Cooking for others

Whimsyfae

Struggling tonight as having to make pasta for hubby's dinner. Especially difficult being half Italian!! How do you cope making dinners for others? I know some of you will be mothers, but if it's just your other half is it reasonable to expect them to make their own? :)

I think it's reasonable to expect my boyfriend to cook his own dinner, although probably will insist on me still making him lunch :) (well, he doesn't insist, I like making them but still!)

On previous diets, of any sort, I have always carried on cooking for everyone else, however difficult it might have been. This time, I'm fed up with that idea! I've told my husband that I'm not cooking anything for anyone if I am eating food replacements, so he can cook for himself. We both work, so that seems fair to me. I am still doing the shopping and meal planning for him, and choosing ingredients for easy-to-cook things that he likes, so that it's not too onerous a job. I just make suggestions for what he is to cook, and he goes off and does something that may or may not be broadly related to what I had in mind for him. The children are students now, so when they are home they can share the cooking with their father. And, of course, once I start eating real food again (whenever that may be), I will go back to cooking duties.

I have to say that this is working out very well for me. My husband eats his real food while I am eating my soup/bar/shake, and we sit at the dining table together as though everything is perfectly normal. But I avoid all the temptations involved in having to plan, handle, cook and serve food. I wish I'd thought of this approach years ago :D

I agree with Bijou, I've tried making food for other people and it's just too much of a temptation to be around it. I made a pasta dish for my OH and just found myself (very naturally) taste testing the sauce before I realised what I was doing.

Cooking is something I really, really love - but I can't be around food so much, at least not for a couple of weeks yet I don't think.
I'm finding it especially hard with food that I really miss, like cheese...

I find cooking for others to be a big challenge so far. I'm off uni for 3 months so I'm looking after my little brothers a lot and having to cook for them. It's much easier to deal with when I take myself out of situations where there is food present

I concur with everyone hon, it's time for my hubby and teenage daughters to do a bit of fending for themselves! They are more than capable, even if not quite so willing! I cook for them some days, but I make sure it's stuff I don't like! Like bell peppers, bleugh! Lol.

Back