contraception without gain - depo

Lovehandles

hey ladies. i just wanted to hear your stories about the depo injection. if any of u have been on it did u gain weight being my big question!! ive been on the pill for 5 years and think its time for a change as im having non stop periods :( so ive decided to go for the depo as im not planning kids for at least 5 years. my mum is scared im going to balloon. i asked the doctor and she said it doesnt affect ur weight at all. the only people i no who said it doesnt affect their weight are the super skinny people and im well ... not lol any feedback would be great xx

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the perma-periods, I know it can be a bit of a nightmare.
I had the depo for maybe 9 months before I stopped. There wasnt any weight gain but it seemed to have the same make up as the mini pill which just caused me to have non-stop periods as well. That was the only issue so I'd say if you're alright with the mini pill then it might be good for you!

Ive been on depo since Aug 2007. No real weight gain that i noticed and im definately no skinny mininie!

Not had a single bleed with it either and no other major probs that ive noticed. (makes a change as i had the implant initially and it caused me quite a few problems)

Hi i.ve had my second depo injection and have had spotting on and off for about 8 weeks :( no weight gain. My problem is i.ve started the Cambridge diet for the second time and this time the weight is not coming off. Last time i was on it i lost half a stone in 2 weeks. I wasnt on the depo then. This time with the depo only 2lb. Its gettin me down. Also dunno if i.m being paranoid but i.m sure my hairs falling out too. Dunno what to do

I'd go for the merina coil. I name depo and the impant for my depression and weight gain

I'd go for the merina coil. I name depo and the impant for my depression and weight gain

I'd agree, I had the mirena and no problems losing weight.x

I love the Depo. I gained weight initially, but pretty sure that was down to all the food I was eating and huge amount of sitting of arse. Lost 5 stone in 2010 whilst on the Depo, put it all back on again in 2012 (same reason as above). Still on it and lost 39lbs so far. x

Update to the above....

I've been on it 6 years last month and had no problems with it. Managed to lose 3 1/2 stone with it in last year on a VLCD. No increase in weight other than when i've overeaten so it was my fault. No spotting either. Love it and wouldn't use any other contraception.

I had the same problems with the implant which is why i switched to Depo. Hasn't your nurse/GP recommended anything else for you?

I would like to add something here! I am not on any chemical contraception and when I did Dukan diet about a year ago my hair was falling like I was getting bald! I stopped and gradually the hair loss got better! I still lose a good amount of hair, bit nothing like that! So maybe it's not the drug but the diet? Just a thought! I hope everything turns well for you!

Back