Dealing with public situations

Hi

Im about to start Slim and Save. I previously did LL a few years ago (before meeting my husband) and although I got to goal I managed to put the weight on again, probably after getting to comfortable at home. Im determined to lose the weight and maintain it this time. Following the back to eating plan properly - unlike last time where I started doing my own thing at week 6 - which is why I believe my weight gain was my own fault and not that of LL.

I dont have the same bravery I had before with dealing with people on the outside. Im an auditor and I visit different clients on behalf of a major retailer. Im a contractor, so I build from my reputation as well. Sounds petty, but my reason for posting this is Im worried about finding a decent, viable reason to say to clients why Im bringing my own lunch and am not eating theirs. Which they usually would make a fuss over and bring in all sorts of senior managers to join you in lunching. Pretty much, the lunch is a good excuse for the site managers to get a free lunch in too, so, although it sounds daft perhaps, there is a big focus on it.

What can I say to let them know I have my own lunch and to stop their queries any further. I don't want to let anyone know Im doing this this time. Unlike last time when I told a lot of people and friends. Only DH knows this time.

I do have IBS and thought of using that, but I really don't know how. I audit food manufacturing sites, so I dont want people to think I have a potential issue being around their food manufacturing.

Perhaps Im making a mountain out of a molehill, but Im determined to 100% and want to feel Im fully equipped before I embark.

Thanks for all your advice in advance!
NP xx

How about just saying that you are on a medically restricted eating regime but you are happy to eat at the same time as everyone else?

I actually destroyed my stomach lining a few years back which is now repaired but no one knows that so I just tell people its still not fixed and the restricted diet stops me from processing food too quickly and lets my stomach heal. Use that one if you like! xx

Thanks so much weasey and needtoslim. That actually helps me a lot. But I also have to say that both your weight losses are also inspirational. Thank you.

From this Monday, I'm on a mission!
Xx

I start S&S tomorrow, so if you want to buddy up, that would be fab! I've lost about 2 st but it fluctuates so tomorrow is PROPER weigh in day and crack on!!!! :) xxxx

Hi needtoslim. That would be great to buddy up. You actually saved me from my thought today of 'one more day of last suppering' - I've been saying that for months. Doesn't get me anywhere. No time like the present. So tomorrow I will start too! YES WE CAN YES WE CAN! Lol xx

So.... Day 1! How are you doing so far?
I had a cup of tea when I woke up, plus so far 1 litre of water.
I've emasured my milk and it's in the fridge.
I contacted S&S and they say brussels sprouts are allowed and up to 700 ml of Coke Zero, so I've had a crispy choc shake for breakfast and am planning on spicy spaghetti for lunch, grilled cod, cauliflower and sprouts for dinner and a hot choc shake before bed.
I've been through my box of shakes etc and found I have many more meals than I expected as I ordered a sample pack as well as my own choice of 7 days,but apparently you can have more than one meal in a day, so if I have any seriously hungry days, thats the plan!
My house looks like a bomb hit it due to me working crazy hours, school hols, and my little boys birthday, so to get me through the first 3 days (When I did Cambridge, the first 3 were the hardest) as I just quit my job, I'm going to keep busy with cleaning like a loon!
xxx

Hi! Oh wow! What a day you had needtoslim!

Mine was very good indeed.
Like you, house needs sorting out, so to fill my 'danger time' getting home from work, I started sorting the house out. I found it easy with the lunch thing with the client today. In fact I was all ready for questions but there weren't any! Only if it was ok to bring the lunch in for them. I said no problem for that at all. The only thing was I've not drunk enough water today, onlyb1 litre. I did have 2 peppermint teas though, which I swear by for a nice morning drink.

Im so excited about how I will look in a few months time and I expect it's the same for you too.

I seem to have gone towards my LL days of 3 shakes and a bar a day. I've got some of the meals. My husband says the meal packs look like astronaut food. Lol. He's very supportive though, but a very bad comic. I love the crispy cereal shakes. The bar I had today-lemon, was lovely.

You've had a fantastic, very driven and focused first day! What is your strategy with preparing family meals? When I'm focused I can just block the idea out. The mind is such a powerful thing and as we know it can be done.

Roll on slim ladies!...pardon the pun. Lol.

N
x

Hi ninja!
It's great that we both had a good first day. Let's hope day 2 is as good!
Lots of cleaning and decluttering again for me tomorrow, plenty of water and I also wear a ki fit body monitor to make sure I'm burning plenty of cals!
To be honest, I've cheated with family meals. No one knows I'm on S&S so I've filled the freezer with lots of home cooked meals that I an just reheat, so no need for me to taste anything! LOL!
Have you got a target to aim for? I think I'm looking at 2 weeks initially and then see how I get on, as in 2 weeks, my stepdaughter will be home for the weekend, not sure if her husband will be with her, so my husband normally takes us all out for meals and I really don't see how I can get out of it! But if I'm getting good losses and confident I can continue, I'll maybe feign a dodgy tum or something!
Xxx

Sorry to jump in, hope you're both having a good day.

Re family meals, I have to cook for my husband and wee boy. Usually it's fine, on the tricky days I remind myself that yes, I could eat, but that wouldn't be my best weigh in. This 'diet' isn't forever and the food will still be there afterwards. Not like we're running out :0)

On the note about Brussel Sprouts, was there any change in the weight you were allowed?

Hi lexie!
Feel free to jump in anytime! :)
No, they didnt specify a different weight on the sprouts but I kept it to just a few with some cauliflower and broccoli. I had a piece of grilled chicken breast and then a teensy bit of veg water flavour (about a tablespoon and a half) which I drizzled over the veg so I didnt need salt.
I'll do the same tonight but with a piece of Cod fillet.
xx

Day 2 pretty much over now and still good to go. I'm in bed with a cup of tea and two and a half men. The two and a half men aren't literally in my bed you understand!
Just realised Thurs will be very tricky as will be leaving house at about 8am, not getting home until about 7pm with no cooking facilities at all. I can have something before I leave and take a bar but it's a long stretch between meals and then when I get home, I'll have about 20 mins before I have to leave again! And I'll have to be careful how much water I drink as for about 3 hrs I'll be nowhere near a loo!
Hope you've all had a good day.
Xxx

Hi ladies!

Oh dear. I fell off! Not angry or disillusioned. Back on the horse. No real excuses, just silly. I'm amazed how strong my mind is which I can do this quite easily. Self sabotage is silly really and so can be avoided. It's simple to make a yes or no decision. I'm back on and staying on. Lexie - you are so right, this isn't forever so what's the problem?!

We are going to London tomorrow - going to a professional make up class with my sister at the london academy and out with them later. I will see how it goes but I'm focused on sticking to my plan. I'm going to a big event end of November...not long to go, but determined to be slim by then. I'm off work on monday and I will do my sticky chart and log my stats etc. I'm quite a factual person so I like seeing the results in black and white.

Im inspired from the posts that I can out in my plan to do protein and veg tomorrow night.

Im really inspired by the positive posts and the enthusiasm. It's helping me stay so positive and excited to see the results.

Ive had some near misses in the past with the water drinking and no loo! I have a system of which say I know I'm going to be stuck for so long so I have a drinking cut off time - water. Once I had to stop in a layby near heathrow airport, a police car came up to see if driver was ok. I'd just had a desperado w e e behind a bush. Embarrassing. I'm sure they saw! Plus, the number of times I've been jiggling around in the car, finally reach the services and almost bulldoze people down to make it to the toilet in time. Amusing really.

My dress for November event will arrive any day now. It's a smaller size. I'll probably try it on every couple of weeks to stay focused on the event.

Xx

Hi needtoslim! Sorry! What a crazy few days. I have started proper today. Behind on my water but catching up slowly before the days out. I'm fully focused now. I even went to supermarket and didn't even think twice (had to get a new blouse for interview on Thursday).

How have you been doing? I need to figure ou how I do my sticky thing..... Now that I'm fully in this 100%

The mixed fruit flavour is rather nice....enjoying a glass right now!

I bet you have fully spring- cleaned the whole house now!

Ive got family dinner on Saturday evening and I've already told my husband that I'm planning a 'poorly tummy', so I'll be at the table drinking water. I don't want to tell the family the moment. They went through all this with me when I did LL.

Xx

Hello all,

Sorry to intrude but I'm having exactly the same conundrum at the moment! I'm an operations and training manager primarily in the catering and restaurant sector and it may sound conceited but there isn't any weakness you want to project sometimes and I agree with ninjaprincess sometimes people put on lunch - argggh! I've got a big meetin Thursday then it's meant to be a team/new client drinks afterwards and I'm totally flummoxed with how to approach it! It's like the feeling of knowing you had a test at school and wanting to phone in 'ill' but I think I'm a bit too mature for that now! On a positive note I work away from home sodon't have to worry to much about food envy at the OHs plate and the diet fits in brilliantly for being on the go so far (I'm only 1st week).

Hi Victorian151. WELCOME. Firstly, yes, I changed programmes. Didn't have a taste for the flavours....anyway, that's another story.

I hope week 1 is going well for you.

If its just drinks on Thursday you can easily go with the water -sparkling if you are feeling wild! Lol. Could you go to your car to have a shake? I recalled from my LL days that sometimes if it was more of a stand up buffet, during a conference you could either pick a plate up, put a couple bits on it, break it up etc, not eat it of course and hold it while talking, then put it down. No one will notice you havent actually eaten it. It works.

My future BIL made a good point on Saturday (told my sister and him), he said to just tell them I'm on a "health kick for medical reasons", end of story, not their business and I'm not really wanting to discuss more. Does that help at all? It's always tricky because this is your thing and none of their business, but as soon as you mention vlcd's everyone has an opinion and feels they need to tell it to you. Good luck for Thursday! Xx

Along this vein, how do people cope when going to the pub with friends - we go regularly every sunday and worried about how it will go - they are my friends but do have strong opinions.

Hi I am wondering if I can join you too? I am back.... after a break = unhealthy, unhappy, self sabotaging time and need to focus on getting through to the end of s and s and being back to a happy, healthy weight!

I am off to stay with a friend next week and have told her that I am going to be on a special diet and will cater for myself whilst I am staying with her!!

Any ideas of how to do the sticky thing?

Good luck and keep on drinking....

Lucylu x

Hi lucylu! Good for you! You stick with it. I'm kinda stubborn so it works well with vlcd, once I'm in the zone. I went to audit a yummy food making place today and I stuck to it (Just started again on a different vlcd, didn't like taste of packs- and stupidly 'last suppered, not worth it....don't do it).

I look at everyone as a sabotage freak, so it gets me through with my stubbornness. You will feel amazing when you stick to your guns next week, on plan.

Sticky I got on ticker factory. Then once it gives you a link you can copy and paste it into you signature. I'm not explaining very well, but give it a try and if you are stuck, I'm sure the more technically able mini mins can help :) . Good luck next week! X

Back