Desparately wanting to lose weight - lostinarnia's diary

lostinarnia

Hello All,

I am a returning newbie to the forums, when I joined before I spent a lot of time in this part of the forum because it is full of kind and supportive people and from what I have read it hasn't changed :)

I left the forum (or rather I gradually stopped using it) because a lot of other stuff was going on and I couldn't focus on loosing weight, anyway I have realised that I can't keep living in this state of denial and I am going to loose this weight whether I like it or not!

I don't know what I weigh but I am ashamed to say that it is probably around 30st :cry:

I have set myself some goals which I would like to share below -

Join the Minimims forum and make regular posts and not just lurk - I am aiming to post in this diary at least once a week and offer support to others (if wanted) regularly
Buy some suitable scales - I have found some amazon which I think will be suitable, I am hoping to get them when I get paid again
Get weighed - I think that this is what is stressing me out the most but I guess it will only go downwards right
Research daily allowance / recommended intake of foods - I know embarrassingly little about good nutrition, I only learnt recently what types of fish were oily and that it is recommended to eat at least two portions a week
Sort out foods - I work odd shifts so I have decided to batch cook all of my meals (according to the recommended intake of foods), also I am quite lazy and I think it will be good for me to have dishes that I can put in the microwave and not think about it anymore
Research types of exercises - I know that there are exercises that can be done in an armchair and I bought myself a resistance band off eBay to build up my strength and test myself as to how far I can walk (a local bus service goes for about a mile and a half - I know that I wont be able to walk that far but it is straight and I can get the bus home if I need to!)
Measure how much water I am currently drinking - I don't think that I am drinking the recommended eight glasses of water but hey I guess I will see!

Anyway I guess I will stop there, I think I will go and explore the board some more! :)

lostinarnia xx

hi lost
glad to see you have come back love and well done on making the changes in your life i to went away from here gained loads and now back to make a difference this year will be here to support you all the way love x x

Hi! I love the honesty of your post, and I also love the to-do list! There are women on here who have a wealth of knowledge and they've made me feel so welcome and I am sure everyone will answer any questions that you have. You sound like you know your plan of attack and that's great. Don't be ashamed of your weight though - sure it's something you want to change - but appreciate the person inside that has the strength and courage to open up that they have an eating problem but you are now ready to sort it out.

Look forward to getting to know a little more and supporting each other on our journeys.
Essie x

Hi

that looks like a great to do list, so u know ur head is in the right place to start your journey. Bulk cooking is a great plan, I made a huge pot of soup today and froze 5 portions for lunches. I'm like you, I'm so lazy about it all that I have made sure I have no quick fix bad munchies in my cupboard so I need to be organised or starve lol.

Dont feel ashamed, you are taking a positive step to change your weight and that number is going down so don't let it scare you. So once you get your scales bite the bullet and then at least you know what your dealing with, and no 1 here will judge you, we r all in the same boat.

good luck x

Hello Lostinarnia (great user name!) Well done on coming back to minimins and on your list which all looks very achievable.

Batch cooking is really helpful and I do it a lot too. Even if I just make an ordinary meal I make enough for three portions as I'm feeding two and freeze one and it gets me slightly ahead

Don't be ashamed of your weight though - sure it's something you want to change - but appreciate the person inside that has the strength and courage to open up that they have an eating problem but you are now ready to sort it out.

Dont feel ashamed, you are taking a positive step to change your weight and that number is going down so don't let it scare you. So once you get your scales bite the bullet and then at least you know what your dealing with, and no 1 here will judge you, we r all in the same boat.x

Hi Lost - and I completely echo what Essie and Purplestar say, they are spot on - strength, courage, positivity - you've got it all to help you in your weight loss journey. And we'll be here, every step of the way, as much as you want us :)

Hello all,

Thank you so so much for all of your kind replies, I am so overwhelmed but in a good way though! :)

I wanted to reply to you all individually now that I know how work the multi - quote!

(I apologise for the lateness in my reply though)

hi lost
glad to see you have come back love and well done on making the changes in your life i to went away from here gained loads and now back to make a difference this year will be here to support you all the way love x x

Hello chezz,

Thank you so much for your kind words I so appreciate them - I am glad that you found your way back here and I hope that I can offer you support where it is ok to do so. Also I hope it is ok to say I love the quote in your signature very inspirational it reminds me of the quote "nothing tastes as good as being slim feels".

lostinarnia xx

Hi! I love the honesty of your post, and I also love the to-do list! There are women on here who have a wealth of knowledge and they've made me feel so welcome and I am sure everyone will answer any questions that you have. You sound like you know your plan of attack and that's great. Don't be ashamed of your weight though - sure it's something you want to change - but appreciate the person inside that has the strength and courage to open up that they have an eating problem but you are now ready to sort it out.

Look forward to getting to know a little more and supporting each other on our journeys.
Essie x

Hello Essie,

Thank you for your kind words, I have explored the board and everyone is so supportive and I feel very welcome here. I really appreciate your kind words it is hard not to feel the shame but things are going to change now! I hope that it is ok to say congratulations to you on achieving your first goal what a wonderful achievement!

:winner:

lostinarnia xx

Hi

that looks like a great to do list, so u know ur head is in the right place to start your journey. Bulk cooking is a great plan, I made a huge pot of soup today and froze 5 portions for lunches. I'm like you, I'm so lazy about it all that I have made sure I have no quick fix bad munchies in my cupboard so I need to be organised or starve lol.

Dont feel ashamed, you are taking a positive step to change your weight and that number is going down so don't let it scare you. So once you get your scales bite the bullet and then at least you know what your dealing with, and no 1 here will judge you, we r all in the same boat.

good luck x

Hello Purplestar87,

Thank you - to be honest I do like a good list it feeds my need to organise and colour coordinate! Oooo I have not thought of batch cooking soup, I think that I will have a look for some recipes online! Regarding stepping on the scales I am feeling a little more confident - I have a number in mind and I have prepared for it to be more so hopefully it wont be a shock to me!

Wishing you good luck to!

lostinarnia xx

Hello Lostinarnia (great user name!) Well done on coming back to minimins and on your list which all looks very achievable.

Batch cooking is really helpful and I do it a lot too. Even if I just make an ordinary meal I make enough for three portions as I'm feeding two and freeze one and it gets me slightly ahead

Hello snowbryneich,

Thank you for your compliment! That is a great tip to make extra meals saves time! I hope that it is ok to say congratulations on all of your achievements I was awe looking at your signature!

:winner:

lostinarnia xx

Hi Lost - and I completely echo what Essie and Purplestar say, they are spot on - strength, courage, positivity - you've got it all to help you in your weight loss journey. And we'll be here, every step of the way, as much as you want us :)

Hello Susie,

Thank you so much, I am glad that I joined again! You are wonderful!

lostinarnia xx

Right I have got a couple of hours so I am going to explore some more and hopefully find all of your diaries to subscribe to! :)

lostinarnia xx

Hello All,

I am a returning newbie to the forums, when I joined before I spent a lot of time in this part of the forum because it is full of kind and supportive people and from what I have read it hasn't changed :)

I left the forum (or rather I gradually stopped using it) because a lot of other stuff was going on and I couldn't focus on loosing weight, anyway I have realised that I can't keep living in this state of denial and I am going to loose this weight whether I like it or not!

I don't know what I weigh but I am ashamed to say that it is probably around 30st :cry:

I have set myself some goals which I would like to share below -

Join the Minimims forum and make regular posts and not just lurk - I am aiming to post in this diary at least once a week and offer support to others (if wanted) regularly
Buy some suitable scales - I have found some amazon which I think will be suitable, I am hoping to get them when I get paid again
Get weighed - I think that this is what is stressing me out the most but I guess it will only go downwards right
Research daily allowance / recommended intake of foods - I know embarrassingly little about good nutrition, I only learnt recently what types of fish were oily and that it is recommended to eat at least two portions a week
Sort out foods - I work odd shifts so I have decided to batch cook all of my meals (according to the recommended intake of foods), also I am quite lazy and I think it will be good for me to have dishes that I can put in the microwave and not think about it anymore
Research types of exercises - I know that there are exercises that can be done in an armchair and I bought myself a resistance band off eBay to build up my strength and test myself as to how far I can walk (a local bus service goes for about a mile and a half - I know that I wont be able to walk that far but it is straight and I can get the bus home if I need to!)
Measure how much water I am currently drinking - I don't think that I am drinking the recommended eight glasses of water but hey I guess I will see!

Anyway I guess I will stop there, I think I will go and explore the board some more! :)

lostinarnia xx

Hello all,

I thought that I should post a quick update on my progress -

I am getting over the fear of getting weighed I have got a worst case scenario in my mind but I am going to try and take whatever I weigh as a number which will be going every time I step on them! I get paid on the 27th February so I will be making an amazon order then!

I have researched the recommended daily intake and I now have a better idea of what I should be eating, in doing this I found a BMI calculator on the NHS website which also calculates the suggest calorie intake - I am going to go back on the site when I have a more accurate idea of my weight and height (need to find a tape measure to)!

I have started looking at different foods that I can take to work and things that I can grab that last a while and that don't need any preparation.

I haven't done the walk along the seafront yet (it has been to cold and I can't be out in the windy weather for to long because my skin is super sensitive), I am going to do it when it is warmer though. I have found some armchair exercises that I will do when I am watching Eastenders!

I am drinking between 1.5 - 2 litres a day which is pretty good and better than I thought. I am back to work tomorrow and my job involves some physical activity so will need to measure how much I drink then!

Right I am definitely off to explore now! :)

lostinarnia xx

Hi, it sounds like your head in definitely in the game. Remember the number on the scales doesn't change anything. You weigh the same before you get on them, just next week you'll be able to see that number come down. I really regret not weighing myself that first week.

A little note about the NHS bmi calculator. As far as I can see that recommended calorie intake guide is the amount of calories you need to REMAIN that weight. So, if you take that number and subtract 500 cals per day for a 1lb per week loss, or 1000cals per day for a 2lb per week loss, you should be good to go. I always put my activity level at 'sedentary' so it gives you an accurate estimate of what your basic needs are. For example, to maintain my weight I need 2650cals. If I eat 1650cals per day I can expect a 2lb weight loss. If I am active I don't add calories to my allowance, although I could if I wanted to.

My Fitness Pal dot com is a good way to customise and keep a track of your weight loss. I know a lot of people use it here.
As you lose weight it recalculates what your calorie allowance should be depending on the rate you want to lose. You can also track what caloroes deficit you've created over the week and if you want to have a good treat you can work it in guilt free.

Good luck!

Hello Essie,

Thank you again for your wise words! :)

Thank you also for your advice about NHS bmi calculator, I hadn't factored that in. I have heard of My Fitness Pal so I will go and check it out!

lostinarnia xx

Well done Lost you are off to a great start, love! :)

And while you might have tricky moments in this great journey, nothing will be as challenging as making the decision to start - you are a champion, and you're taking the first steps towards control :D

So are you doing calorie counting? There are loads of people here doing that, especially our Tracy (Gill), who has lost 9 stone + by calorie counting :)

Hello Susie,

Thank you! :)

I am indeed doing calorie counting, apologies I thought that I had mentioned it already - brain like a sieve!

lostinarnia xx

Hello! Thought I would pop in to your feed and subscribe.

You sound like your in a great place. Good luck! Xxx

Big goal - 35lb in 35 weeks
1st mini goal - 8.5 by Feb 11th DONE!!!

Weigh-in day Tuesday
Week 1-4 - 10.5lb gone

My fitness pal is also really handy in that you can update your weight as you go and it will adjust the amount of calories you need so it reduces as you lose weight for you. I use it to log my food as I hate writing stuff down even though I am doing SW rather than calorie counting. You can add friend on that to support you too which is handy.

Hello again all,

Thank you again for all of your support! :)

What I had planned to be a couple of hours has been the afternoon and evening - whoops!

I forgot to say earlier that I had a really nice late breakfast earlier (2x shredded wheat biscuits, 8 grapes, 5 strawberries, 1 plum and a large banana) I could get used to this healthy lifestyle stuff!

I haven't been to look at My Fitness Pal yet, will probably do that tomorrow now as I need to get my assignment done and sent in (so glad it is all online)!

Night all!

lostinarnia xx

Hi...just wanted to post to subscribe :)
Thank you for your supportive comments in my intro post!
I really liked your first post...as others have said it was so honest.
I hope that you get your assignment done ok :) xx

Hello all,

I am drinking between 1.5 - 2 litres a day which is pretty good and better than I thought. I am back to work tomorrow and my job involves some physical activity so will need to measure how much I drink then!

Right I am definitely off to explore now! :)

lostinarnia xx

Hi lostinarnia, here to sub. ...your plans look good, I think it always helps to gave goals in mind whether specifically weight related or not.

I would probably suggest that you need to be drinking more water/fluid daily. ...you can find out more info online or use an app to track intake. ..I use one called water your body and am aiming for around 2.8-3L per day and more on exercise days. O find it really helps with my losses although it was hard to drink that much at first!

Becky x

Hi :)

I'm back again on my weight loss journey.
I seem to be following you round the forums lol, posting after you, so thought I'd post here and say hi.

Back