Confused...difference between extra easy and green

d14

I joined SW on Wednesday but I'm still kind of confused. Is the only difference between green and EE, a. On green meat is syns, b. on green you get 2 of each healthy extra, c. On extra easy you eat 1/3 super free with every meal...is that it??

I'm a vegetarian but I don't like salads anymore and not a huge fan of green veg so I'm worried my 1/3 will end up being mostly apples/bananas or carrots and peas and I'll get fed up :/

My food today seems more like a green day to me but I'm not 100% sure..
Breakfast: 2x quorn sausages (2 syns), 1 tablespoon of ketchup (1 syn), 2 slices of weight watchers whole meal bread (hexB)
Lunch: omelette with 2 eggs stuffed with peppers, onion, and 35g reduced fat cheese (hexA), a banana
Dinner: syn free spaghetti bolognese with quorn mince, celery, onion, peppers and grated carrot
Snacks: tattoo velvet crunch (4 syns)

d14 said:
I joined SW on Wednesday but I'm still kind of confused. Is the only difference between green and EE, a. On green meat is syns, b. on green you get 2 of each healthy extra, c. On extra easy you eat 1/3 super free with every meal...is that it??

I'm a vegetarian but I don't like salads anymore and not a huge fan of green veg so I'm worried my 1/3 will end up being mostly apples/bananas or carrots and peas and I'll get fed up :/

Breakfast: 2x quorn sausages (2 syns), 1 tablespoon of ketchup (1 syn), 2 slices of weight watchers whole meal bread (hexB)
Lunch: omelette with 2 eggs stuffed with peppers, onion, and 35g reduced fat cheese (hexA), a banana
Dinner: syn free spaghetti bolognese with quorn mince, celery, onion, peppers and grated carrot

If you are vegetarian there is no point doing EE, you're best off with green :)

Yes that is basically right but do check the lists in your book. You don't have to eat 1/3 superfree on Green, but Slimming World still encourage it I believe (I am going it alone). I don't worry about the 1/3 superfree but just make sure I get plenty of veg generally and usually snack on fruit. I am not vegetarian but only eat meat a couple of times a week and have always had good losses on Green.

Your day's food would fit with Green but you should make sure you have another HXb for health reasons and for the same reason your HXa should be 45g reduced fat cheese (also because there is some evidence calcium from dairy aids weightloss).

I'm a vegetarian too, although I've found that following the Extra Easy plan seems to work a little better for me than following Green, perhaps because it forces me to go and eat the superfree each meal; whereas I find myself on Green with a diet which contains huge amounts of potato/pasta/quorn/beans/eggs/fruit/etc. Nothing too bad, and I still lose a little bit with Green, but (to my mind) it happens at a very very slow rate compared to when I eat 5-10 portions of veg a day and can almost feel the lbs falling off :)

I still have green days sometimes if I'm just simply not up to eating a big bowl of veg soup or a giant salad, and I treat those as my guilt-free comfort food days. I know that some people do really well out of Green, but everyone is different, so the best thing is to give it a try and see what works best for you :)

Thanks for the replies everyone! I prefer starchy veg (sweetcorn, parsnips, etc) versus brocolli, salads, etc. so its very hard for me to do EE. The fruit I mostly eat would be pears, apples, bananas and grapes. The latter two aren't even super free. After two days I was struggling to fill my plate with 1/3 super free, I think I would be fed up if I had carrots and apples for my 1/3 every day :/

d14 said:
Thanks for the replies everyone! I prefer starchy veg (sweetcorn, parsnips, etc) versus brocolli, salads, etc. so its very hard for me to do EE. The fruit I mostly eat would be pears, apples, bananas and grapes. The latter two aren't even super free. After two days I was struggling to fill my plate with 1/3 super free, I think I would be fed up if I had carrots and apples for my 1/3 every day :/

All fruit is superfree :) providing its fresh, or frozen without sugar. Who told you that bananas and grapes weren't :confused: as they 100% are :) and also baby corn are superfree veg, if you like them :)

All fruit is superfree :) providing its fresh, or frozen without sugar. Who told you that bananas and grapes weren't :confused: as they 100% are :) and also baby corn are superfree veg, if you like them :)

I read it somewhere online (forget exactly where now) before I started SW...so I was trying my best not to eat many grapes or bananas! I love bananas because they always fill me up. If I did some EE days, would it be okay to make up a little fruit salad with chopped banana, apple and grapes and have it before my meals? Instead of putting a salad/veg on the plate..

d14 said:
I read it somewhere online (forget exactly where now) before I started SW...so I was trying my best not to eat many grapes or bananas! I love bananas because they always fill me up. If I did some EE days, would it be okay to make up a little fruit salad with chopped banana, apple and grapes and have it before my meals? Instead of putting a salad/veg on the plate..

Yeah, having something before is fine, the issue is when people have something like fruit after-as that defeats the object! The idea of your superfree is to reduce the amount of free food you eat, so if you fill up with fruit before, then it'll mean you will eat less food :)
Good luck x

Yeah, having something before is fine, the issue is when people have something like fruit after-as that defeats the object! The idea of your superfree is to reduce the amount of free food you eat, so if you fill up with fruit before, then it'll mean you will eat less food :)
Good luck x

Thanks :) That makes perfect sense... a couple of nights ago I decided to have a banana after my meal...but I was already full so it was pointless! Will give this a shot today. xx

You say it is hard for you to do EE because of the superfree vegetables, but in your original post you say you had peppers and onions with your lunch and celery, onion, peppers and grated carrot with your dinner. It would depend on quantities, of course, but there are two of your three meals that day with superfree in them which are not the starchy vegetables you mention later.

You say it is hard for you to do EE because of the superfree vegetables, but in your original post you say you had peppers and onions with your lunch and celery, onion, peppers and grated carrot with your dinner. It would depend on quantities, of course, but there are two of your three meals that day with superfree in them which are not the starchy vegetables you mention later.

For lunch was about 1/4 of a red pepper and a little less than half an onion all chopped up.
For dinner I grated one carrot and chopped half a red pepper/a little over half a large onion/one celery stick...so not a massive amount of veg. To be honest it was my first time cooking that dish and I was afraid I was going to hate the vegetables, but next time i'll definitely be using double, or more, that I used last time. I do like peppers and onions but i'm just a bit worried that if I eat them with everything i'll get fed up of them lol! Its also hard for me to estimate how much veg is on my plate, I mostly chop it up and it in with the meal i'm cooking, rather than on the side of my plate. x

That sounds like a good amount of veg and if you are intending on having more it will be more than adequate. It sounds like you might be open to trying new veggies and new ways of cooking them which is a good thing. There are lots of ways you can hide or disguise veggies - a pot of soup is the easiest :)

As welshtigger said all fruit if superfree - i think you are getting confused with superspeed though as although bananas and grapes are superfree they arent classed as a superspeed food to speed up your weight loss whereas pears and apples are. All the speed or superspeed food has a S or SS beside it in your food optimising book. SW like to confuse with lots of similar sounding names!

As welshtigger said all fruit if superfree - i think you are getting confused with superspeed though as although bananas and grapes are superfree they arent classed as a superspeed food to speed up your weight loss whereas pears and apples are. All the speed or superspeed food has a S or SS beside it in your food optimising book. SW like to confuse with lots of similar sounding names!

You just beat me to it - I thought this sounded a bit of a Superfree v Superspeed confusion ;)

Patchwork - vegetable soup is probably one of my favourite things to eat! I just need to start making my own more often.
ninnins/minimunchkins - Ahhh maybe thats it! I feel so silly now. I was worried because I love bananas and grapes! Will definitely be eating them more often now - especially bananas, I know they're not the healthiest fruit, but they fill me up for ages!

Used up the last of my spag bol for dinner, added half an onion, 1/4 of a large red pepper and one red chili chopped up, and theres already some onion/pepper/carrot/celery in there...it actually tasted SO much better than previous days (didn't think that was possible lol) I reckon that counts as my 1/3 superfree :)

I'm a veggie too .. and I do green days every day. Haven't even looked at Extra Easy if I'm honest. I like the green because it allows me to have both milk AND cheese (not either/or) and as I don't eat eggs ... dairy is my main source of protein. I eat loads and loads of veg and fruit (always have anyway, but I also used to eat tons of cheese, rather than a limited portion like I do now, and loads of bread, wine, and stuff, all of which I've now cut out). I've lost 7lb in four weeks. It's not earth shattering weight loss, but it's realistic and I'm happy with it, plus I am eating a really good diet and plenty of it.

Back