Coming off cambridge....

Hi all,
due to trying for a baby I am planning on coming off the cambridge diet. I have epilepsy so being on an 810kcal diet is okay but being pregnant and not realising I could make myself seriously ill.
I am on step 2, I've lost a stone in 5 weeks :)
I want to continue to loose weight but by eating conventional foods and mealtimes, but not to risk my health if I got pregnant.
i have learnt so many things about food and my diet since starting the cambridge and realise my diet wasn't bad as in portion sizes but I made the wrong choices e.g white bread and rice etc. if I continue to watch what I eat and weigh out my portions etc will I still loose weight? Fair enough not 5lbs a week but will there be a steady weight loss?? I do exercise as well and I don't like starchy foods, like potato,pasta or rice, so I don't eat lots of carbs??
any advice greatly appreciated as I don't want to risk my health or health of my baby's
looking forward to your replies xx

Consuming fewer calories than you use is the basis of every diet out there. Eat less calories than you burn each day/week and you will lose weight. Simples

Hi all,
due to trying for a baby I am planning on coming off the cambridge diet. I have epilepsy so being on an 810kcal diet is okay but being pregnant and not realising I could make myself seriously ill.
I am on step 2, I've lost a stone in 5 weeks :)
I want to continue to loose weight but by eating conventional foods and mealtimes, but not to risk my health if I got pregnant.
i have learnt so many things about food and my diet since starting the cambridge and realise my diet wasn't bad as in portion sizes but I made the wrong choices e.g white bread and rice etc. if I continue to watch what I eat and weigh out my portions etc will I still loose weight? Fair enough not 5lbs a week but will there be a steady weight loss?? I do exercise as well and I don't like starchy foods, like potato,pasta or rice, so I don't eat lots of carbs??
any advice greatly appreciated as I don't want to risk my health or health of my baby's
looking forward to your replies xx

I wouldn't be me if I didn't say what I thought - gets me into trouble all the time. :)

First of all, is there any reason why you want to get pregnant right now (and not wait another 6 weeks or so)? Another 6 weeks on 810 would probably see you down another stone, maybe more. And then your body would be in a much fitter state for pregnancy. :) Being overweight and pregnant is no picnic and I'm conscious that you also have epilepsy.

It's certainly not recommended to continue the diet when you know you're pregnant but there's no real evidence that it's harmful to you or the baby so long as you switch to a healthy eating plan as soon as you find out you're pregnant. Plus 810 isn't technically a very low calorie diet - it's actually a low calorie diet, so therefore a safer plan to be on than SS anyway. And don't forget that Cambridge has a 1000 plan, a 1200 plan and a 1500 calorie plan. If you're really worried about continuing with 810 (and I don't think you need to be), have you considered trying one of those higher steps?

The other thing to bear in mind is that many people find doing SS or 810 makes them super fertile. :) It might actually be easier to fall pregnant while doing 810 rather than switching to something else.

I'll take no offence whatsoever if you feel I'm spouting rubbish. :) Just want you to be sure that you're giving up on Cambridge for the right reasons. :hug99:

I was on SS when I fell pregnant - I didn't find out until I was 8 weeks and my baby is a totally healthy 2 yr old :)

You can follow SW when pregnant so that may be an idea if you still want to loose/maintain weight whilst pregnant

Hiya,
well I am on step 2 illegally really, Im recommended to be on step 4/5 but I chose step 2 and really risked my own health. Which is bad I know. But an epileptic getting pregnant means using more drugs up in your system, which the cambridge has done as I'm eating less by tablets have been wearing off sooner. That's why I want to step up as if I fall pregnant and don't realise I could seriously risk my health
i think I am going to up steps, but I am still committed to eating fewer calories by eating small portions, low carbs and low GI etc.
i am hoping for 2-3 lb loss every week if poss??
does anyone think that this is do-able??

Ah, right. Mum's the word (hopefully :cross:)

You'll be hard pushed to find a diet that allows you to consistently lose 2-3lbs a week, other than Cambridge. But 1-2lbs is doable. Have you considered something like Slimming World? As Kimboowee says, the benefit with that diet is that you could stay on it while pregnant (with certain adjustments to make sure you're eating the right nutrients for you and baby :)). Well worth a look.

Thanks!
Well I've been weighed tonight, - 5lb loss :) and spoken to my consultant. She has devised me a plan, based on all the plans, so I'm working around that and hoping for good steady losses. But at least I am on healthy food and portion sizes so if I do become pregnant I can rest in the fact I know I have been eating healthily

I'm on the phone app and it doesn't have the info at the side. I just reckon its your decision to make. If your BMI is obese it's harder to get pregnant and you are classed as "high risk" pregnancy. You'd have to have GTT test as you'd be high risk of getting gestational diabetes. However you're weight isn't too bad, and some women even lose weight in pregnancy due to morning sickness etc! X

Hiya, thanks for that, never realised!! This would b first baby tho!! I am still wanting to loose weight and will continue to, hopefully with good losses. Feel a bit bad today tho as I've been out twice for dinner due to birthdays and Mother's Day tmoz so I've taken in some calories!!!
also do I need to take it loads more calories when pregnant?? Xx

Back