Courgette crisps - help!

Humbug

Courgette crisps are one of my pre-slimming world favourites. I don't make them very often because I'm too lazy (and I don't have a mandolin).

To make them I just slice them finely and microwave them with a couple of sprays of fry light and a sprinkle of salt.

They are superfree on EE (and free on red and green). Someone suggested to me today that I should be counting them as syns as eating them as a snack is a tweak.

I had thought that they are not a tweak as I am simply microwaving a courgette... :sigh: :confused:

If I *do* need to syn them, how should I do that as they are free on all plans?!

Any advice greatly received!!

I can't see the problem of having these as a snack, we are encouraged to eat superfree foods as snacks, unless anyone else disagrees? Tempted to try myself, I love courgettes x

Hi girls, this is a grey area with SW as it is to do with quantities and how much you can eat as crisps vs how much you can eat as a vegetable and how people are far more likely to eat beyond what they normally would making them into crisps. I may be wrong but think its also the way it is cooked making it less filling and easier to digest that means you are meant to syn them. Like I say may be wrong but couldn't not say anything and at the risk of messing up someone's weight loss x x

I think it depends on whether or not its fruit or vegetable, you are fine to cook and purée vegetables (soups etc) but fruit has to be synned or a HEX B if cooked or puréed. As courgette is a vegetable you will be fine not to syn them, as you said Humbug, they are only microwaved.

I agree don't think they world need to be synd. you don't SYN soup and that's exactly the same. If it was apples you were microwaving. Then that's different but pretty sure you are ok with courgette xxxx

Week 1 -7.5lb
Week 2 - 4.0lb
Week 3 - 0.5lb
Week 4 - 4.5lb
Week 5 - hol
Week 6 - sts
Week 7 - sts
Week 8 -
Week 9 -
Week 10 -

Thanks everyone :)

I spoke to my consultant about this today, and as it is a superfree vegetable she said it's ok to eat as much as I like! She said if I was using a potato it would be considered a tweak, an abuse of free food. But as it is a superfree vegetable it's ok to snack freely on them. They are free on all plans.

Having said that, I had them as part of a meal yesterday. I chopped up carrots and celery into crudités and had them with the courgettes with some home made free garlic dip and it was yummy! That meal was 2/3 superfree and 1/3 free; I think that if I had the dip as part of a snack it would need to be syns as it's free and not superfree. :confused: Not really sure, hence I made a meal of it. :)

@CntrlC it depends on your microwave and how finely you slice them. I spray a couple of sprays of fry-light (butter one) onto a plate, put the courgette slices on the plate, a couple of sprays of fry-light on top and a sprinkle of salt. A *tiny* sprinkle of salt as they will absorb the salt very easily. I find that I'm microwaving them between 3 and 5 minutes in total depending on how thick the slices are. I microwave them for a minute and a half at a time as they burn easily! It's easy to tell they are done as they are crinkly and the middle is almost golden. Then you have to leave them to cool - they crisp up as they cool.

They sound lovely!

Considering an average courgette only has about 30 calories in it, you could eat ten and even with the frylight it isn't a lot. Anyway your stomach probably isn't big enough to hold ten courgettes!

Tried these last night, very tasty but the main problem is eating all the first batch while cooking the second! I found with courgette that I had to microwave them until very-brown-but-not-quite-burnt for them to crisp up properly. Any tips on how to avoid this?

Also tried with finely sliced beetroot and sweet potato, even better, they were just like the veg crisps you get in bags :) However you do have to watch the microwave like a hawk because the beetroot goes from undercooked to burnt in a matter of seconds :S

Tried these last night, very tasty but the main problem is eating all the first batch while cooking the second! I found with courgette that I had to microwave them until very-brown-but-not-quite-burnt for them to crisp up properly. Any tips on how to avoid this?

Also tried with finely sliced beetroot and sweet potato, even better, they were just like the veg crisps you get in bags :) However you do have to watch the microwave like a hawk because the beetroot goes from undercooked to burnt in a matter of seconds :S

I also have both problems! (I just put them in a bowl and cover them until I've cooked them all). I like them very brown.

Be careful with sweet potato: my SW consultant says that eating them like this would be a tweak so you need to syn them. The beetroot should be ok though as it is superfree :)

Back