day one and over 8 stone to loose aaahhhh

emilyj

So here I am with A LOT of weight to loose but I know I have to do it, I'm starting to find that being so large is really starting to affect me both physically and mentally, I just want to hide and I am finding simple day to day tasks harder. So this is day one of a very long road, I am doing a vlcd as I find that the fast losses help me but as I have found out the hard way I will start a healthy eating plan as I get down to a better weight so I don't gain it back again. I could really do with some support :wave_cry:

Hi and welcome I know at the start it seems like a lot of weight but there is loads in the same boat as you. I have lost 10 and 1/2 stone so far so over your total weight loss. There are other people with bigger losses or goals. My big advice is to not focus on the overall weight you need to lose but smaller chunks or mini goals as many of us call it. We all have different ones. For some its leaving a certain stone bracket, for others its changing a BMI whatever you want to set really. But focus on them as a goal and that way you will feel more achievements. It really helped me so much doing it that way.

Welcome emilyj :) you are in the rightplace for support! All of us in this section know exactly how you feel. So keep up the good work and join in lots :)

thank you so much for the reply and well done on your amazing loss! how long did it take you to shift that much? and how have you done it if you don't mind me asking.x

The date I joined was the date I started. The first 8 came off in just under a year. This last bit is proving a bit hard to shift, I had to stop for a while as I am not very well.
I have a few health issues so most VLCDs are out for me and money was a bit tight so SW and WW was off limits too.
Basically I reduced my fat and calories. I would eat 2 medium meals and then small snacks. And replaced a lot of things so when I get butter, I now get flora light or bread I get the thin sliced WW bread etc. I will be honest I haven't restricted carbs that much but I do try and eat the right carbs so all white breads and pastas are out. And I last time I had alcohol was Christmas as there is many hidden calories/sugars in them.

I did used My Fitness Pal. Now I cant be bothered to fill it in. But its a really good thing to use when starting off at least as it gives you an idea of what foods contain and keeping a food diary really keeps you focused on exactly how much your eating. Their database on store foods is huge and for me anyway who wasn't exactly sure of how I wanted to plan it, it helped me keep on track.
I also swam loads. As I am crap at land based exercise. I cant at the moment as I am poorly but that helped too. With cardio I find its not so much the intensity but the duration. So say your on a rower on level 10 an can only do 5 minutes, its much better to go to level 6 and do 15 minutes etc. But the exercise in my view is not as important as the diet as I have lost a few stone without it. It helps and it does tone up but the diet is the most important bit. Also I tried not to eat back the calories I burnt after exercise, loads don't like swimming as they feel hungry afterwards. I found it was actually thirst and once I drank it killed my appetite after a swim.

Sorry for the essay, anyway that's how I did it.

So here I am with A LOT of weight to loose but I know I have to do it, I'm starting to find that being so large is really starting to affect me both physically and mentally, I just want to hide and I am finding simple day to day tasks harder. So this is day one of a very long road, I am doing a vlcd as I find that the fast losses help me but as I have found out the hard way I will start a healthy eating plan as I get down to a better weight so I don't gain it back again. I could really do with some support :wave_cry:
Hi Emily, you will be amazed how quickly it will be before your 3 or 4 stone in lots of us have been there, if you keep hanging in there we will do what we can to support you ;) good luck mate :)

Hi Emily!

Best of luck to you on your journey. I, too, have about 8 stone to lose (this is after shifting 5 already) so I'll be right there beside you every step of the way! I'm on Cambridge, because the regimented lifestyle works for me. I respond well to boundaries! I hadn't heard of SML until I saw it in your details and decided to Google it, but I guess it's pretty much the same sort of thing. How have you found your first couple of days?

Hey all - some brilliant work going on here!! Hello Emily -meee toooo!! Just looking at your stats, sorry nosey - you are in almost exactly the same boat as me - am 5ft and 18st - oh dear. I have begun exante fun today. I know it does work, I lost two and a half stone in just under two months earlier in the year, then went on a mad binge when some bad stuff happened, cos that's what I do. But I am going to try not to. So, if you want a buddy? A x

Wow, looking at some of the successes from people here is so motivating! Well done to everyone having lost that much weight :)

I've got around twelve stone to lose so I'll be right beside you, and officially starting today :) I'm doing calorie counting as I need that little treat when I want it and I always feel a bit restricted when it comes to things WW and SW. Hope your first day went well!

Best of luck on your journey too, Rachools. I began with more than thirteen stone to lose and it can look a bit daunting from that view point! I've every faith that we'll both make it and may I say, you look really pretty in your profile pic! <3

Thank you! :) it's lovely to see that people are doing it and losing weight, it does seem really daunting but hopefully setting mini targets will help :) well done on your weightloss so far!

hi
emilyj
good luick on your journey we are all here to support you xx

Good luck - I have about the same to lose xx

Hey gorgeous girl!!!

Looks like we've both snuck back in at the same time after falling off the wagon last year (and for me the year before and the year before that lol!)

5 years ago I lost 7 stone in 14 months so I know we can do it, it's just tough at this beginning bit where it seems an uphill battle!!

I totally agree with what people have said about mini goals- why not aim to be 10lb down by the time the kids go back to school, 2 stone by Halloween etc. It really helps to keep you going. I've told OH I want to be 4 stone down by our holiday next year, but my mini goal at the moment is just to get through each day!

Anyway, don't feel like you're on your own- just yell on here or on fb if you're struggling or if you want a massive pat on the back!!!

FC xxx

Mini goals for the win! Sometimes it's easy to become sad about the amount of weight I had/have to lose, but celebrating tiny victories is amazing. I celebrate every time I drop a BMI number, drop into the next stone, drop into the next "ten" pounds (e.g. from 141 to 139), drop a kilo... which basically means I'm celebrating every week!

Mini goals for the win! Sometimes it's easy to become sad about the amount of weight I had/have to lose, but celebrating tiny victories is amazing. I celebrate every time I drop a BMI number, drop into the next stone, drop into the next "ten" pounds (e.g. from 141 to 139), drop a kilo... which basically means I'm celebrating every week!
hi CB
i agree that every pound we lose we should celebrate its a pound loss and its a step nearer to a healthier life
i now have very little goal and ones i know will be able to do not ones that are 4 ,5 months away
this week it was to start my L.S. 2 mile walking again monday to friday and any other walking i do is a bonus first day achieved x x x

Welcome and good luck EmilyJ.

Congratulations! Good for you, Chezz. I'm not au fait with a lot of weight loss lingo - what is "L.S." in your post?

hi CB
its leslie sansone she does a walking dvd 2 miles you can see her on you tube hun if you want a quick peek its not for everyone but i like her
hope you have had a good day hun x x

Back