Could I be doing too much exercise...

reshmus

Hello All,
I am new to Minimins (although I have been reading the site off and on since I joined LL on Dec 4th) and this is my first post. So to you all. just wanted to say HOLA!

So I had a dilemma today. I have not been weighted since Dec 18th and Tuesday is my first weigh-in 3 weeks. I went on vacation and I worked really hard to stick to the programme (didn't cheat once). I jumped on the scales while on vacation and seemed to be loosing weight on a regular basis. (last time I checked on vacation scales I was -8 pounds)

This morning I tried Bikram yoga for the first time and then went to get my blood pressure and pulse checked about 4 hours later. I spotted a scale there and since I haven't really weighed myself since I got back from vaca 5 days ago, I jumped on. AND it was only 1 pound down from my Dec 18th weight! I was/am gutted. I would have thought nothing of it but before I went to get my blood pressure checked, I also tried on a pair of jeans that had been just washed and really hard to put on. I know I should just wait till tuesday for my official weigh in BUT i was so destroyed emotionally, it took all my energy and a phone call to my mom to make sure I didn't just throw in the towel.

I then got thinking, could I be doing too much exercise. Could that negatively affect my weight loss. Since I got back I have been doing 45 mins of Cardio and today I was in the hot yoga room for 90 mins.. (with my feeble attempt at doing the poses). Is that too much?
Or is this just crooked thinking and they 2 incidences could be unrelated.. I don't know..
I really appreciate any advice...

reshmus

Could be ANYTHING! Maybe you had alot of water just before you jumped on scales? Maybe it was at different time of day??

My WI's are on Tuesdays at 7.30pm... however because of Christmas etc we have skipped two sessions. I went to a pop-in on Thursday (but at 2.30) and it appeared as though I had lost another 8lbs *well done me* however... despite NOT lapsing since Thursday, (so no reason to stop losing weight) my scales are telling me I only lost 6lbs... so am heavier than on Thursday!! which probably means either a break-even week or a put on week :eek:

Time of the month can also affect it........ damn that reminds me! haha!!!!! :rolleyes:

Only trust scales you always use! My scales at home weigh me about 3lb lighter than the onces at LL (also effected by the fact at weigh in the morning and home and in the evening at LL). So If I have dropped 4 lbs at home, I know that the LL scales will show the same loss even if not the same weight. My mum's scales at home have me weighing half a stone lighter than I KNOW I am.......so don't worry - trust the scales you usually use and don't panic!

I have had my scales banished a I know I am a scale hopper. I found that I would get on and off regularly and if they seemed to be telling me I was not losing I would get very despondent.

My husband has hidden them and since then I found I have lost every week. Yesterday I was worried I hadnt lost any as I have my WI on Tuesay so I measured myself instead and had lost inches everywhere, so am so glad I did not get on the scales.

Also whay you wear can change your weight. By the way my daughter always complains that I shrink her jeans if I put them in the tumble dryer.

So you see, it could be anything, so dont lose hope and give up.

We are all here to support you.:grouphugg:

Also....I do a lot of exercise as I am an endurance rider - far in excess of what you have mentioned - and its not been an issue - just given me lots of lovely weight lost!!

quick hi-Jack - please excuse

Deb G - is there a max weight fro horse riding. Just want a hack really on an old nag - never been trained but used to ride bareback as a child on my Cousins pony - would love a go at 'proper' riding. Obviously wouldn't want to cripple a horse so is there an unsafe weight?

Thanks in advance

Deb G - is there a max weight fro horse riding. Just want a hack really on an old nag - never been trained but used to ride bareback as a child on my Cousins pony - would love a go at 'proper' riding. Obviously wouldn't want to cripple a horse so is there an unsafe weight?

It depends on the size and build of the horse as to what weight it will carry. For example, a 15hh Welsh Cob (chunky type) can carry more weight than my 17hh Thoroughbred (racehorse). Most riding schools have chunky horses for larger riders (often Shire or Clydesdale types or heavy weight cobs).

The best thing to do is ring a riding school and ask what their maximum weight allowance is as it will depend on the horses they have. Obviously the lighter you are, the more choice of horses you have!!

Good luck - give it a go - its WONDERFUL exercise!!:)

Back