Contemplating - top tips please!

juju_doll

juju_doll
Hi there,

Having really struggled with lighter life the last few months, I've come off it and I'm considering Slimming World. It seems incredibly successful on here and popular. Just wondered if you can tell me if/why it worked for you and any top tips you'd have. Thanks! Julia

Hi, I would recommend slimming world!! I started in January after contemplating starting for a while and I am so glad I did, I last got weighed yesterday and have lost 29 and 1/2 pounds to date half way there :) I have never stuck to a diet before I love chocolate to much and the more I wasn't allowed it the more I wanted it, but on slimming world you don't have to cut anything out u just eat everything in moderation which is good for me as i don't miss anything. :) highly recommended!!!
Good luck xx

For me the main reason I chose SW was because I am a vegetarian and the green plan fitted perfectly for veggies. I've tried plenty of diets before but always found things like pasta and potatoes being a no no. As these are pretty much my staple foods I was so glad I could have them on SW and as much as I wanted!

The weight loss will never be as quick as VLC diets like Lighter Life, usually between 1-2lbs a week. However SW will really teach you about food, how to eat it and how to change your lifestyle for the better. Once you reach target you can be a member for life so continue getting the support and ideas from other members. My mistake was leaving group when I hit target and believing that I could cope on my own, hence now why I am back trying to lose weight again! Duh!

Most of the members at my group follow Extra Easy and it seems that this plan is pretty much as close to normal eating as you can get whilst being on a diet. It's family friendly so you don't have to make different meals for yourself and the family. You don't have to weigh everything like some other diets and there is plenty of flexibility if you know you are going to have a night out or are going away on holiday.

Nearly every recipe can be Slimming Worldified so nothing is off limits. I made the cheese scones which are in the recipe section the other day and they are completely free (can have as much until you are full). Find me another diet where you can eat a plate full of cheese scones!

My top tips would be plan, plan, plan. Nearly all of your meals on Slimming World will have to be cooked from scratch, so no quick easy micro meals or jar sauces. It seems like a pain at first but you will soon start to appreciate your food so much more and start to realise how bland and tasteless the quick options are. I make SW chips quite often and the other day I had one of my friends oven chips and they were vile, no taste and had a carboardy texture, give me my SW option everytime!

Other tips:

Frozen veg - so much cheaper than fresh and helps to prevent wastage
Mushrooms - So filling and versatile
Stay to group for Image Therapy - This section of group is invaluable. The support and ideas from other members really is wonderful, and you can get so many new ideas.
Have a syn bin - this one isn't for everyone but it works for me. I have a drawer in our fridge full of treat size chocs all of which are under 5 syns. That way if I'm craving choc I can go and grab one and not worry that it will put me over the edge for the day. You do however have to be careful not to be tempted to eat the whole lot!
Don't feel guilty - if you do go off plan, accept it for what it is and move on. Life is too short to beat yourself up and by feeling guilty you will be much more tempted to comfort eat and binge.
Set up a SW wall - have a place where you can display your award certificates. It might seem silly but celebrating your achievements can give you a real boost and a resolve to keep going.
Do Body Magic - this doesn't get pushed enough at my group but exercise is a great way to boost weight loss, increase your fitness and improve your overall health. It doesn't have to be running a marathon but maybe start with adding an extra 10 minutes onto your dog walk each day, walk to work one day a week, one lady at our group came up with a great game using lamp posts. On her normal walk each day she would walk to the first lamp post then walk as fast as she could to the next one, then walk normally until the next one and so on and so on. At first she could only manage 4 lamp posts like this but after a few weeks was up to 10!
Don't want vs Can't - this is actually a tip from this months mag and its a brilliant one. Instead of saying "I can't have that" when someone offers you something off plan say "I don't want that" its a subtle difference but a massive one to your mind set. I'm very guilty of saying can't which only makes us feel deprived whereas I don't want makes us feel empowered.
Minimins - really this site is the best place for recipes, syns values, latest news and support. I'm always banging on about the place at my group and am amazed that people do Slimming World without it!
Cook in bulk - As SW is alot of cooking from scratch I find it easier to cook in bulk then freeze things to reheat, also left overs make great lunches the following day.

There's a few tips for you there, I could probably go on forever if I though about it though! If you have any particular questions at all just let me know!

Thank you so much for such a detailed response! Your successes are really encouraging. Definitely want to move towards the idea of eating in the 'real world' .

I did Cambridge a few years ago, lost 12lbs, and then got so sick of not eating that I gorged for a week and re-gained a stone. The trouble with VLCD's is that they don't teach you how to live in the real world. If, for example, there was a family meal out then being on a VLCD means either not going or blowing your diet. With Slimming World you can go, eat lean meat/baked potato/veggies and still be totally on track.
I've spent years battling with my weight and with some pretty serious psychological food issues, I now feel totally in control and empowered (I've joined the "don't want" camp, too!). In 4 weeks I have lost 1st 8lbs and have enjoyed REAL food. My whole family is eating healthier meals without even realising it. Do it, you won't regret it :D

Hi juju_doll slimming world is great, it is soooo simple hardly any thing to think about, hardly any weighing don't really know how it works but it does!!!! and I eat normal foods and lots of it!

i love SW simply because it feels so easy and half of the time doesnt even feel like dieting, just a few tweaks here and there and never going hungry :)

Hi hun i done lighterlife 3 yrs ago i stayed on it for 5 months lost 7 stone and not a single thing past my lips came off the plan no only did i gain all the weight i lost and more also spent another 2 yrs batteling to get my body stable and bk to norm i now have gaul stone as a result of puttin my body under so much stress and most of my hair fell out it diddnt teach me anything about eating healthy eva... Uve been doing sw for 4 weeks now and am a 1lb off a stone i lost 10lb my first week which was actually the same as my first week of lighterlife and when i think bk the first week of ll it was hell where as i really enjoyed sw findin great new recipies took up more time so i had less time to think about binging on crap...i have become a cook again instead of grabing quick and easy stuff and takeaways and if i joined sw instead of ll i prob would be at target now and would of wasted 3yrs being overwieght good luck x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins

And would not of wasted 3 yrs of being overwieght sorry made a few mistakes in last post too early for me lol...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins

Totally inspired. Am starting on Saturday from home. Will go to a club if I begin to struggle but don't want the pressure of weigh ins. I always find I do it for the leader, not for myself if that makes sense? Time to take control. Really excited!

juju_doll said:
Totally inspired. Am starting on Saturday from home. Will go to a club if I begin to struggle but don't want the pressure of weigh ins. I always find I do it for the leader, not for myself if that makes sense? Time to take control. Really excited!

Good luck!! I always avoided SW and had only ever calorie counted or done WW. I thought it was just about stopping eating when you had had an allowance! I was sick of going to bed hungry and then believing I deserved a treat and bingeing of a weekend! Been doing SW for a month now and I am loving all the cooking and have no need to pig out because I am never hungry! Hope you enjoy it x

Just wanted to say good luck and I hope it goes well for you! :)

I like the freedom that comes with the plan. If you follow extra easy, there are 4 pages of food you can eat without having to think or measure. I like knowing that if I'm peckish, there is always something the fridge that I can just grab and eat (whether it's a yogurt, fruit, piece of ham or even a cheese triangle for 1syn).

I don't have to eat seperate from the family and it's good for the kids to see how things are cooked.

:D

I like the variety as well as the freedom. I cook so many more interesting dishes than before! And my boyfriend is now on board as well as loving it :) V.family friendly, have cooked for large groups and not told them it's SW and they've loved it. I experiment more in the kitchen - last night I made syn-free chicken burgers - the only chicken burgers I used to eat were off the back of a van! Massive improvement in taste and satisfaction.

And best of all, no guilt!

I hope you enjoy, I'm doing it from home too and have got some much advice, support and thinspiration from this forum! X

After being on it for 16 months and at target for 10 of them its just a way of life, dont think about it now, just get on with it. Its amazing and so easy to follow once you get the hang of it! S W rocks :)

juju_doll said:
Thank you so much for such a detailed response! Your successes are really encouraging. Definitely want to move towards the idea of eating in the 'real world' .

Ive done slim fast weight watchers soup diet atkins low cal low carb you nane it ive tried it then i discovered slimming world now a whopping 2 Stone lighter with very little if any deprivation its the best choice i ever made you do have to change your lifestyle but to be honest they are prob the best choices you will ever make im happy healthy and well on my way to being slim and fit and dont see me changing back to my old habits like previous diets ive done because this doesnt feel like im missing out or a hardship try it what is there to loose

Back