Confused

Dreamcatcher15

Hi everyone I am new to the site and begin Slimming World tomorrow night with my first class.
i am a huge fan of smoothies but I have read that these class as syns. Something to do with if you were eating it it would take more energy etc to break down whereas if you drink it it's easier... However what about soup? This is blended...passata?

Im just a little confused. For me it is a convenient thing to drink a smoothie. I got my Nutribullet last year and love it and will be disappointed if I can hardly use it.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks

xx

Hiya. I believe SW says you should count smoothies as syns (hopefully someone who knows for sure will come along and reply soon). However, if I'm honest, back in 2011 when I lost 5 stone following the slimming world plan and going to classes I had a lot of smoothies for breakfast, and I didn't count them as syns as long as all the things going in them were syn free. Typically that would be banana, 0% greek yogurt, berries of some description, and a little water. I'm pretty sure it didn't affect my weight loss!

Last edited:
I think what they're worried about is portion control and having a load of calories without realising. However I'd look at my one banana, couple of tablespoons of 0% greek yogurt, cup of berries, and think well I'd eat that as a normal sized breakfast as it is, so I don't see why it's suddenly not free if I liquidize it.

Yes smoothies are synned because the fruit is less filling in that form. Even if you don't eat more at the time it fills you up for less time and you eat again sooner, either way you take in more calories. Blended vegetables aren't synned but juiced would be xx

Yep Smoothies are synned as they say that you could easily put a few bananas, maybe 4 oranges and apple and berries into one drink, but you would never sit and eat all that fruit in one go so you are overeating calories by having smoothies.

Its also how to do with how your body processes food thats been chewed rather than drank

There was a brilliant article posted on here a while back with the science behind it all - made interesting reading

I was a bit disappointed too but it depends what you put in. I usually have spinach and raspberry and almond milk. A handful of raspberries is half a syn, the spinach is free and the almond milk is a HEA, which can last across a few days. so it's still worth it. Just perhaps less fruit than you might have put in before.

Back