Decent Article on Sugar Alcohols

J2BLUE

Low Carber
Are Sugar Alcohols Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Above is an article by Mark Sisson on sugar alcohols. I thought i'd post it as collectively sugar alcohols seem to be the one aspect we struggle with most.

Mark is a paleo lifestyle guy who goes to extremes sometimes. He recently challenged his subscribers to go a regular day (not staying in) without wearing shoes...which made me question his sanity but with food and exercise he's a very knowledgeable guy. The article doesn't list many but maltitol is what they seem to pump everything with so might be interested.

Erythritol is the sugar alcohol in Choco Perfection bars so that might also interest some.

Dying to read this, as I have a real problem with polyols and need something to put me off them forever, but masterchef is just about to start so will do it later. ;) Thanks James. :)

Most most most interesting, thanks J. Must look out for the choco perfection bars now. Are they like a proper sweet chocolate bar in your opinion? And is there a definite, er, absence of tummy side-effects??? :eek:

They are fairly sweet and decent tasting. It's not a like for like replacement for Cadbury though lol. It's more like proper grown up European chocolate! Texture is also a bit different. It's not really melt in your mouth (it did once I had a sip of tea...).

No side effects :D

Thanks - really useful!

Very good article thanks for sharing.

Hi ya, yes thank you for sharing the article. I am well interested in the issues raised and have just tested my blood sugars to see if I have just spiked after eating 3 sugar free chocolates, up by 0.2 so not too bad I think xx

Cheers J, good read that.

ah... now i know what sugar alcohols are....i was just bluffing before when you were all talking about them!
cheers!
i've been avoiding foods with that stuff in, always have, sounds too artificial to me, i like real food.

Back