Confused

Vixs

I started really well and lost 15lbs in my first month but at the end of my 2nd month I only lost 1lb. I felt so low and frustrated at this so decided to look into this more.

I use MFP and that gives me 1450 cals dailly. I tend to eat between 1200-1400 with occasionally 1500-1600 at the weekends.

I read that you should be eating your BMR? On MFP it says mine is 1561. So should I be eating around that amount of calories a day?

I recently plateaued for 11 months! I listened to fat2fit radio podcasts about this Znd started eating nearer to my BMR and I've started losing again :) it doesn't have to be permanent just enough to kick start it again

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

lindaj said:
Can you tell me what MFP and BMR are please sorry I don't know x

My Fitness Pal (MFP) is an programme/website/app a lot of us use to track our food. It's fab.

BMR is Basel Metabolic Rate. Basically the calories/energy you body needs at rest (basically just to breath and keep your vitals ticking over) You shouldn't net under your BMR (regularly) as its the fuel your body needs to survive. Going lower will mean your body looks for fuel elsewhere and will turn to fat and muscle for fuel. This means you should eat more if you burn more (MFP calls ut eating exercise calories)

Any exercise/movement on top needs more calories to fuel you. TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure which is whst your body needs to fuel you doing all that you do.

I eat 1000 calories under my TDEE, which in theory means i should lose 2lb a week.
There are lots of calculators online to calculate BMR and TDEE. My TDEE is around 2700 a day.
So far i am losing as expected, 36lb in 13 weeks.

This is all theory and some people lose successfully netting under BMR where others get a better loss eating more.
Play around and see what works for you.

Last edited:
Thankyou for explaining it to me I'm struggling to get focused but will carry on trying this app has been so helpful thanks x

Sorry I didn't see this but it looks like Amy has explained it well :)
Don't worry about understanding everything at once. Even the small changes you make at any one time will be making changes for the good in your lifestyle ;) keep going

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back