Corned beef stew?!?

Joannejmorg

Hi can anyone offer suggestions for corned beef stew, I usually use a packet of beef bourginon about 7 syns I think with a small tin of lean corned beef. Am thinking of ways that I could lower the syns? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

Why do you need the beef bourgignon? :confused: What exactly is it, a packet mix thing?

Just use the leanest corned beef you can get (I can see Prince's lean is 2 syns per 100g, I dont know if there are any leaner than that?), a load of veg and then add your own free flavourings to taste? Theres no reason to use packet mixes, almost everything in them can be done for free.

It doesnt need to be! It depends what you put in your corned beef stew, what do you normally put in? Corned beef itself thickens things up, or try putting a bit less water in or cook it a bit longer to reduce it?

Do you use potato in it? That starts to dissolve nicely if you cook it long enough, onions thicken stuff up when you cook them properly. You can always just mush a couple of the bits of potato up with a masher or just a spoon or even the food processor - just a few spoons of potato thickens things up massively. Some people even chuck a little bit of instant mash in to thicken things up.

Do you use onion in it? Try whizzing the onion in the processor before you add it, thickens things up great. Also if youre adding any powdered flavourings (spices etc) they'll thicken things up too.

I find most watery dishes are because they havent been cooked long enough or theres too much water in there anyway. If you cook things on a low heat for a good while the ingredients start to soften and mingle into the mix and it thickens up on its own.

If you really need to add some flour to thicken it up then you can, cornflour is 1 syn per level tsp. But theres no need to use packet mixes at 7 syns I dont think. :)

PS what's in the beef bourgignon mix, flavours wise? Just buy the flavours on their own. In the long run its much cheaper to buy the actual flavours/spices themselves separately than the mix, which is full of syns and way, way overpriced. Theyre also lots cheaper in the corner shop than the supermarket btw.

Thanks Erm I'm going to buy the flavours and give it a try. Yes I do use both potatoes and onions so hopefully that wil be enough to thicken it. Wil let u know how it goes

I'm with Ermintrude on this one.

I make corned beef stew quite often for my lunch.

I use the small tin of Princes lean corned beef (4 syns) and just chop the vegetables quite small, as then the parsnip, swede and potatoe if I am doing extra easy breaks down a little with cooking and thickens it.

I use a Knorr beef stockpot and black pepper as the only seasoning.

Does two lunches with lots to eat:)

I have never heard of corned beef stew and i've had most things :)

Does the corned beef break up or stay in chunks?

Mmm corned beef stew is yummy! If the corned beef goes in at the end of cooking just to warm through, with minimal stirring it will stay together. I prefer mine all mushed up:)

Ohhh this sounds lovely yipee more corned beef meals for me :)

Well I made the stew & it was really tasty, if anything it was too thick! Lol but thats just me being picky. It went dwn really well with hubby & baby.
I made the stew using beef stock x2, leeks, carrots, swede, potatoes, parsnip , peas & 200g lean corned beef. I also added mixed dried herbs, fresh garlic & a dash of Worcester sauce.
Will be making this again! Mmmmmmm

Mmmm sounds delish think this will be on the menu this week ;)

Having this for tea tonight. Can't wait. I made it yesterday & find that it always tastes nicer the nxt day or two.
Now the weather is getting colder you can't beat a nice warm stew!!!

You've sold me on this Joanne. I'll prepare it before I go to weigh in this evening!:)

I make enough for 2 days & sometimes hav enough leftover to either freeze or hav for lunch. So with 200g of lean corned beef you get a luvly hearty meal for 2 syns!
I usually hav a small wholemeal roll with mine too! Extra filling!!...

I'm with Ermintrude on this one.

I make corned beef stew quite often for my lunch.

I use the small tin of Princes lean corned beef (4 syns) and just chop the vegetables quite small, as then the parsnip, swede and potatoe if I am doing extra easy breaks down a little with cooking and thickens it.

I use a Knorr beef stockpot and black pepper as the only seasoning.

Does two lunches with lots to eat:)

I haven't made this for ages, but having found a tin of extra lean corned beef in the cupboard, I'm going to make it for dinner tonight!

YUM. having this soon :) Thankyou

Back