• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Cycling clothing - any ideas?

S: 17st7lb C: 11st6lb G: 9st0lb BMI: 29.6 Loss: 6st1lb(34.69%)
I've joined a cycling team with the aim to doing the Manchester - Blackpool ride in July (arghhh 60 miles). Before now I've only ever been cycling at lunchtime in work (only ever done 6 miles max) and for that I've been wearing jogging bottoms, t-shirt and a hooded jacket. But as from 2nd Feb I join this group and we're meeting every 2 weeks and start off at doing 15 miles we're going to train and work up to the ride.

My problem is where can I buy some cycling clothes in the sizes I need, I've been looking online and am struggling to buy the clothes in larger sizes - some sizes have size 12 as LARGE!!!!

I'm probably about a size 20 now so would hope to be in an 18 by 2nd Feb - so does anyone have any ideas of a good retailer where I can get at the very least a waterproof cycling jacket.

I know I could get one of the mens xxl but I'm only 5' 2" so I don't want it to bury me in length and sleeve etc as I'd struggle to cycle and I think I'll be struggling enough!

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
Hi Katie
Aldi is the best for cycling and ski-ing stuff. I pick up all sorts of cycling gear from when I was size 22 down to 14, padded lyra shorts, trainers and jackets etc with little pockets for your drink and the straw curls round to your mouth. All very technical :) but inexpensive and does the job Good luck with your challenge.

Really proud of you Kate, what a challenge - good on you.

Good Luck

Decathlon has cheap sports wear for most sports - I got a great cycling jacket there in the summer for £10...and it's goretex. I don't know what size they go up to thou - but if there is one near you, it is worth a look

try these web sites.
Plus Woman's Bike Shorts for Cycling - Full Figure cycling short female biking

Wiggle - Womens cycling | Womens running | Womens Swimming | UK's #1 Online Bike shop

Evans Cycles: Department: Womens Section

If you cant get the bigger size you may have to go to mens clothing, it is very frustrating i know. It was a great day when i could fit back into female size clothing. If you dont get any joy email me on [email protected] as i know my daughter before the cambridge days managed to get size 20 and i will ask her where she got the cycle shorts from.

Also any good bike shop should be able to help you by ordering for you.

S: 17st7lb C: 11st6lb G: 9st0lb BMI: 29.6 Loss: 6st1lb(34.69%)
Thanks everyone for your messages, help and support --- I think I've found one http://http://www.cycleshopping.co.uk/acatalog/Polaris_Hydrofoil.html It says it's a mans jacket that's been converted to fit women ie they've made the sleeves and the length shorter so it's just what I need.

I've added the links you've all sent me to my faves though for future reference.

Cheers

Maffie

S: 86.9kg C: 83.8kg G: 65kg BMI: 33.8 Loss: 3.1kg(3.6%)
Hi Katie I cant pm yet so wnated to ask how this went, ive become quite a keen cyclist in the last few months and its great to another girl localish to me cycling