Counting calories

RedDress2011

I notice alot of people count calories, as well as eating a low Gi/GL diet ---I don't as I thought that if the GL was under 40 for holford diet then it does not matter how many calories one eats --so therefore can we eat unlimited amounts of say for example meat that has a GL of 0--whats peoples thought on this?

The Holford diet is already controlling food intake with the GL count so I'd agree that in that case counting calories would seem a bit redundant. :)

In my case, I don't count GLs so log my calories. I've found that for me personally eating low GI/GL principles with only my appetite as a guide results in maintaining (which will be great when I reach target) so I need to log something to lose and for me calories was easiest. :)

That said, some people only log initially to get an idea of portion sizes etc and then eyeball it after that. I think whatever is best for each person is the way to go. :)

Oh I'm not sure I answered your actual question, oops. :eek:

As far as eating as much meat as you like... Are you feeling hungry on the Holford plan? I can't get to my books right now and can't specifically recall his guidance on what to eat more of if you are.

I would say though that I've sometimes found some of the popular authors' portions to be smaller than what I had been used to, and I've kind of eased into that. I did Slimming World before and it took my stomach a little while to get used to the change. Usually now if I feel hungry there's a definable reason. If you're doing a lot of exercise I think you need to make some allowance for that also.

Me again, lol. I found the Holford 'made easy' book. It looks like he's saying that hopefully you won't be hungry as long as you spread the 40+5 GL through the day. I can vouch that regular snacks really do help with this. (I can't tell from your diary how your GL are distributed through the day) He does say that you can eat more than his recommended protein serving if needed as they are indicative of what meets your protein needs, not necessarily reflective of what you might eat. There's also a list of very low carb veg that can be eaten in virtually unlimited quantity, is that in your book? So for myself if I needed extra snacks I'd probably aim for lean meat or lowfat cheese plus some of those veg. :)

I'm pleased you asked this question as I was wondering the same. I've just started out on the Holford diet and am currently not counting calories.

At the moment I'm thinking that i'll stick with the 40 GL's without counting calories then when the weight loss stops or slows down drastically I'll start looking at calories as well. X

One of the criticisms of GL will be the fact that we can relax into thinking we can have high amounts of low gl foods that may also be high in calories e.g. Proteins, nuts,seeds etc.
If you are following Holford, using his menus etc and really watching the portion sizes then you should be ok. When you make up any of his recipes the portions are small but more than adequate.
I followed holford's plan but found losses stalled unless I watched the portions. I also found trying to remember how many gls this or that had was confusing. I decided to overlay his low GL plan with calorie tracking just until I could visualise correct portions, not obsessively.
This has worked well for me for almost two years.
At the end of the day, no matter what food plan we follow, calories in must be less than calories out in order to achieve weight loss. Most of us at one point or another have used calorie counting and this is probably why we keep an eye to them whilst choosing low GL foods.
See how you go and if the losses are stalling then consider counting the cals of your low gl foods for a week or two.

Hi Reddress, I don't calorie count, though I did for a little bit, but I found it way too confusing, frustrating and time consuming. I have a food scale I used in order to get used to how much things looked like for their GL score.

I still use mfp for tracking my exercise, but I found the whole eating back calories etc, just confusing, or I just wasn't able to stuff myself for the sake of eating back calories. I guess it's all personal preference and what works for one doesn't work for everyone >_<. I learned that with losing weight you have to experiment a bit and find what works best for you :).

In the beginning of my low GL experience, I would get hungry from my exercises. Molly gave me a good advice and that was to eat more leafy veggies. You can eat a lot of leafy veggies, like a salad with lemon juice and salad seasoning on it. I would eat about half a plate mound of leafy greens (usually rockets and spinach) with my meals, and it really helped fill me up. Also since it was leafy greens I didn't have to worry about the GL or the calories :)

Hi All--thanks for your replies, I think I will carry on counting the GLs and gauging the plate portioning and see how this goes for January ---if I start counting calories, I feel I will have missed the object of doing the holford diet and I thought that we could lose weight with just a stable/low blood sugar ---I have sent for the starter pack of Zest4life that was on offer at £25.00--I let you know whats in it when it comes and whether its worth the money--

I've been keeping an eye on my portions sizes rather than counting calories. I hope to eat this way for the rest of my life, and therefore don't want to see it as a "diet" as such. I also find that I am more likely to cheat when counting calories (or points/syns whatever). Don't know why, it must be something in my psychological makeup lol

I think everyone is different with this. When I first started, I used to control my portions but after a while I stalled, so started to calorie count. I know I have a tendency to make my portions bigger than I should and counting calories is a way of retaining control. Most days I know exactly how much I am taking in and feel happier knowing this. On the days I don't count calories (like the past three days because I have been eating away from home a lot) I definitely feel a bit out of control.

I track calories but I'm following jennie brand-millers plan and like to know I'm not over doing it.
As for tracking GL if you have an iPod iPhone or iPad there's an app by holford for checking the GL of common foods and tracking on your menu

Back