Day 4 - Feeling very weak and tired :(

nikkikb

Not feeling great today. Feel like I could lie down and go to sleep (I did have a bad nights sleep last night but can normally power through it). My legs and arms feel very weak too. So far today I have eaten:-

2 eggs, 40g mushrooms and 2 slices back bacon fried in a little butter

2 low carb sausages, 100g brocolli, 30g cheese

1 mini babybel

Dinner will be 2 pork chops with 100g broccoli, 50g asparagus

Am I still not getting enough carbs in? I just want to be sure I am doing this right.

Unfortunately it is very normal to feel bad for a few days at the start. My "carb flu" was horrendous, but only lasted perhaps 4 days. Drink plenty of water, use painkillers if you get headaches, and try as hard as you can to ride it out. If you cave and have carbs, get right back to plan again.

If you use an online food tracker like MyFitnessPal you can check your levels- basically the majority of your carbs should come from veg. I don't think it matters if you don't have enough carbs, but it won't really help you either. 20g is about right.

I sympathise- best of luck!

Poor you - definitely atkins flu. What boggins says^. Try take it easy for a few days, dont worry about exercise - just eat legally and dont worry too much about exactness til you can think again. Some people find chicken stock made up as a hot drink really helps but check carbs on packet

You will feel better soon - see my diary thread if you want to know what my carb withdrawal from hell felt like:) upside is i dont plan to do that again:eek:

aww nothing worse than feeling like poopies,:(
it will pass,and the energy will kick in pretty soon.
don't forget your water,dehydration can make you feel
pants too.
:)

Thanks all. I am trying to drink as much water as I can - luckily for me it is my favourite drink :) I also added some salt to my food.

I think I need more veg. I really can't tolerate salad so will try eating as much mushroom and peppers as I can to add to the salad count. But I have had 340g veg today so a lot more than I would normally eat.

It doesn't help with people saying Atkins is so bad for your health. And someone on another forum said if you don't eat enough carbs you can die??!! I am a massive hypochondriac so the scientific truth would be good to hear or I will get anxious :(

i'm new also and have also had the negative comments, infact yes if u actually had 0 carbs for a long period of time then you could get ill but your not, there are even high carbs in thinks like onions, veg salad etc so unless your just eating a lump of meat cooked dry for breakfast lunch and dinner there is no chance of that.

i found my headaches have passed quickly with the amount of water i am drinking.. i have always likes green tea ( not sure about the carbs dont think it is alot if any) but i find it helps keep me regular and feeling healthy.

defo use my fitness pal as you can easily see what's in the foods excellent tool and a good app for your phone (with barcode scanner)

The truth is that the human body can survive without any carbohydrates whatsoever. You would die without fat, and you would die without protein, but carbs? No.

Carbs are basically sugar to the body- glucose. Only one part of you requires- I mean literally HAS to have glucose to work, a part of the brain. Your liver can make glucose (a process called gluconeogenesis). So you don't need to eat it!

Have a read of this for the facts: Carbohydrates in Nutrition at The Doctors' Medical Library - Health and Medical Information

It is also v. useful to read up on low carb diets so you really understand the science behind them, especially when people are scaremongering. This might be a good start:
The Low Carbohydrate Handbook - The Low Carb Wiki

:)

you'll come across many,and i mean many,who will
tell you the voice of doom,they are talking rubbish !
many of us here don't mention the word Atkins as the majority
of people have a :brainfart: when you do,so i say i'm on
low carb diet,and that sits better,there will always be
doubting Thomas's with anything hun always
like"oo don't do roller blading coz my auntys left toe fell off"
you'll be fine.:)

my headache lasted 5 days, but it soon past just have will power.!! lol. and drink plenty of water as water. you have to have at least 64 fl oz a day.!! i have 2 and half litres.!!

Back