Diary of a low carb loser ;)

Phoenyx

Step away from the cake..
Hi! I've been lurking for a while, I was primal / low carb most of last year and lost 3 stone, took a break, gained a stone back and am in the process of losing this and another stone to reach my target.

I've tried every diet under the sun, but low carb works best for me. I'm not strictly doing Atkins, but a mishmash of paleo / primal / Atkins / low carb type thing.

I read an excellent book called Fitness Confidential, by vinnie tortorich, which had two recommendations - give up grains and sugar.

i like to keep it simple, so those are my two main rules - cut grain & sugar 90% of the time. The rest will follow...

Last edited:
Today:

exercise:
am 20 mins intervals on treadmill
(5 min jog 5.5mph @1.5%, 7 x 1 min @ 7mph, incline 5%, 1 min walk between intervals (tried to jog between intervals but nearly died!), 2 min jog)
pm 40 mins sweeping up leaves
lots of walking through the day

10am 2 rashers organic bacon, stirfried red pepper & courgette, black coffee
11.30 coffee with a dash of cream
2pm smoked salmon, cauliflower mashed with cheese, 1 hard boiled egg
4pm soya latte
7pm more mashed cauliflower with cheese, boiled egg (hungry & dinner not ready yet)
8.30pm 2 roast chicken legs with skin, cabbage, Greek yoghurt with sf jelly

water - 1.5-2 litres

cals c.1500, carbs 34g

Last edited:
Friday

exercise - 3 mile run (not going to pretend it was easy, or that I was fast, but I did it!)

b - banana pre run
green smoothie post run - made with Greek yoghurt, spinach, 1/4 avocado, blueberries (and a naughty 1/3 tsp stevia)
s - coffee & cream
l - big ass salad (lots of leaves, boiled egg, avocado, chorizo, walnuts, rasher of bacon, couple of slices of left over chicken dressed with olive oil & lemon)
s - soya latte, salted almonds
t - the bottom part (meat) of a shepherds pie, cauliflower

arrgggh! 4.5 hrs in car today, on a journey that usually takes half that time. Am visiting the folks and my step dad went to lots of effort to cook a yummy shepherds pie....which of course being low carb I couldn't eat. So I ate the meat bit & left the mash.

scales saying 1lb on, but totm has started, and I'm definitely feeling slimmer so not worried by it :)

Last edited:
Friday

exercise - 3 mile run (not going to pretend it was easy, or that I was fast, but I did it!)

b - banana pre run
green smoothie post run - made with Greek yoghurt, spinach, 1/4 avocado, blueberries (and a naughty 1/3 tsp stevia)
s - coffee & cream
l - big ass salad (lots of leaves, boiled egg, avocado, chorizo, walnuts, rasher of bacon, couple of slices of left over chicken dressed with olive oil & lemon)
s - soya latte, salted almonds
t - the bottom part (meat) of a shepherds pie, cauliflower

arrgggh! 4.5 hrs in car today, on a journey that usually takes half that time. Am visiting the folks and my step dad went to lots of effort to cook a yummy shepherds pie....which of course being low carb I couldn't eat. So I ate the meat bit & left the mash.

scales saying 1lb on, but totm has started, and I'm definitely feeling slimmer so not worried by it :)

Welcome!

I've got serious food envy right now, I'm really missing fruit. Sounds like you're doing great, keep up the good work! x

Saturday

pre breakfast run - 3 miles (felt v heavy legged again)

B - 2 boiled eggs, edamame beans, black coffee
s - cheddar, apple, soya latte
L - smoked salmon, salad with leaves, feta & avocado & olive oil; lots of sweet chestnuts
T - salmon fillet, spinach, roasted veg (courgette, butternut squash), lentil & goats cheese salad

Last edited:
Lost the plot a bit on Sunday evening...

exercise - rest day

b - late so snacked on raspberries and a small slice of cheese
then scrambled eggs and bacon
s - cappucino
l - roast lamb (large helping!), broccoli, green beans, roast onion
on drive home - soya latte
evening - felt v snacky so had loads of salted almonds, some chorizo, and then half a large bar of dairy milk - naughty!

i was quite pleased that I managed not to eat sweets on the drive home, that can be a sticky point for me, especially as it was totm and I was feeling emotional. I was tempted to launch into a full blown binge but held off - phew.

Weighed this morning and had gained a pound, which takes my loss for this week to 2lbs. I'm not surprised - eating chocolate and all those salted almonds last night has made me retain water. I felt v bloated, and in fact had a horrible upset tummy this afternoon and evening.

Exercise - easy run - 2 miles on treadmill (22.5 mins)

B - latte
s - banana, tbsp almond butter, olives, cheese
l - salad nicoise, coffee with milk
D - steak, mixed veg in butter (peas, sweetcorn, broccoli, carrots), Greek yoghurt with a tsp honey

cals 1600
carbs 77g

Last edited:
Hi Phoenyx, good to see you again:)

Back