Diet coke/coke zero the same?

No not quite the same. Diet coke has citric acid in it which can kick you out of ketosis. I have coke zero most days tbh. Not recommended really as it can make you feel hungry but I personally haven't had any problems on that front.

I would avoid both, although theres not citric acid in the coke zero is still uses aspartame sweeteners I believe and you should really avoid those. There's loads of info about the negative effects of aspartame online if you need more info.

hi ya
there is actually no evidence to support that citric acid can kick you out of ketosis, it can make it a lot harder to enter ketosis and as many people get kicked out of ketosis as those who dont, so the evidenace is very much inconclusive.

that said it is best to avoid it incase you might be one of the people it affects, can i just ask, if you dont normally drink dietcoke/coke zero why do you want to now?

id just stick with water personally and when you have been on CD for a few weeks there are some lovely flavourings you can add xx

I allow myself a coke zero only if i have drunk all the water i need for the day. I don't want to fill up on coke and not fancy water anymore x

Thank you ladies, can always get great answers on here.

Lastbiscuit, I only want coke zero because I am dying for something to drink other than water or sparkling. I was going out that night and just wanted something different if I couldnt enjoy myself with food and alcohol :)

Krissykat said:
I would avoid both, although theres not citric acid in the coke zero is still uses aspartame sweeteners I believe and you should really avoid those. There's loads of info about the negative effects of aspartame online if you need more info.

Almost all the Cambridge and Lighter Life shakes and bars contain Aspartame too, so avoiding Coke Zero to avoid Aspartame won't really help.

I have a can of Coke Zero almost everyday and it's just to make a change to plain boring water, it doesn't affect my losses and it doesn't make me want to eat. But it is a slight deviation from the plan. If it doesn't affect you and it's going to help keep you on track then I say why not? Just don't go replacing your whole water in take with Coke Zero or your dentist might get more than he bargained for.

Thank you ladies, can always get great answers on here.

Lastbiscuit, I only want coke zero because I am dying for something to drink other than water or sparkling. I was going out that night and just wanted something different if I couldnt enjoy myself with food and alcohol :)

sorry hun didnt mean that the way it came out :-/ i have stayed away from coke zero only because im scared ill end up going down a slippery slope i rember watching or readign somehtign on diet drinks that in the long run they can increase your appetite - but agree with what you say if you go out and you cant have alcohol? what would be the alternative xx

Almost all the Cambridge and Lighter Life shakes and bars contain Aspartame too, so avoiding Coke Zero to avoid Aspartame won't really help.

I have a can of Coke Zero almost everyday and it's just to make a change to plain boring water, it doesn't affect my losses and it doesn't make me want to eat. But it is a slight deviation from the plan. If it doesn't affect you and it's going to help keep you on track then I say why not? Just don't go replacing your whole water in take with Coke Zero or your dentist might get more than he bargained for.

Avoiding aspartame as much as possible will help in the long run and you have no way of knowing whether coke zero affects your losses or not, they may be good but there is not way of knowing if they would've been better if you hadn't drunk it.

in this world you can't avoid drinking things with sweetner in them. i live for sweetner. it's not banned on CD! using sweetners is advised if you need to sweeten your drinks.

i drink coke zero and dr pepper zero! they do not affect your weight losses but were banned due to CD wanting to move away from conventional foods.

when i first did cd in 2005 coke zero was on the allowed list. 2007 after i had my first baby, it was still allowed. 2009 after matthew, my 2nd, the old pink cd website had gone and in it's place was the official cd website and a new range of rules (including not cooking packs or making things out of them). part of the new rules was the banning of drinking fizzy diet soft drinks. It was solely a move away from people drinking those instead of the water. plus fizzy drinks can also make some people hungrier.

Citric acid and ketosis. it's best to avoid citric acid when trying to get into ketosis but once firmly in ketosis it doesn't seem to affect people. I avoid it when i can but there are times when i'm out and i can't get hold of a can of diet coke Z so i have just a regular diet coke. it's fine however, i wouldn't do it often.

you have no way of knowing whether coke zero affects your losses or not, they may be good but there is not way of knowing if they would've been better if you hadn't drunk it.

in 2009 i avoided coke zero until week 12. after week 12 i had a can a day. i lost the same weight week 13+ as i had week 3-12! week in and week out an average of 3.5lbs a week!

this is the only way people can see for themselves whether it affects their losses or not. each individual will make their own minds up on this.

with regard to to the coke zero debate i think nikki is absolutely spot on with whats she saying, from what i understand from my cdc the reason coke zero is not promoted as "being allowed" is its not part if the re-education process ,

its all about understanding why you do what you do, why you eat what you do, and what triggers you etc

we are only human and the brain will always try and reason a way around the rules - not to cheat as such, but to justify why you can have it - eg freezing a cambridge bar so you can pick at it all night - now thats fine and its not breaking the diet but... its not really changing your habits is it?

i know we all have our own reasons for being here and being on this diet ,but, that type of justifcation is not going to help you in the long run if your an habitual person.
if you see what i mean?
the same is true of coke zero- whilst its fine its not doing you good to end up replacing your water allowence with CZ.
but as a previous poster said things like CZ can be your friend if on a night out and your stuck for what to have to drink.
v x

lastbiscuit said:
with regard to to the coke zero debate i think nikki is absolutely spot on with whats she saying, from what i understand from my cdc the reason coke zero is not promoted as "being allowed" is its not part if the re-education process ,

its all about understanding why you do what you do, why you eat what you do, and what triggers you etc

we are only human and the brain will always try and reason a way around the rules - not to cheat as such, but to justify why you can have it - eg freezing a cambridge bar so you can pick at it all night - now thats fine and its not breaking the diet but... its not really changing your habits is it?

i know we all have our own reasons for being here and being on this diet ,but, that type of justifcation is not going to help you in the long run if your an habitual person.
if you see what i mean?
the same is true of coke zero- whilst its fine its not doing you good to end up replacing your water allowence with CZ.
but as a previous poster said things like CZ can be your friend if on a night out and your stuck for what to have to drink.
v x

Hmm. I'm not sure I entirely agree. I can see why some folks think it's logical to get into the habit of 3 set 'mealtimes' a day - but I'm not sure that one's time on the Cambridge diet is necessarily the best time to work on that habit!

For example, i think it's perfectly acceptable to split shakes into 2 lots and in effect have 6 smaller meals a day. I also can't see a problem with cutting a bar up into small pieces to make it last longer. This diet is hard enough to do without adding another unnecessary layer of rigidity (i.e., making yourself have set mealtimes).

As for the Coke Zero debate, that one's rumbled on for years, ever since Cambridge took out of the plan (just a few short years ago) the allowance of a can of diet pop per day. The cynics among us (who, moi? ;)) would say that was perhaps to boost sales of water flavourings (which, rather curiously, contain citric acid... :))

I personally find fizzy diet drinks give me the munches but I've been known to indulge occasionally. A fizzy diet drink is always going to be a better choice than falling off the wagon.

lily - you, are so the voice of reason.
love the way you explain things so rationally and fairly and in actual fact you have me thinking about my own theory now - maybe the ridgity is what caused my own downfall this week??
my cdc mentioned about splitting shakes up - i am by nature quite an habitual person - i am wondering how that would work for me and how to get it to work for me
thanks lily xxx

i think, personally, when you've drank 2 litres of water, had coffee and want a can then i'd have 1! if it was ok before they changed their minds then there's nothing wrong now other than cd wanting to get rid of conventional foods, and yes lily could be right.... boosting their own sales of water flavouring that has aspartame in it :eek: lol.

Back