Cooking with low fat yogurt

Make sure whatever you are making is off the heat and also, make sure the yoghurt/fromage frais isn't straight out of the fridge - have it out for a while before adding to the recipe.

The problem is that whenever you add dairy products in cooking, it is the fat which holds everything together and makes it thicken. For instance, you can boil double cream down for ages and it won't split. The less fat there is, the more likely the sauce is to split. Jaylou's advice is right - the contents of the pan need to be well off the boil, and the yogurt at room temperature. Even then it is a bit risky and you need to be careful.

I mix the yoghurt with cornflower to help stopping it splitting, but low heat and adding at the end of cooking helps.

Thanks for the advice, will use a bit of cornflour. Did a fish pie tonight with Sainsbury's sauce flour, 4 syns per 25g and 300ml semi skimmed, so between the three eating worked out well.

PS great success with SW, I have been staggered by how it works.

Will give it a whirl, I was doing my Slimming World adaptation of an old favourite of chicken in a cream and tarragon sauce. Used to use a can of Campbell's condensed soup, think they do a low fat version so will look out if I still struggle with things splitting. I must admit to taking my eye off the pan really after putting it on to "warm through".. You live and learn.

Just trying to adapt an old favourite of chicken in a creamy tarragon sauce, must confess to trying to warm things through a bit, before serving! Patience is not my best virtue! Used Cambell's mushroom/chicken soups as well in the past - not sure if they will be OK with Slimming World and syns...

Back