from Clarins and that's my emergency self prescribed treat now. Soak in the bath with my kindke, a bowl of frozen grapes and a wine glass full of SW world pims lol (SF lemonade fruit cucumber mint ice and a tiny drop of balsamic vinegar) and my very expensive very deliciously lovely bath oil. The family all know now that the fancy stuff belongs to mom and anyone who even looks in its direction is dicing with death.

That's quite a good idea Legomom! I might try that. I love a luxury bubble bath x

I'm new to the site and really excited about having some positive support while I try to lose weight. I have a HUGE problem with "comfort eating" and your post came up when I did a search. Is there a forum or group or anything specifically for comfort eaters? Certainly we are not the only ones....
TIA
Amanda

I am a big comfort eater and really struggle with it. I have found that now I tend to buy bad foods, but not eat them. It is as if the comfort comes from having the bad food. Strange.

Woah! I do the same with non-food stuff. I was a compulsive shopper, and tended to buy lots of pretty things (dresses, shoes, makeup, etc) whether I needed them or not, as a comfort. Obviously - this doesn't do my finances any good, so then I'd get in financial problems, feel peed off, and as soon as I got paid I'd do the same all over! (You can imagine - my spare room is CRAMMED with 'stuff'). Every so often I'll have an e-bay sale to get rid of some, but that isn't really the answer.

BUT - then I found Pinterest and I've found that I'm just as happy 'collecting' the things there as in real life (at the time I mentally tell myself that I can buy them another day, but by then the moment of madness has passed). I also collect recipes for things I might make to eat 'one day' - luckily I don't have a cupboard full of baking supplies, or this could be dangerous!

Rebecca Davis (beccybean) on Pinterest

On a more serious note - best of luck looking for a new job Souffle. In the meantime, can I suggest, don't get 'sad', get 'mad'. This will put you in a better mindset to be proactive about these people. Find that new job! Get slim and show them they won't affect you with their ridiculous and sad cattiness! Even to point out that actually 'that was a bit spiteful, and not really an appropriate way to treat someone at work'. Show them (and yourself) the tougher you! It'll be hard, but will put the smile back on your face xx

I've just found this thread and I can totally relate to all of you! I'm a huge comfort eater and I really struggle after work not to reach for the chocolate ( I'm a teacher and everyday is stressful) I found tonight that aqua fit took away my cravings!

Back