Cycling?

Woodland girl

Gold Member
Any cyclists out there? Would love to hear what you are doing and how you are getting on- its my main exercise right now!

I just did the south downs way over 5 days. Such hard work and lost no weight!!! Eeek. Guessing it will catch up with me though, I hope!

I'm dusting off my bike and giving it some TLC and starting my early shifts by cycling in! Will let you know how it goes :)

Well done rhino! How far is your ride to work? Mine is only 2.5 miles but at least I don't arrive too sweaty! ( well not on this weather!)

I cycle to work weather permitting, it's not too far, just over 3miles. I live in Preston, Lancashire & it's the Preston Guild this year, therefore, there are lots of events etc going on. One of which is a Guild Cycle Wheel which goes around Preston, it's 21 miles in total, we did that a few weeks ago & it was really nice, it's mainly flat, but you get to see parts of Preston you haven't seen before & it takes you through nice nature parks.

I have to say I love cycling. Having been away from it for many years I decided back in March to buy a new bike. Figured I could ride to work (7.5 miles each way) and have a bit of fun off road when not at work. Was working out on until a little health set back but have recently got back on it. Just doing about 5-7 miles of an evening at the moment and am hoping to do the work commute again as of my next set of shifts now I'm back at work. I'm lucky as I can choose to ride to/from work along main roads, country lanes or rough old canal banks.

Has anybody ever done one of the long cycle rides for charity? I only ask as I have noticed that BHF are doing a Manchester to Blackpole night ride in a few months which looks interesting, though I don't think I can the night off work at the moment.

Has anybody ever done one of the long cycle rides for charity? I only ask as I have noticed that BHF are doing a Manchester to Blackpole night ride in a few months which looks interesting, though I don't think I can the night off work at the moment.

I'd love to do a charity cycle ride & mentioned this to my sister, her comment was that even though you were raising money for charity, an amount was still paying towards the cost of flight, accomodation, guides etc which she didn't think was fair. Her comment made me think.

Yeah, I think charity raising stuff has to be looked into to ensure its the best one

Did 36 miles today, longest ride since we did the south downs way in June. Loved it!!

36 miles, well done! My longest so far is 23 miles (with lots of hills, though). Did you do it straight through or take a break on the ride?

I'd love to do a charity cycle ride & mentioned this to my sister, her comment was that even though you were raising money for charity, an amount was still paying towards the cost of flight, accomodation, guides etc which she didn't think was fair. Her comment made me think.

Yeah, I think charity raising stuff has to be looked into to ensure its the best one

Did 36 miles today, longest ride since we did the south downs way in June. Loved it!!

You raise a very good point there. When you look into a lot of these charity expeditions and the like it makes you wander how much the charity is actually getting. The one I mentioned above I was interested in because the charity is one close to my own heart (excuse the pun), and the entry cost is just that. There is no travel included, you make your own way to the start in Manchester, and then when you finish in Blackpool you have to make your own way back to your start point if you originally travelled in the car. Thing is I bet there are people who would happily cover that cost from sponsorship. Shameful.

36 miles, that's brill.

I need to do some today, even if it is boiling hot outside. Thinking of getting one of those tow along bikes for the little one (5yo) so I can take the kids out too. Besides, the extra weight will help the workout.

When you're looking at the charity ones. Look at the minimum amount they say you need to raise. That's their costs to get you there etc

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi I'm married to a cyclist who has done several charity rides and I currently and have previously worked for a charity - although not in events. I think I would struggle to raise as much as some rides I see require. If you contact the charity they'll give you a breakdown of how the money you raise is spent and how much they get.

I've recently got back into cycling and hoping it'll help me shift some weight and up my fitness.

Hope this is ok and if not then admins please remove! The charity I work for, The Air Ambulance Service, has just launched it's first ever Rutland Water Bike Ride choice of either 17 or 23 mile route and if you have your own bike great, if not you can hire them fom Rutland Cycling. There's also a rock climbing wall and high ropes course so lots for all the family to do you can find out more info at Rutland Water Bike Ride 2012 | The Air Ambulance Service | TAAS

Well not really done much training this month due to weather and illness. And tomorrow we are doing 50 miles charity ride!! Eeek. Thai meal at the end might keep me going!

Hi HH, it went well thanks, we all made it. Lunch break was at 25 miles. I think if you can do 25 you can do 50 as long as you eat lots and dont race up hills!

Back