Diary of a Newbie's Shaky Start...

orangesuitcase

Hi Everyone

I started Slimming World on 18th July, weighing-in on a Monday night.

As a very brief history, I did join Slimming World for 3/4 months back in 2013 and lost over a stone in that time. I ended up changing jobs which meant I had to change groups and in all honesty, I just didn't ever go back.

I did think it was very good, just my circumstances changed and I didn't make the effort to seek a new group, but I do think I picked up some good habits from it e.g. I continued to make all my own sauces instead of buying jars or packets and...well, I think that's it! I did choose to buy Frylight over oil from time to time but not religiously!

My first week went so well - I stuck to plan, I used as few of my syns as possible, and there were two nights when I didn't have an evening meal due to being unwell. I thought I was in for a big loss, but the scales reported back a 0.5lbs loss, which left me pretty disheartened. I picked myself back up, with the help of my group, and started week two determined to follow my group and consultants advice - eat more and try to use my syns up... It felt the opposite of what I should be doing but it worked, and I lost 5.5lbs on my second weigh-in. The third week I introduced the HiFi bars, as I wasn't having enough hexA and started walking a lot more. Convinced I'd hit my half stone award, I was shocked to see I had put on 0.5lbs... And here I am in the middle of week four!

I've had some ramblings, mostly moaning, in here: https://www.minimins.com/threads/trying-to-bounce-back-after-a-disappointing-first-week.355523/

I thought I would create a diary here to see if people can pick up on anything I might be doing wrong or things I shouldn't eat so much of, etc...

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Week 4 Day 2 (09/08/16)

Breakfast
Raspberries
Strawberries

Lunch
Aldi melba toast slices x6 (0.5 syns each - 3 syns in total)
Laughing Cow extra light cheese triangles x6 (hexA)
3 slices of ham
Wild rocket, tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions

Dinner
Pork marinated in soy sauce and BBQ seasoning
Peppers, mushroom, asparagus, baby corn, chillies, garlic and ginger
x1 bag of boil in the bag rice

Snacks
Small orange
x1 HiFi bar (hexB)
x1 Benefit bar (hexB)

Syns
Semi-skimmed milk (1 syn)
Sugar (1syn)
Aldi vanilla and choc sprinkles yogurt (0.5 syns)
M&S mini cookies (1.5 syns)
2 finger Kitkat (5.5 syns)

Total Syns: 12.5

Last edited:
Week 4 Day 3 (10/08/16)

Breakfast
Raspberries
Strawberries

Lunch
3 slices of ham
Wild rocket, cucumber, spring onions

Dinner
SW chicken tikka curry prepared with peppers, mushrooms, chillies, garlic, ginger, coriander, tomatoe puree
x1 bag of boil in the bag basmati rice

Snacks
Melon

Syns
Semi-skimmed milk (2 syn)
Sugar (2syn)
Aldi orange and choc sprinkles yogurt (0.5 syns)
x1 small Aldi poppadom (2 syns)
Creme fraiche (0.5 syns)

Total Syns: 10

Last edited:
I can't honestly see anything wrong with your food. Maybe you are simply a week on week off person? I'd be confident in saying that you will likely have a bigger loss this coming week like week 2?

Week 4 Day 4 (11/08/16)

Breakfast
Raspberries
Strawberries

Lunch
3 slices of ham
Wild rocket, tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions

Dinner
Homemade spagbol with peppers, mushrooms, chillies, garlic, tomato puree and tinned tomatoes

Snacks
Small orange
x1 Alpen bar (hexB)
x1 Benefit bar (hexB)

Syns
Semi-skimmed milk (1 syn)
Sugar (1syn)
Aldi vanilla and choc sprinkles yogurt (0.5 syns)
Mature grated cheese (4 syns)

Total Syns: 9.5

Your food looks great, though are you measuring your milk? I was amazed to find out just how much I'd been putting in that 'splash' in my coffee. Also, I've had a few weeks where I've maintained even though I know I followed the plan. With me it's usually water retention due to TOM. Maybe that's what's happening with you?

Popping by to subscribe!

I had the same trouble when I first joined SW. I was barely losing anything and more often than not, I was gaining. My consultant was baffled as to why this was happening. Long story short, it turned out my B choice was hindering my weight loss. My consultant and the regional manager agreed that it would be best if I cut my B choice out. The following week I lost 3.5lb, which was amazing considering the most I'd ever lost before was a third of that! Then the weight started coming away nicely. I stopped going to group not long after due to financial reasons, but carried on following plan at home and lost 4 stone in total. Unfortunately, I did put it all back on when pregnant with my son, but I am back on the wagon now, 2 weeks in - 7lb down :)

Don't give up! You will find a way to tailor the plan to suit you!

Back