Diary of a little auk

Razorbill

Oh well here is the stat of my diary which I hope will maybe keep me on track. I'm going to start off by trying to just make healthier choices with my food and stick to a vegetarian diet as much as possible (though I've a funny feeling I might have trouble giving up prawns of all the stupid things...).

I find calorie counting a bit difficult as my windows phone has a very limited number of aps in this area. I also kind of feel that losing weight shouldn't really be as difficult as it would be if I counted every calorie. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to lose weight by instinct as it were.

I desperately need to avoid having multi-packs of things like crisps and biscuits in the house as that's just asking for trouble for me sadly. Luckily my partner has also decided he needs to eat a healthier diet though for him it's because he has diabetes (not related to diet). I myself have a stress-related joint problem which makes it difficult for me to work my jaw properly. At times I'll need to stick to soft foods which don't require much chewing.

Anyway today

Breakfast
2 x scrambled eggs with semi-skimmed milk and tiny amount of extra-mature cheddar
Kiwi, apple and ginger smoothie

Lunch
Banana

Tea
Cream of tomato soup with 3 slices of soft white bread

Snacks
Chocolate bar (38g)
Slice of honeydew melon cut into small pieces

At the moment I'm trying to rest my jaw a bit which is why I'm on the "care-home" diet. I'm really hoping my pet chickens pick up on their egg-laying as 1 egg a day from the three of them isn't going to satisfy my new-found love for scrambled egg. One of them is unwell so has an excuse but there's another one of the beggars that is clearly a total slacker. :rolleyes:

:eek:Be prepared for a lot of mess if you ever get pet chickens! I think out of all of our various pets they're by far the messiest.

I forgot to add my exercise for today which was some housework and a 5-mile walk with my dogs.

Last night my partner decided he was going to fire some camembert into the oven to have with some crackers so I ended up having two crackers with some cheese on before going to bed.

I've been food shopping today and picked up some fresh fruit and veg along with wholemeal pasta and brown rice. Plan for today is as follows:

Brunch
Fried egg (damn chickens weren't pulling their weight yesterday so no scrambled egg for me)
Grilled button mushrooms
1/2 can of baked beans

Tea
Vegetable curry with brown rice (using a jar of sauce from the store this time but have looked out my Indian cookbook to research how to make curries from scratch)

Snacks
10 x fresh cherries
Handful of dried berries
Few fresh grapes and strawberries

I always aim to make my curries as varied as possible but forgot to pick up the magic ingredient (dried mango). Tonight we have button mushrooms, carrot, peas, sweetcorn, broccoli and cauliflower.

Luckily my lazy arse chickens have got their act together so I'll get my scrambled egg tomorrow.

Last edited:
Breakfast
Grapes and cherries
Kiwi, apple and ginger smoothie

Lunch
Smoked salmon and scrambled egg (made with semi-skimmed milk and a little mature cheddar)

Tea
Scampi, chips, peas and sweetcorn

Snacks
Dried berries
Moar grapes
Flat peach
2 x cream crackers
Chocolate biscuit

A visit to the MIL always involves some kind of chocolate biscuit on offer (hopefully tonight's visit will be no different so I've popped it in the diary as a foregone conclusion). I've decided to incorporate a weekly "fish" day as I've had a bit of difficulty giving up meat. Feel like I've pigged out a bit today but have tried my best to stick to fruit.

Have had a bit of a hungry day today but I think it's justified given the fact I broke myself draining and cleaning a 1200 gallon pond. That includes catching all the damn fish (one of which gave me the run-around for a full hour), scrubbing all the tiles and rocks, gutting the filter and pump, pruning all the plants then bagging up the dead plants and taking them to the cowp. Usually my partner helps me do a full clean on the pond but we're going to use the extra holiday to possibly go away in October.

Came home stinking of fish so went straight for a bath which helped my back a bit, need to head back tomorrow to re-release the fish and de-chorinate the water (OK so I probably won't do those things in that order). Went back to the building and peered in the window to make sure the pond was re-filling OK and it seems to be so that's good, it should be all nice and sparkly tomorrow.

Breakfast

Egg and cress sandwich from ASDA

Lunch
Half portion of veg curry and brown rice from the other night

Tea
Vegetarian bolognese with wholewheat pasta (ASDA do the weirdest vegetarian mince ever) and a small handful of mature cheddar

Snacks

Cornish vanilla ice cream
Flat peach

Last edited:
Breakfast
Egg mayo and tomato roll

Lunch
3 x vegetarian hot dogs on a roll with ketchup

Tea
Vegetable curry (carrot, sweetcorn, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, button mushrooms and potato)
Slice of cheesecake with chocolate biscuit on top

Snacks

Packet of crisps
Flat peach x 2

It's the weekend as far as I'm concerned so some naughty stuff is creeping in. To be fair though the cheesecake just looked so amazing and had been made with my favourite type of chocolate biscuit so there was no way I was resisting that.

My fiance and I are having our parents over for pizza and other such unhealthy stuff tomorrow night so I can't see that going well, we're also not totally convinced that our bathroom scales are telling the truth so will need to find a way of confirming whether they're goosed or what. If they're correct then I have 2 stone and 12lb to lose but I think they're at least 10lb off.

Attachments

• cheesecake.jpg
    cheesecake.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 13
Breakfast
Boiled egg on a roll

Lunch
2 x Flat peach

Tea

A truly awful/amazing combination of pizza, french fries, nibbles and ice cream.

Snacks
See above

So we had a few folk over to ours last night for take away pizza and such and it was lovely though I felt a bit ill afterwards. There doesn't seem like much point in completely denying the odd "off the record day" but I need to ensure this doesn't become a weekly habit as it was before. Tomorrow I'm back to work so will have the use of the swimming pool there again and will also be seeing my GP about my jaw problems on Tuesday (so will sadly miss swimming then). Stewart gets paid on the 25th of this month so we will be able to renew our monthly pass then. Potentially then I will be able to swim on a Sunday afteroon, Monday mornings and evenings, Tuesday mornings, Wednesday evenings, Thursday mornings, Friday mornings and evenings and Saturday afternoons. I'll be aiming to go swimming 4-5 times a week, it is probably the only type of exercise that I do properly enjoy.

OK the weekend wasn't great but I'm reasonably back on track today. Autumn term begins with two in-service days in which one department has to bring in a ton of crisps, cakes and other assorted comfort food so I managed to stay clear of that (aside from the mixed nuts and raisins) and I managed to swim 3/4 of a mile in the pool before work. I was in Aldi on the way home to pick up some cheese to go with tea but a tub of sorbet was calling my name so that got bundled into the basket as well. My portion was perhaps slightly larger than necessary but I felt that I hadn't done too badly in terms of food otherwise.

Breakfast
Aldi apple and pear bar (the packet claims it to be only made from apples and pears but I'm skeptical)

Lunch
Handful of mixed nuts/raisins

Tea
Quorn bolognase with wholemeal pasta and small handful of mature cheddar
Bowl of raspberry sorbet

Exercise
40min swim (60 lengths)

Last edited:
OK the weekend wasn't great but I'm reasonably back on track today. Autumn term begins with two in-service days in which one department has to bring in a ton of crisps, cakes and other assorted comfort food so I managed to stay clear of that (aside from the mixed nuts and raisins) and I managed to swim 3/4 of a mile in the pool before work. I was in Aldi on the way home to pick up some cheese to go with tea but a tub of sorbet was calling my name so that got bundled into the basket as well. My portion was perhaps slightly larger than necessary but I felt that I hadn't done too badly in terms of food otherwise.

Breakfast
Aldi apple and pear bar (the packet claims it to be only made from apples and pears but I'm skeptical)

Lunch
Handful of mixed nuts/raisins

Tea
Quorn bolognase with wholemeal pasta and small handful of mature cheddar
Bowl of raspberry sorbet

Exercise
40min swim (60 lengths)
Looks like a great day, well done :)

Today has been a pretty good day though I didn't get for a swim because of the fact I had a doctors appointment but I did manage to cram in 7 portions of fruit and veg.

Breakfast
Apple and pear bar from Aldi
Flat peach

Lunch
Salad with 30g salad cheese and half a packet of smoked salmon

Tea
Vegetable vindaloo with brown rice (made with carrot, button mushrooms, sweetcorn, peas, broccoli and cauliflower)

Snacks
Handful of grapes
Raw carrot

Won't get a swim tomorrow sadly as the pool is shut on a Wednesday morning. Someone else wanted my carrot, stupid vegetarian dog.

WP_20170815_17_45_29_Pro%201.jpg

Believe it or not my fiance's dog Jake is the vegetable fiend in our house. He'll eat pretty much any veg you give him. Skye (pictured), my dog tends to just go for vegetables if she sees Jake eating them and then thinks she's missing out.:rolleyes:

Well yesterday was not a good day aside from the fact I managed 60 lengths in the pool.

I was shopping for something cheap but not too heavy for school lunches and wound up buying a packet of cream crackers and low fat spreading cheese. Problem is its too hard to stick to eating a reasonable amount of them so lesson learnt there. Came out the pool feeling really hungry so had scoffed 7 crackers with a light spreading of cheese before I knew where I was. Friday is staff cuppy day so I had a mini chocolate roll.

When I got back from school I had a roll on scrambled egg with an apple and pear bar.

I went shopping in Morrisons for dog meat but picked up a multi-bag of crisps with the idea of having one and getting my partner to hide the rest.

At dinner time I was waiting for my partner to come home from work but he was getting later and later and I was losing the will to cook. I wound up eating two bags of crisps before he got home then when he did he mentioned that he'd been taken out for lunch with work and wasn't hungry. I decided to just bung half a frozen pizza in the oven but it was pretty yuck so I only managed a few bites before giving the rest to the rats and dogs (that's probably why the dogs have such bad gas today).

Breakfast
7 cream crackers with soft cheese :(

Lunch
Roll on scrambled egg

Tea
2 x bags of crisps :(

Snacks
Apple and pear bar
Flat peach
Chocolate mini roll

Exercise
40min swim (60 lengths)

Oh dear! .. just what I would do Rb!.. I am constantly buying things with the intention of just eating one or perhaps two and then the next minute somehow there's not any left :rolleyes:
I always think it's better to be honest and own up to our misdeeds after all we would only be cheating ourselves.. well done with the swim .. that's got to help.

Your calories probably weren't that bad!!!!
I'm like that with crackers and hummus, just can't stop!

Well done on the swimming :)

OK trying to catch up with the last couple of days. Stewart and me decided to go to ALDI for unhealthy snacks for our movie night on Saturday but I did manage to not scoff it all.

Saturday

Breakfast
Flat peach
Apple and pear bar

Lunch
Greggs tuna crunch baguette
French fancy

Tea
Vegetarian bolognase with tagliatelle

Snacks
50g crisps
Chocolate orange bar

Today

Lunch
French toast x 2 slices

Tea
Babyleaf salad with tomato, feta cheese and olives

Snacks
Chocolate orange bar
50g crisps

I think that tomorrow I'll need to set some limits on the amount of crap I can eat in the course of the week.

Back