day 4 - chewing gum and sweeteners

Trinalouise

its day four for me and i was out today and felt like my breath was starting to smell so I had some chewing gum.

How bad is it really to have some?

and which sweetener tablets are ok? I got some canderel ones today but havent used them yet cause Im not sure if they are ok?

Thanks!!

hiya, hate to tell you but i've been told on here that chewing gum is a no no. I use stevia tablets but i think ccandarel is ok but please dont quote me on it. Take a look at some of the sticky threads as there are bits of info in there, maybe the faq one?

I was having the odd bits of gum and was ok but bought a pack yesterday and had it all over today and yesterday and my tummy grumbles are back so I think it may have knocked my ketosis a bit! So if you can avoid it and get the breath strips do it!!

I think sweeteners that don't have aspartame in are ok but I'm not 100% sure!!

in the sticky faq's it just says tablet sweeteners are ok so i assume thats all of them

ooh these ones have it in them so I guess you cant have them

is aspartame best avoided cos its horrible side effects though or is it to do with ketosis chelly?
i dont have it cos it can worsen muscular pain and depression

That may be what I read Keely lol!

I'll go see what I can find In the stickies too lol

the only thing i found on sweeteners is that tablet ones are ok, its in the faq's. i would assume therefore that all of them are ok...... i hope so anyway cos ive been having my stevia ones in all my coffee shakes ooops

I've been chewing gum on and off for the past 2 weeks and its not knocked me out f ketosis - I only tend to chew for a little while and then get rid of the gum.

ok what chelly might have read... exante is the only vlcd that has no aspartame in its products
it seems all sweeteners are fine Trina so we're good hun xxx

ok what chelly might have read... exante is the only vlcd that has no aspartame in its products
it seems all sweeteners are fine Trina so we're good hun xxx

thats great, thanks!!!!

I use Canderel! They're find to use. I used them while on LT as well. :)

Yep think it does appear it lol!

I just use the tescos value ones!they are way cheaper and I find they aren't as sweet as other brands but I prefer that!

Hi all, I believe the only problem with chewing gum (apart from the sweeteners/sugar) is that it generates saliva and swallowing the saliva tells your stomach to expect food :)

That's actually probably it mrmojo and the hunger pains and grumbles were my stomachs revenge lol!

Hi all, I believe the only problem with chewing gum (apart from the sweeteners/sugar) is that it generates saliva and swallowing the saliva tells your stomach to expect food :)

I'm pretty sure that's it. At the end of the day, what will stop ketosis is carb intake. I find a chewing gum quite essential after I had my carbonara at night and then perhaps go out again, I need clean teeth, cannot stand the whole "just eaten" feeling.

All the tablet sweetners are ok, it's the powdered sweetner that's not allowed. Re not having aspartame, this is the only VLCD that is completely aspartame free from what I understand. Aspartame isnt good for you and I'm sure I've heard in the past that it has carcinogenic properties so you're always recommended to avoid it if possible.

The chewing gum is a tricky one. I bought some for myself but then chickened out of using it. I use breath spray and listerine strips if I feel I need something. This is what it says on the Exante website:

[h=3]Can I chew gum?[/h] Chewing gum may bring you out of ketosis as gastric juices are released. If you feel chewing gum will help you to sustain your diet then it is your own individual choice. If possible you should try not to chew for more than a few minutes.

Thanks for the jael! The fountain of wisdom as always =)

I've ordered some listerine strips off of ebay. I'm "patiently" waiting for them. They need to hurry up already!!

Back