• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

cooking disasters

Crys

Did you add any herbs in? That's what I usually add to my sauce but I also put in oregano, basil and sometimes a bit of chilli powder. Sometimes I add a touch of Worcestershire sauce too (It's free). gives it a kick.

pesty

Fighting the bulge
When it comes to sweet SW recipes, I am a cooking disaster lol

I can cook normal puddings but for some reason SW baking is not my speciality i made the custard pot things in the recipe area and it looked lovely in ramekins - once putting the spoon in it was scrambled egg and water with a sweet after taste YUCK!!

xx

jaylou

Gold Member
I'd have added garlic, chilli and oragano to the pasta sauce and if I make anything with tinned toms or passata I add a tsp of sweetener to take the bitterness out of the tomato.

My only recent disaster was a smoked haddock chowder. I don't know why I made it because I don't like smoked fish! I want to like it so keep trying but it's a no-go in my house now.

Other than that I made the Kofta curry and it split when I put the yoghurt in. I've found out since that I should use the yoghurt at room temperature, and it worked the next time! (thanks to top tips on here!).

The vast majority of recipes I do work - thankfully, cos it's annoying when they don't, I hate waste :-(

pesty

Fighting the bulge
I'd have added garlic, chilli and oragano to the pasta sauce and if I make anything with tinned toms or passata I add a tsp of sweetener to take the bitterness out of the tomato.

My only recent disaster was a smoked haddock chowder. I don't know why I made it because I don't like smoked fish! I want to like it so keep trying but it's a no-go in my house now.

Other than that I made the Kofta curry and it split when I put the yoghurt in. I've found out since that I should use the yoghurt at room temperature, and it worked the next time! (thanks to top tips on here!).

The vast majority of recipes I do work - thankfully, cos it's annoying when they don't, I hate waste :-(

I have this problem Jaylou!! Mine normally curdles even when i let the food cool slightly - albeit it dont let it go cold. I will try this next time, thanks :)

Meli

Gold Member
So far no cooking disasters, but tonight I'm having Quorn Lasagna for the first time, so who knows how it will turn out!

Crys

The quorn just tasted cardboardy and weird, and the sauce was really sharp tasting, and kinda too sweet at the same time. I think maybe it was too much carrots. I'll def use sweetener with the passata next time, maybe leave the carrots out as well.

I also hate waste, but luckily my dog loved it! at the very least I'm saving on dog food :s

Ha ha - my dh has said if we ever have quorn mince again, he's off!! I made a spaghetti bolognaise with it the other week and he was physically sick after it!! (he could normally eat a scabby horse without being ill so it must have been awful)

soccermom

I AM A WEMITT x
I made the lamb rogan Josh off the sw website, wasnt very good.

I followed the recipe 100% and we didnt rate it at all, but comments on the sw site said it was lovely :confused:

Cant figure out what I did wrong, I have made other curries from scratch without a problem, so not sure what I did to that :rolleyes:

i did that to and my dh didn't like it either. i've made curry before and he loved it.
sorry if this is abit naugthy but every recipe that i have tried off the sw website has been horriable my faves usually come from this site

pesty

Fighting the bulge
i did that to and my dh didn't like it either. i've made curry before and he loved it.
sorry if this is abit naugthy but every recipe that i have tried off the sw website has been horriable my faves usually come from this site

I find with most recipes of the SW website they tell you to add FAR to much water - i always end up simmering mine for hours to try to reduce the sauce! Not so bad now i know the mash trick :)

*EB*

Gold Member
Apparently Quorn is best left overnight if you are making a chilli/bol - as the taste of 'quorn' goes - and it absorbs the gravy taste! just a tip from my veggie best chum! give it a try - tastes like mince the next day (honest!!!)

I added some Quark to a tomato sauce the other day to make the sauce thicker - do not know what i was thinking - it seperated and tasted terrible.....not gonna do that again!! LOL!

I am always slipping up - but keep trying, you never know when a masterpiece will occur! x

x

soccermom

I AM A WEMITT x
Maybe it wasnt me then :eek:, there were so many comments saying how lovely it was though, do you think they are bogus comments ;)

I made Cottage Cheese & Bean cakes - OMG They were disgusting!!!!

I followed the recipe to the T - but they were VILE!!

Luckily thats been my only disaster to date :D

Becca Wecca

skinny minny here I come!
The only Disasterous (sp?) thing i've made is rice pudding. Made it with water and it was just plain disgusting!! xx

Will make it with milk next time!