Couch to 5K Help needed :)

MaxB

I restarted the couch to 5k about a month ago.

Last time I got to week 6 and had to do 10 mins running, 3 mins walk, then 10 mins running again. I got to halfway through the second run and bailed!! I then couldn't face trying again so stopped altogether (that was in May!)

I am now on week 4 day 1, which I will be doing a Thursday morning. I am already scared as 4 minutes of running seems unmanageable!! I am running a lot slower than last time and pacing myself, mixing in other excercises and having a couple of days off when I need it but I am still finding it hard. I am not very confident when it comes to excercise (something to do with being picked last in PE lol) so wonder if it is this rather than my actual fitness that is stopping me being able to complete the runs?

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any tips would be great appreciated xx

Hi I just completed c25k about 3 weeks ago I used a vandersoft app for Couch to 5 K https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vandersw.fivekrun which I found brilliant, it was very manageable and slowly built up to running for longer times which at week 4 I think it was run 2.5 minutes and walk for 30 seconds each week it added on more seconds running until week 8 where you run for 25 minutes. So maybe try a different app for C25k one that does not feel so hard. I would not worry about being slower now, better to be slow and as you build your stamina and endurance you will get faster.
When I started I could barely run the 1-minute interval on week one and I was so slow it was the only way I could make it to the end of each interval and not stop! but each week it got easier and I repeated the last run of some weeks if I needed to, before moving on to the next one so maybe you could do that either before moving on to the next week

I just ran in my first 5k race on Saturday and discovered I am not as slow as I thought I managed it in 31 minutes and I started out slow

Hi I just completed c25k about 3 weeks ago I used a vandersoft app for Couch to 5 K https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vandersw.fivekrun which I found brilliant, it was very manageable and slowly built up to running for longer times which at week 4 I think it was run 2.5 minutes and walk for 30 seconds each week it added on more seconds running until week 8 where you run for 25 minutes. So maybe try a different app for C25k one that does not feel so hard. I would not worry about being slower now, better to be slow and as you build your stamina and endurance you will get faster.
When I started I could barely run the 1-minute interval on week one and I was so slow it was the only way I could make it to the end of each interval and not stop! but each week it got easier and I repeated the last run of some weeks if I needed to, before moving on to the next one so maybe you could do that either before moving on to the next week

I just ran in my first 5k race on Saturday and discovered I am not as slow as I thought I managed it in 31 minutes and I started out slow

Thanks so much timeforchange that is all really useful!! I think I will try the different app and let you know how I get on!! Repeating weeks is something I always feel reluctant to do because I am way tooooo impatient but will def try that as well.

Congrats on your first 5k that is awesome!! And 31 mins is amazing!! Will def keep going with is as would love to be there by xmas!

Thanks :) I am delighted with myself :) and you will defiantly get there by Christmas good luck and keep us posted

Hey. I have done week 1 of c25k so many times but o find it so hard. Help. X
my advice is slow down if your finding it hard to finish the running interval then slow down it is all about lasting the distance and as you get stronger and fitter you will get faster

Yeah I agree- I am still struggling but less now I am running a lot slower. Sometimes with me it's more my head telling me I can't- I try to say to myself, yesterday you ran for 3 minutes, so you only have to run for one extra minute to get to four etc. Good luck!!

When I started C25k, I couldn't barely run 1KM without stopping. I had to slow down and walk a lot. What I learned from this was that even if you do that, it's still progress and the more you do it, the more you slowly progress. Don't beat yourself up over stopping and keep doing. What matters at the end of the day is the fact that you got up and ran! Sooner or later you will run that 5k! I know I did! :)

Back