Dawn French v Paul O'Grady

fillymum

synful soul
versus only in respect of their autobiographies.

I have just finished Dawn French's, Hello Fatty, and found it boring and tedious though I finished every word of it. I never start a book and do not finish it.
I love Dawn French, I think she is amazing, clever, funny and so entertaining. But for me her book let her down.
Yesterday I started Paul O'Grady book, At my Mothers Knee or other Low Joints. I have only read 2 chapters and have roared laughing. So far it has been all I expected it to be.
Now I really like both of them and am really surprised that the one I would have thought was the most intellectual, in my opinion, has the worst book.
Has anyone else read both. I would love to hear your views.......................

I definately found Dawn French boring to be honest and loved Paul's autobio but only read his first one three years or more ago. I think Paul is more geniunine as I have read about Dawn trying to please people when it suits her with regardness of being fat (this was before the time she lost all her weight).

Now, see, I love Dawn French, and I love Paul O'Grady (what with him being a local boy) - but I have only read Dawns book, and got bored about half way through. However, I read her novel "A Tiny Bit Marvellous" and that was quite good. Perhaps it simply boils down to the fact that he has had a much more varied and interesting life so has more to draw on for material, plus his sense of humour is much more ascerbic, whereas hers is more of a "middle-England" chortle sort of humour. I shall now hunt down his autobiography (I think I know someone who has a copy I could purloin) so that I can give a more balanced perspective to this discussion.

PS Welcome back down south!

Thanks for your replies.

Gill, I think Dawns book was as dry as dust, hard to follow and just a tad self indulgent but that is just my opinion. However I am one of her greatest fans.
Paul makes me howl with laughter in life. Every time I see him perform I laugh , his book is doing the same. It is quite an achievement to be able to reproduce yourself so well in print. I already feel as if I know his family.
It is well worth searching out a copy.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. It is so good to be back and able to air and discuss random topics.

Am about half way through it - am a fast reader! Have to admit to proper laughing at several parts - particularly "corned beef leg".

I have howled with laughter reading of his mothers *experience* with the Lebonese Black*...............

Good relaxing reading that transports you away from real life and into a life and family you can almost feel.

Certainly is, and for me, it helps that I am familiar with the places he describes. BUT OMG what a cliffhanger ending!!!!

It does read as though hes having a conversation with you, which I found at times made it a bit tricky to follow, because you can see the train of thought jumping from one memory to the next but it can take a paragraph or two before you realise how the train of thought jumped that way and why. Wasnt detrimental, I can imagine that is exactly how it poured out of his head. I have a friend who used to be on the "scene" with him way back when... they used to refer to one another by the names of characters from Coronation Street. I shall have to pick his brains...

Gosh that was fast Gill ! I am nowhere near the end yet.

I believe there is a second book..................in fact there is and you can read part of it on Amazon. It looks even funnier

I am impressed !!!

Sorry for the double post, but no-one said anything since last I did. So unfortunate side-effect...

Finished the second one yesterday teatime, and I know hes not dead and therefore it isnt going to be "up-to-date" but there has to be at least another 10 books worth of life to be had out of him yet!!!! That said, I think if he had put it all in one book it would have either been the size of the London Phone Book, or would have destroyed a rainforest in the making.

Properly compelling reading. I NEED MORE!!!

MadameLaMinx said:
Sorry for the double post, but no-one said anything since last I did. So unfortunate side-effect...

Finished the second one yesterday teatime, and I know hes not dead and therefore it isnt going to be "up-to-date" but there has to be at least another 10 books worth of life to be had out of him yet!!!! That said, I think if he had put it all in one book it would have either been the size of the London Phone Book, or would have destroyed a rainforest in the making.

Properly compelling reading. I NEED MORE!!!

Ooh I never read biographies, but will check out the library!

You will not be sorry............his books are compulsive reading.

Back