Devastating news

LisaC

Gold Member
Last night one of my cats was diagnosed with kidney failure. I can't tell you how upset I am. My boys mean the whole world to me. I lost two before when they were run over so we got two that would be indoor cats, my little boy is only 6, so young, & even though we kept him safe inside I'm still going to lose him.

We've been told he may only last a few months more, I haven't stopped crying, I had to come home from work. He's been hydrated today at the vet & we have tablets & have changed his diet.

I wondered if anyone else has been through this & maybe their cat has lasted longer than the vets thought? I've found lots of "success stories" where cats have gone on months/years longer. I'm struggling to find hope.

Hi Lisa, so sorry about your news but never give up hope. We had a beautiful rescue persian that had CRF and I found lots of positive info online. She lasted a couple of years longer than the vet thought....she passed away just last Janaury 2011. I still have one persian left and although she's 16 yrs young, I hate the thought of her passing. Good luck and do your research and enjoy every day with him. Thinking of you and sending you ((hugs)) xoxo

I don't have a cat so can't help with health issues but I understand how bad you must feel, My dog means the world to me and I would be devastated if anything happened to her. I lost my boy to cancer last year (he was 14) and it nearly killed me- I couldn't have felt worse had I lost a parent.

My heart goes out to you x

((((())))) so sorry to hear that hunni xxx

We lost a cat to kidney failure, the vet gave us special food, but she didn't like it, in the end we decided to give her what she wanted so she could be happy the later part of her life. She did live for about another year after being diagnosed & she went peacefully in her sleep.

We lost our cat in June, he was run over, it was so upsetting, I can relate to you crying, I just couldn't stop myself, even now I see photo's of him & want to cry, we all miss him so much.

But we've still got Phoebe & she has become a different cat since we lost Mike, she is more friendly & has lost weight.

Try & make the most of the time you have together.

Lisa - am sooo sad for you. I don't have any cats but love my dog (baby!) and feel for you. I remember the vet telling me with my first dog that she wouldn't make Xmas but we had a precious extra year with her. In the end you have to put their welfare first and every extra day you have together will be precious - I wish our pets lived as long as us!
My last cavalier died in my arms and I was devastated - he was only 8 (heart problems) and no one could believe it when I had coco another cavvy. But I love them sooooo much that even the love and devotion we have for a short time makes the loss worthwhile.
Take care honey xxxxx

Thanks ladies, when he was diagnosed the vet (who is also the owner of the sugery) said to bring him in the next morning for a drip, he said my cat must have that. When he went in the owner wasn't there, another lady saw him & did something else. When my dad spoke to the owner this morning questionning it he said he had no idea why the other vet did that, and she absolutely should have put him on a drip.

I'm sad that my faith is in these people :(

Back