Desperatley unhappy. Can anyone give me advice.

I am 24 and getting bigger and bigger. I go through phases of feeling really motivated but it goes away very quickly.

I joined SW and put 1.5lb on despite exercising and eating well.

I have no energy and can't even walk far anymore. I just want to sleep.

I am waiting on blood results to see if it is a health issue. I am just so depressed that my eating is terrible.

Has anyone else felt this way and come out of it? How did you do it?

I'm sorry for the depressing post, I'm just at my wits end :(

Hi

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I have felt depressed before, when I was at my biggest (size 18/20). I knew I was overweight and felt horrible. It took a hideous photo of myself at a friends wedding to kick start me into action. I had tried so many times before and failed. So I joined SW and set myself mini targets - that's the best advice I can give - you might find it hard to start with, but can you set yourself little goals to work towards to try and keep you on the wagon and keep your motivation up? So, for example, a wedding or a birthday, or a particular outfit you want to wear? That has really kept me going, and when I find that my motivation is slipping, I think about how I want to look at my next mini goal....Another thing I do is make sure I have little pots of fruit cut up (melon, mango etc) so that if I ever have a bad day and fancy something really bit naughty, I can reach for the fruit instead of the bucket of Ben & Jerry's!!

Also, in terms of the gain, take a step back and check that you are doing everything correctly in terms of what you are eating. It can take a few weeks to get into the swing of SW. If you are exercising more than before, that could be another reason for your small gain - lots of people on here seem to gain when they first start exercising, or increase their exercise, but then see a good loss in the following weeks.

Try not to be disheartened, you have taken a massive first step in the right direction by signing up to SW, and the main thing is to keep going. Hopefully your tests will confirm whether there are any underlying health issues as well.

Hi Craftypants.
Welcome to SW and this great forum, we are on the same journey so come and join us.Take a look through the recipes on this forum, there is a great choice! My advice is write a weekly menu, stick to it and write down everything you eat, the Consultant can then tell you what's good or bad about your eating and also in the future you can see which weeks were good for you.
Someone told me , exercise= inches, food= weight and for me that's correct, so go for it, if you get stuck ask we will help if possible.Pete

Agree with the above it really takes a bit of time to get into the diet. I just looked at as many posts on here as I could when I started and have found it so much more helpful than class and has definitely kept me on track whereas in the past I have given up too easily. Maybe post a diary of what you ate over the week you gained and ask for people to have a look at it and give you pointers to where you could make changes (if any). If you didn't keep a diary then I would suggest you give it a go, it's been another big part of my SW journey and 7 weeks on I still log absolutely everything I eat on a diary app on my phone. It just means I don't forget anything. Also it has helped me on the weeks when my losses haven't been as good, I have been able to look back and see where I need to make changes. I hope you don't give up especially if you are feeling so low. Sometimes it's such a catch 22 where you feel low because of weight problems then eat and feel worse and it just goes round and round. There are lots of helpful and supportive people on here who have been in a similar place to you so keep posting. Sometimes the weight loss doesn't register immediately and can take a couple of weeks to kick in so don't give up on us just yet. Good luck

craftypants said:
I am 24 and getting bigger and bigger. I go through phases of feeling really motivated but it goes away very quickly.

I am waiting on blood results to see if it is a health issue. I am just so depressed that my eating is terrible.

I struggled before i started sw and at the beginning with lack of energy
I hated excercise and was so tired i would nap all the time once i upped my excercise after a few weeks i got more and more energy also if you are struggling diet red bull are syn Free they helped me

Welcome to SW as people have said before you have made the biggest step joining up now trust in the plan. Read every post you can on here it helps me loads. Even after doing SW for over a yr now (3rd time round) I'm still learning! Good luck and if you need help ask. X

Hi there.
I joined SW 4 years ago weighing 23st 4.5lb. I was a size 28/30 and so heavy I couldn't walk far without my hips aching. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without my heart palpitating. I hated looking at myself in the mirror and was tired and depressed. I joined SW not expecting a huge amount if I'm honest. I thought I'd probably lose a few pounds if I was lucky but didn't really hold out much hope. I guess I'd got to the stage where I'd almost given up on myself. But I joined anyway and thought what have I got to lose. It took a bit of time for the plan to stick in my head and for me to stop craving eating the huge amounts of crap id been used to, but I made sure I had something nice to eat every day, used up all my syns and gradually retrained myself to eat better. I still eat loads now, just all of the right stuff! Gradually my weight started to drop and I started to feel better. It took a long long time for anyone to notice I was
Losing weight but once the compliments started that was also a huge incentive! These days I'm a size 16, have lost 9stones 9lb and feel so much better. I still want to lose another 2.5st, but I know I'll get there. I guess all I wanted to say really was - I feel your pain. I know how it feels when you're miserable about your weight and you're tired and fed up and wonder if things can ever be better. I'm here to tell you - they can. Make yourself meals you'll actually look forward to. Use all your syns. Adapt your favourite meals to be SW friendly. And I know it sounds like hard work, but when you feel ready, take up some exercise. All that stuff they say about endorphins is true. Most importantly stick with it. And I promise, eventually you'll get there. Good luck lovely xx

Hi there.
I joined SW 4 years ago weighing 23st 4.5lb. I was a size 28/30 and so heavy I couldn't walk far without my hips aching. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without my heart palpitating. I hated looking at myself in the mirror and was tired and depressed. I joined SW not expecting a huge amount if I'm honest. I thought I'd probably lose a few pounds if I was lucky but didn't really hold out much hope. I guess I'd got to the stage where I'd almost given up on myself. But I joined anyway and thought what have I got to lose. It took a bit of time for the plan to stick in my head and for me to stop craving eating the huge amounts of crap id been used to, but I made sure I had something nice to eat every day, used up all my syns and gradually retrained myself to eat better. I still eat loads now, just all of the right stuff! Gradually my weight started to drop and I started to feel better. It took a long long time for anyone to notice I was
Losing weight but once the compliments started that was also a huge incentive! These days I'm a size 16, have lost 9stones 9lb and feel so much better. I still want to lose another 2.5st, but I know I'll get there. I guess all I wanted to say really was - I feel your pain. I know how it feels when you're miserable about your weight and you're tired and fed up and wonder if things can ever be better. I'm here to tell you - they can. Make yourself meals you'll actually look forward to. Use all your syns. Adapt your favourite meals to be SW friendly. And I know it sounds like hard work, but when you feel ready, take up some exercise. All that stuff they say about endorphins is true. Most importantly stick with it. And I promise, eventually you'll get there. Good luck lovely xx

Absolutely amazing loss MrsScandude, and inspirational!

Hi I'm sorry you are feeling so low.

I took a month or 2 before I really got into the swing of it, and have lost over 2 stone now.

I didn't want to admit it, but I was making mistakes all over the place! It was when I found this forum I really learnt about the plan and how to make it work for me. I highly recommend spending some time here, we are all in the same boat, and have seen lots of people on here who had rocky starts.

A food diary on here is a great way to get tailored advice and support too.

I really hope you feel more positive soon xx

Thanks guys :) I really hope my musings help the OP! :) x

My advice would be to do something about it asap before you get older and your weight gets more. Going by your stats I wouldn't consider you to be terribly overweight but obviously you are not happy with it so it would be good if you can make changes.
It is being checked to see if its a medical issue which is great, what about if its a mental issue? Are you able to get emotional support?
What changes can you make? The sw plan is a great start if you can stick to it well done, if you have increased activity that could delay the weightloss for a short period.
Make small changes, start with a meal at a time then a day.....week etc

Thank you so much. I have spent today really thinking about what I want from life. This is not it.

My self esteem is at rock bottom and I have no energy or motivation.

Something has to change. My diet needs to change dramatically so I will start there. Baby steps, but I will start getting more fruit and veg into my day.

Then I will add exercise when my energy levels have increased.

I don't want to be negative anymore. This isn't me. I am stubborn and strong so if I think that way about weight loss I will do it!!!

I am going to start a diary, I think it will be a good idea to be honest with myself about what I eat.

Thank you again, your posts have made me feel so much better about all of this.

Now I just need to stop wallowing and get on with it!!!!

craftypants said:
Thank you so much. I have spent today really thinking about what I want from life. This is not it.

Something has to change. My diet needs to change dramatically so I will start there. Baby steps, but I will start getting more fruit and veg into my day.

I don't want to be negative anymore. This isn't me. I am stubborn and strong so if I think that way about weight loss I will do it!!!

I am going to start a diary, I think it will be a good idea to be honest with myself about what I eat.

Good luck with it all, CP! X

craftypants said:

Excellent! My number one piece of weightloss advice is to be stubborn as hell about it. This is your time, it's in your hands!

Wishing you all the best xxx

Hello, I'm also 24 and a lot like you! I've had an horrendous six months and put on and on till I got to nearly 18 stone (as of last Monday) and decided enough was enough! I am on antidepressants, under much duress but I must admit they help! Your problem sounds just how I was, I was tested for thyroid trouble which might be your issue!

As for the diet, keep a journal, not just of food but of mood to and see if a pattern emerges. Give SW a month and check your loss over 4 weeks as I no something as simple as eating salty food can make me put on even if I've been good!

Do things that make you feel good however stupid, I love drawing, watching tv no one else likes, putting on my fav song and dancing like a loon, anything to make you smile! But the most important thing is to not give yourself a hard time, you can do anything you set your mind to! Xxxxx

Hey.
I second the comment about the thyroid check. Before I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid I was gaining weight soooo quickly I was sad moody depressed (although I had just lost my dad) I was always cold I literally had to force myself up in the morning I was just so tired it felt like my body was shutting down once I was put on thyroxine slowly everything came right. It was amazing to have energy again. On slimming world the weight is coming off slowly but it's coming off :) good luck and just be gentle with yourself xxxx

Back