Depo hindering weight loss?

nannis

Silver Member
Hi all, I just wanted to ask if anyone else who Uses/has used the deprovera contraceptive injection had trouble losing weight while on it?
Ive used the depo before and had no bleeding or weight gain. Had my daughter in December and as I got pregnant on the pill and amnover weight my contraceptive options are fairly limited- but ive been told im not to have anymore children due to bad heamorraging (sp) ( i lost 4 litres of blood due to placenta acreta)
Anyway after having dd I was a stone heavier than pre preg. That stone came off a couple of weeks after birth so I was really pleased that I could start from where I left off before pregnancy.
I had the depo at my 6 weeks check and am having it every ten weeks due to be overweight. I have experienced constant bleeding for 20 weeks now and am feeling awful on it.
I began sw 5 weeks ago and am sticking religiously to the diet and getting exercise, but am yet to see 'big losses' as I have previously with ww.
My hubby is losing really well so I know sw works and I have lost 16lbs and wi tommorow so am doing well but have always experienced bigger losses when first starting a diet- i dont want to sound ungrateful because im really pleased with what I have done so far, but with a 1lb loss last week and a sneeky peek showing the same sort of loss for this week I wonder of the depo is hindering me a bit? Previously I have had constant 3-5 lb losses for the first few months. Forgot to mention that I regained the stone within 5 Weeks of beingnon the depo but wasnt being atall good so could have been my own fault!
Im going to come off the depo and suppose I will just have to try the mini pill again and hope It works- it had worked for beat part of 10 years but i took some sy johns wort and wonder if thats why I fell pregnant?
Hope that all makes sense and I dont sound like a complete moany mimper lol
Anna :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

So sorry for spelling mistakes, my fat fimgers dont fair well with a touch screen keyboard lol

The depo is notorious for weight gain and then hindering weight loss, personally I gained a stone and a half on it when I was 17, and had previously only been 9 1/2 stone, gained it in a matter of a month or so! St John's wort can decrease the effectivness of the pill by up to 50% so if you had been taking the pill for ten years and then fell pregnant I would consider that a pretty likely cause of pregnancy :) If you decide to go back to the pill remember that the depo will still take a while to leave your system (possibly several months) so your weight losses might not improve straight away!
Best of luck, and 16lbs in 5 weeks is pretty impressive so don't be disheartened xxx

Hehe abstinance has been present for a few months now anyway, overtired mummy syndrome :D
I have informed dh that all this would be solved with a quick snip but he's yet to give in!!

charlies_mummy said:
The depo is notorious for weight gain and then hindering weight loss, personally I gained a stone and a half on it when I was 17, and had previously only been 9 1/2 stone, gained it in a matter of a month or so! St John's wort can decrease the effectivness of the pill by up to 50% so if you had been taking the pill for ten years and then fell pregnant I would consider that a pretty likely cause of pregnancy :) If you decide to go back to the pill remember that the depo will still take a while to leave your system (possibly several months) so your weight losses might not improve straight away!
Best of luck, and 16lbs in 5 weeks is pretty impressive so don't be disheartened xxx

Thanks :) I never knew that about stnjohns wory until the midwife said! It was funny as we already had a 10 year old and had just made a firm decsision that we both were happy with one and were defo not going to have anymore children- only to find out 4 weeks later that I was 6 weeks pregnant lol And gave birth to our little angel just before xmas :D

Depo runs out on 21st so will try the pill and hopefully get my hormones sorted in a hurry!

Hehe abstinance has been present for a few months now anyway, overtired mummy syndrome :D
I have informed dh that all this would be solved with a quick snip but he's yet to give in!!

my hubby refuses to do this. so selfish.

I agree, go back on the mini pill, I didn't like depo.
My son was concieved when I was on the pill because no one told me st johns stopped it being effective! Mum told me after I told her I was preg, was a bit late by then! x x

tara40 said:
my hubby refuses to do this. so selfish.

Yes I keep telling him that, but he said my making snipping noises at him whenever I mention it puts him off lmao
I just wish it was as simple for me to get sterilised but due to my weight im a general anasthetic (sp) no no atm! Plus they have told me they wont go near my womb for a year at least!

daisykins said:
I agree, go back on the mini pill, I didn't like depo.
My son was concieved when I was on the pill because no one told me st johns stopped it being effective! Mum told me after I told her I was preg, was a bit late by then! x x

Im shocked ar the amount of pill failures due to st johns wort, I only took them for a couple of weeks and figured they are herbal so would be fine lol

Depo had absolutely no impact for me as far as I can tell, I was already on it when I started SW so didnt have a stage when I might have noticed losses slowing down, but when I stopped taking it and went onto pill i didnt notice any change, and when I stopped the pill (TTC at the mo) still didnt notice any change.

But different people react differently so that doesnt mean its the same for everyone.

Yes I keep telling him that, but he said my making snipping noises at him whenever I mention it puts him off lmao
I just wish it was as simple for me to get sterilised but due to my weight im a general anasthetic (sp) no no atm! Plus they have told me they wont go near my womb for a year at least!

Hilarious, snipping noises. nearly choked on my apple.

nannis said:
Im shocked ar the amount of pill failures due to st johns wort, I only took them for a couple of weeks and figured they are herbal so would be fine lol

St Johns Wort is one of the few things that affects all types of contraception - including the implant. Which, btw, have you considered?

Hey, i had the injection a few years ago and nothing else in my life changed but over the course of 3 injections i put on over two stone! I changed to the contraceptive implant after that and although some of the weight came off naturally that bloody injection had done its damaged. I would change to the implant, its just like a big injection getting it in and thats you set for three years! Oh and the mini pill talk about dangerous with its three hour window!

Hey, i had the injection a few years ago and nothing else in my life changed but over the course of 3 injections i put on over two stone! I changed to the contraceptive implant after that and although some of the weight came off naturally that bloody injection had done its damaged. I would change to the implant, its just like a big injection getting it in and thats you set for three years! Oh and the mini pill talk about dangerous with its three hour window!

Where do they put the implant. i have the mirena coil and that is there for 5 years. It was okay the first one going in, but when they replaced it they put a new one in at the same time and that was really uncomfortable.

Where do they put the implant. i have the mirena coil and that is there for 5 years. It was okay the first one going in, but when they replaced it they put a new one in at the same time and that was really uncomfortable.

It goes in the top inside part of your arm just above the crease where you bend it. I am nearly at the end of my second one. It feels a bit strange for the first day or two as you feel it when you bend your arm but after that you dont even notice its there. Oh and no periods, joyous!

Hi, I have been on Depo for two years and found that it does not effect weight loss, I recently lost 5lbs in one week and that was not even my first weight loss. I did speak to my nurse about this and she told me that it increases cravings but that is it, I always try and reach for sf food when feeling like this. Also in regards to the implant I personally had a bad reaction but would also stay well away from it after the recent problems: BBC News - Implanon: 600 pregnancies despite contraceptive implant best of luck xx

I started having the injection around 18 months ago, and I think it was partly (probably only a little bit) responsible for me putting on some weight. Although I have always been big I did get up to the biggest I have ever been. I have lost 2 stone over the last year though, and so yes my weight loss has been slow and the injection could have something to do with this...

However!! I suffered with terrible period all my life, very heavy, very painful- As soon as I started the injection this stopped. I haven't had a period for 18 months, I don't get any cramps or symptoms, my mood have stabilised dramatically (when I was on the pill I was so up and down). So for me yes maybe it has been a little culprit in some weight gain.. along with the terrible eating habits and lack of exercise... but the other benefits it has for me way out weigh them!

I guess it it different for everybody, but the injection has been a life saver for me in a lot of ways :)

I put on 2 stone while on depo, whilst following SW. It did take a couple of years. The nurse told me it won't mske you put on weight but can seriously hinder weight loss. And actually, I only put on weight when you would expect to, holidays, weekends away, birthdays etc. The difference ws, instead of it coming straight back off whenI went back on plan after an event, it didn't shift. So, obviously, gradually, the weight piled on! I hate the thing, and they warn you of nothing. It took 18 months for my cycle to start again. So glad I wasn't trying for a baby!

i gained 3 stone over 2 yrs whilst on the depo - but could have changed my appetite or metabolic rate or thyroid who knows. I dont take anything now My hormones have never been the same since.
Had trouble concieving after coming off it and had to have fertility treatment. Diagnosed with pcos too and have used no contraception for 9 yrs. I was regular as clockwork before the depo.

Back