Confused.... (it's not hard for me to be so lol)

Alia

Silver Member
I've been thinking..... no comments please about cogs whirring etc :p

As alot of you will know I've had WLS done, twice actually. When you have a gastric bypass obviously afterwards you are on a very low calorie diet as you can't actually consume much at all. I remember checking with my dietician a month or so after surgery and told her I was at the most only managing 300 - 400 calories a day and she said that was fine and quite the norm for post bypass. The optimum time for weightloss is the first year post surgery. So by that they are saying that if you have a very low calorie diet you are going to lose weight faster.

My confusion is this.... when I go to slimming world and don't lose as much as I want to lose and my C looks over my food diary and says you are not eating enough, eat more and you will lose more...... why??? If its ok to have fewer calories to lose weight with Bypass surgery how come with other diets they can say your not eating enough to lose as much weight as you want to lose? I often hear people at group who've not had a loss or a loss as much as they wanted say that they've not been eating much that week so maybe thats why I did n't lose etc. I know we don't calorie count with SW but just using calories as an example.

Hope I've explained what I'm confused about well enough for you to follow - I know what I mean lol, hope you do too.

The way slimming world works is through keeping yourself satisfied and your metabolism going. Most people will find that if they don't eat much their body goes into starvation mode and preserves the energy and fat stores it has, rather than burning it off. Through eating healthy balanced meals and snacks on the SW plan, your metabolism should stay at a rate where it's burning off energy at a nice steady rate.

Obviously if you don't eat much for a long period of time your body will eventually start to burn off energy, but would you rather eat lots of nice food and lose weight or not much food and wait for ages before losing weight?!

The way slimming world works is through keeping yourself satisfied and your metabolism going. Most people will find that if they don't eat much their body goes into starvation mode and preserves the energy and fat stores it has, rather than burning it off. Through eating healthy balanced meals and snacks on the SW plan, your metabolism should stay at a rate where it's burning off energy at a nice steady rate.

Obviously if you don't eat much for a long period of time your body will eventually start to burn off energy, but would you rather eat lots of nice food and lose weight or not much food and wait for ages before losing weight?!

that makes sense and of course the SW is much preffered and is giving me success where WLS failed and I'm sure it will be long term success. People think WLS is the easy option but it does nt work for everyone and given my time again I would never have gone down the surgery route the first time, the second time was essentially a repair of the mess that was left from that surgery. Having done SW before having any surgery years ago, its deffinately more difficult after the surgery as I do have restrictions on what I can eat and it does limit your options some times. Still, I can't change it so I'm working with it and I'm actually discovering lots of things I can eat and enjoy and the pounds are shifting which is what matters at the end of the day.

btw have you told you consultant you have had wls?

Yes I have but it makes no difference to my SW journey anyway :) I just have to eat little and often.

Back