Desperate to succeed with 6 stone weight loss but worried about excess skin.

Pootle

Silver Member
Can anyone out the who has achieved their goal and lost a lot of stones tell me if they have a problem with excess skin?
I already have an overhanging flabby tummy and am hoping that it will go when I lose weight but I've seen and heard of so many weight loss stories where people are left with masses of excess skin.
I've been overweight for about 18 years so my skin is probably used to being this big.

I have lost and gained over seven stone a couple of times over the last decade but thanfully my skin has been very forgiving and I hope it will again.

I drink a lot of water, I make sure I eat enough protein, I moisturise and stay out of the sun...saying all that my mother had lovely skin...yet, I still worry about it as I wonder will I get away with it again? My body probably can only take so much abuse.

I have lost my weight on Lipotrim each time.

I do feel it is important to get enough protein and water.

I do light weights and walking to keep toned.

Hopefully we will be okay:)

I need to get motivated to exercise. A work colleague lost a couple of stone last year on SW, really quickly too but she started running as well so that probably helped speed things up a bit.

I have lost and gained over seven stone a couple of times over the last decade but thanfully my skin has been very forgiving and I hope it will again.

I drink a lot of water, I make sure I eat enough protein, I moisturise and stay out of the sun...saying all that my mother had lovely skin...yet, I still worry about it as I wonder will I get away with it again? My body probably can only take so much abuse.
That's what I'm worried about...have lost weight and put it back on so many times over the years, I think my body just thinks stuff it, I'll be fat!
I've never lost it all though, only about 2 1/2 stone of it. Just put a bit more back on each time.
Have I stretched my skin beyond repair? Now I'm 40 I wonder if it is as elastic as it was when I was younger.

Exercise does help and I find I just feel so much better in myself. I have never felt fit enough to do running apart from the odd spurt.

That's what I'm worried about...have lost weight and put it back on so many times over the years, I think my body just thinks stuff it, I'll be fat!
I've never lost it all though, only about 2 1/2 stone of it. Just put a bit more back on each time.
Have I stretched my skin beyond repair? Now I'm 40 I wonder if it is as elastic as it was when I was younger.
I do think that the body has a default stting as I seem to gain back to my heightest weight.

The majority of losers tend to be very happy with their skin...it does take time to shrink...I think it is two to three months for every stone lost. I have seen members over the years reporting back it took even longer but were happy with the outcome.

Try not to worry. This is what I say to myself:)

I'm not at target but have lost 7.5 stones so far and haven't had a problem with excess skin, because it is a slow journey rather than it all disappearing in one go. My motto has been that I didn't get to my starting size overnight so I won't be at my ideal size overnight either. :)

Hi Storm, well done on your weight loss so far, that is an amazing achievement! How long has it taken you and which plan have you been following?
Good to hear excess skin hasn't been a problem for you, maybe there's hope for me too?

I'm not at target but have lost 7.5 stones so far and haven't had a problem with excess skin, because it is a slow journey rather than it all disappearing in one go. My motto has been that I didn't get to my starting size overnight so I won't be at my ideal size overnight either. :)

Great motto to live by xx

Great motto to live by xx

Hi Storm, well done on your weight loss so far, that is an amazing achievement! How long has it taken you and which plan have you been following?
Good to hear excess skin hasn't been a problem for you, maybe there's hope for me too?
Thank you! I definitely think it won't be a problem; excess skin only really occurs for people that lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time so their body doesn't have time to catch up. SW has been a rollercoaster of up and down so lots of chance to catch up!

I joined SW on 23rd June 2014, so I've been at it for 1.5 years now. :)

I lost 3.5 st previously so not a really huge amount, but skin was fine. I think the other way to look at it though, is the health benefits of being slimmer, even if your skin wasn't as perfect as you'd like at the end of it. Plus there are always options for dealin with that although not sure if you can still have it done on NHS. But overall I think the benefit of losing 7st has to outweigh (pardon the pun) the risk of loose skin xx

Apparently a lot of it will depend on the elasticity of your skin, which is genetic so out of our hands really.

But if you lose at a steady weigh and keep your skin hydrated and moisturised then you are doing about all you can to help yourself. Strength training and keeping a high amount of protein in your diet will help retain your lean muscle mass as you lose weight which helps with "shaping" your body.

Thanks everyone, you've put my mind at rest a bit. Not that I want to stay fat but I am worried about having loads of baggy skin.
If I look at it this way...at least if I'm thinking ahead to target, I might make it this time!
I took my 'before' photos this morning, in all their hideous glory. I found myself thinking, do I really look that big to everyone else? Still, at least I'm doing something about it now.

Hi Pootle, I've got about 6 stone to lose too and am also worried about excess skin. I always assumed it would be ok, but I noticed that with the last stone or two that I put on that my body has changed a lot (overhanging tummy, flabby arms etc) and I'm worried I have passed some invisible line and will not be able to reverse it. I guess we won't really know until we begin to lose the weight, so I'm trying to focus on the health benefits and not think about it too much. Plus swimming, lots of swimming, as I've heard it is the best for all over toning.

Hi, yes, that's why I'm worried. I've been this heavy before and I didn't have an overhanging tummy but I have this time which is why I'm worried that it'll be an apron of loose skin when the weight is gone which no amount of sit ups will fix. Perhaps I should get myself to a swimming pool.

Last edited:
Agree with Moon Gazer, it is mostly genetic so there's no sense in worrying about it. Again as she said, keeping hydrated (inside and out) and weight bearing exercise may help, and are good habits anyway, but there's not that much that can be done to prevent.

But FWIW, I dropped 7 dress sizes over a decade ago (wasn't weighing myself at the time so can't tell you how many stones that was) with no skin issues.

Back