Disappointing first week weight loss, advice appreciated!

Julia M

Hi everyone,
I joined SW a week ago, after ballooning in weight and was really excited to get going. I completely changed my eating habits, ditching everything that I'd been doing that had piled weight on, i.e. chocolate, wine, bread. I even joined the gym and attended 3 classes to help get my weight loss a boost. I have 6.5 stone to lose, so you can imagine my disappointment when I LOST ONLY 2lb!!! I was gutted. Not because 2lb isn't a good loss, but in the first week, when most members have a significant loss, I could have cried! I want to give up because I can't bear the thought of this being my biggest loss, not after the regimented way I have stuck to plan. Can anyone share inspirational stories of a similar start that then picked up and resulted in good losses in later weeks?? I feel like I have a mountain to climb already, but this has really made me doubt if this plan really is for me. Thanks :) x

2lbs is a decent loss!

There are a couple of things that might have happened:

- Perhaps it's possible that despite sticking perfectly to the plan, the calories that you took in each day exceeded your requirements.

- It might be that you had had a drink or eaten something heavy before the weigh-in or were wearing heavier clothes than the week before (this sounds silly but as an experienced dieter I can tell you these things can make a massive difference on the scales) or even that you had hormonal fluid retention x

Heia, I started slimming world four weeks ago, and lost 2lb first week like yourself, but lost 4lb the second week! It might take a couple of weeks for your body to adjust. Second week I drank loads of water, and had a couple of evening walks. After four weeks I have lost 10 Lb, which I'm happy with, slowly wind the race as they say xx

2lbs is a decent loss for a first week! My first week on SW I lost 3.5 and I remember being really upset because I thought i'd followed the plan perfectly and was expecting 5 or 6 lbs as i'd heard from other friends that's what they'd had first week.

You have to remember your body needs time to adjust and you're having to get yourself familiar with the plan and a whole new way of eating. I ended up finding out the cereal I'd been having as my HEB in my first week was actually a much higher syn value than I thought so i'd been exceeding my syns for the first week and still managed to lose 3.5! The second week I came off that cereal and by my next weigh in i'd lost 7lbs!

Please don't get disheartened on your first week, everyone's journey is different and just because you lost 2lbs this week doesn't man that's going to be your biggest loss throughout!

Back