Dare I start running?

meoww

Silver Member
My dad mum and sister are all runners, dad has done several marathons, sis and mum done some 1/2 marathons, and theres me.. and Im feeling left out and really like the idea of being a runner too, but Im not sure whether it will even be any good for me..
As you can see by my stats, I am heavy, does anyone think too heavy to run? (I wont be offended if the answer is yes) anyone have any experiences to share with me or advice?
my main concerns are; I damage my knees, I cause my appetite to grow larger, I have an asthma attack, I fail miserably in general.

meoww said:
My dad mum and sister are all runners, dad has done several marathons, sis and mum done some 1/2 marathons, and theres me.. and Im feeling left out and really like the idea of being a runner too, but Im not sure whether it will even be any good for me..
As you can see by my stats, I am heavy, does anyone think too heavy to run? (I wont be offended if the answer is yes) anyone have any experiences to share with me or advice?
my main concerns are; I damage my knees, I cause my appetite to grow larger, I have an asthma attack, I fail miserably in general.

Hi Meoww, I can't see your stats (using iphone) but you could start gently by using the C25K.
If the impact might be too much on your knee joints then perhaps start off with walking and possibly cycling (a stationary bike is very accessible & convenient), till you are more comfortable.
With the appetite: it is hard! I found that it is true that the stomach recognises volume regardless -to some extent -of food type. I am trying to get more into filling up more on fruits & veggies with less carbs in the picture...

If it is any help, many of us are trying to find our way in this whole fitness issue. I find the support on this forum great :)

PS: Check out the C25K thread on this forum

I was trying the c25k a few months back and found I wasnt progressing but I since realised I was sprinting in my intervals rather than just jogging, I went for a little run tonight, 2 miles distance and ran for the first 1.5miles before having to walk a bit. I am fairly pleased, I kept getting a stitch which was annoying and had to use my asthma inhaler but I tried!

oh and I weigh 12 stone 3 or so, do cycle a small amount.

I find Cycling, well exercise bike works best for me, i do some jogging but where i live it is all up and down steep hills. I think the hills are better for power walking then full out running or fast walking and jogging down the hills. I also find going longer distance and steadier works best for my joints as i am still 16st10lbs but for 95% of the time i stick to the bike. I also take Glucosomine Sulphate which helps the joints.

if you do want to start running, always bring an inhalor with you just incase!

your not too heavy to run :)

You should go for it! I started running when I was about 14st and I managed it. Yes, its hard at first, but it does get easier. And its really helped me with my weight loss.

Go for it!!! If you have to stop and walk then all very well, but next time try and walk for slightly less. Plus also a lot easier i find if you have a running buddy.

aw cheers guys for all the encouragement! I went for a little run! It was ok, and im going to keep trying. I went to a spin class too which I found really fun, so Im feeling motivated at the moment! although Ive just had my feet tattooed which I didnt realise would make walking very difficult.. but as soon as Im healed I'll be back out there!

Back