Could SW be the answer? Please help me?

Hello,

I hope I don't bore you with my story, but here goes. I am 31, a mum of two (20M and 3yrs) I have been a yoyoer for as long as I can remember, and NEVER happy with my weight. I actually don't remember when I started to get so obsessed with everything, but I have gotten to the point where I cant go a day, sometimes not even an hour without worrying about my body/weight and food. The other thing is, I do all of this but then go and eat silly stuff like bread and chocolate, and sometimes in secret too. I feel like Ive messed up my 'wiring' somewhere since having the babies, and now I just feel so overwhelmed and trapped in a diet rut that I feel like its never going to end. Still reading?

OK, So I have always been the fad dieter, Atikins, south beach, Pig to Twig, and most recently Dukan. I started out on Dukan at 12st 13lbs. I finished up before christmas 11st 6lbs and feeling in control, but christmas was a set back and I really realised how much id missed bread, pasta etc. Also, my dh is now vegetarian which meant cooking 3 meals in the evening for children, dh and myself. This is just not how I want my life to go.... slaving in kitchen from 5pm to 8pm!!

Anyway, my question to you is, with the benefit of your experience and knowledge of the SW way, do you think that this could be a positive move for me, is it realistic and do you think the group will hekp me get over my bad habits?? DH suggested therapy but wondered if wiping diet slate clean and going for something very realistic is my first port of call?

I have so many friends who are slim, or have lost weight quickly and succesfully, I can't talk to them about my issues...... Im embarrassed and fed up of feeling like a loser. :(

Thanks xx:)

I think you will find lots of people here who have been in the same boat hun trying every quick fix or fad diet going. Its a big step to recognise that things like that are not ever going to work and that if you want to lose the weight and keep it off then you have to make permanent changes to your diet so congratulations on realising this.

And SW? Well its basically just healthy eating - nothing is banned so you can have your bread and chocolate etc within limits. I dont know how much you know about the plan already but you can eat as much pasta, rice, potatoes, noodles,lean meat, fish, pulses, grains and meat free alternatives (great for hubby) as you need to satisfy your appetite as long as you aim to have a third fruit and (most) veggies with each meal. So it really is extra easy! All just good wholesome foods that will be great for the whole family so no need to cook three different meals, with hardly any weighing or measuring needed. It really is a plan that you can do for the rest of your life while teaching your kiddies healthy eating habits too.

So draw a line and forget about everything that has gone on in the past. Look on this as a new start and the beginning of the rest of your life. There will be days when the going is hard or when you have setbacks but the trick is not to beat yourself up when this happens as we are only human after all. Forgive yourself and dont make a bad day turn into a bad week, month or year! We have a saying on this board - if you had a bunch of seven flowers and one was drooping, would you through out the whole bunch? Course not because there are still six good flowers growing there and its the same with weight loss. One bad day does not make you a failure!

Good luck hun and look forward to seeing more of you on this board xx

So well put patchwork! My c uses to flowers thing a lot, it helps a lot of people I think. Patchwork has said it all really, all I can do is reiterate what she has so elequently said. It is a healthy eating plan for life. I have been at target 16 months, if it was a faddy diet (we dont use the word diet with s w) then there would be no way I could have done it for 16 months. Just a way of life now!If you join S W it will be one of the best decisions you ever make. And we are all here to help and support. :)

just read your story and i know how you feel but just to let you know i started sw on 7th jan 2013 and i must say that it has worked for me so far im down 17.5lb so far. Really it seams with sw its really how you cook your food. I would recommend sw from my experience any way and my daughter has lost some weight weight just from eating my food and knowing about the syns for instance if i was to have and extra two slices of ww bread that will be 6 syns but i could have a meal with rice, potaotes or pasta and have as mush as i want for free you know it makes u kind off double think. This is my first time to post but when I read your story I know how you feel i dont want to go out so much because I just dont feel good no matter what i wear but on the plus side people are noticing that im loosing the weight.
Hope this helps good luck,
fiona.

I felt the same as you last year. I've been yoyoing with my weight since my teens, had two kids and kind of thought I'd never lose weight again, I did Atkins, and all sorts. I started Slimming World last May because I felt so uncomfortable in my body. I started a size 18 and got to a size 12 by November doing extra easy. I found it so easy to follow, especially with kids, loads of great recipes everyone enjoys. We have a lot of veggy food now as well, quorn stirfry, quorn bolo, quorn cottage pie, Linda McCartney sausage and mash. I'm abit of slimming world bore. But it's a way of eating that has become automatic and it's great just seeing the weight fall off, it worked wonders for me :)

I just found this, I wrote this in February and Im really cross with myself for not getting sorted this yr. When I wrote that post I was sat on a month long holiday in ther Canaries and weighing in at 11st10. I started SW officially two weeks ago at 12st8 and I am not 12st5. (GAINED 1LB LAST WEEK! GRRR!)

I feel like my head is in the right place for dieting now, especially as my 4y/o has started school, I feel a bit less stressed and have a bit more head space for me!

Back