Do food cravings stop or get replaced for something else

Julie W

Hi all, I'm 4 days in to SS and wanted to know others experiences with food in terms of - do you still have cravings? do you think about food a lot more than before you started the diet? If so, how do deal with it?

I'm finding that food is on my mind more now than before I started. I'm definately noticing what other people are eating all the time and could do with some advice on how to overcome this.

Hi Julie, i don't really get cravings anymore, and before i started food was on my mind most of the time! I do sometimes think: 'that would be nice to eat, i'm looking forward to eating that again one day' but even these things are now nice healthy foods. But i definately don't get any uncontrollable cravings, whereas i did at the start. So for me since the end of the second week it gets easier :)

Im obsessed with food! Almost completed my 5th week and doesnt seem to get any easier, but it is more manageable. Food is the first thing i think about in the morning, and the last thing i think about at night , hell i even DREAM about food. I try and become obsessed with other things, like planning a holiday, job hunting, looking for new phones/laptops. Just focusing on something else helps distract the mind for a few hours!

Second time I've tried to post this now so hopefully it dooesn't come out twice lol
I'm in week 7 and although I am well past the hunger pains of week 1, I still get urges and fancy all kinds of different food lol Most days are worse than others but its just a case of not giving in as it is only in your mind, and if you do it takes you right back to week 1 again, with the hunger. You get more head strong the longer your on it and i really believe it when people say that this diet totally changes the way you think about food.

Good luck hun, it gets easier xx

Also I know it sounds really weird but if I am really wanting something I find just smelling it takes away my craving lol Last night I opened a new jar of peanut butter just to smell it, it probably won't get used and will end up going in the bin but hell I just had to smell it lol

Also I know it sounds really weird but if I am really wanting something I find just smelling it takes away my craving lol Last night I opened a new jar of peanut butter just to smell it, it probably won't get used and will end up going in the bin but hell I just had to smell it lol

LOL. You think that is weird. I used to 'mime' out eating an imaginary bar of choccie. Would sit down with my coffee and pretend to unwrap the bar, bite off a bit, chew...etc.

Was so good at in the end that I remember accusing someone of nicking my bar when I suddenly couldn't find it :D

Worked a treat for me.

Well i'm reaching the end of my 10th week. I no longer crave junk food. But every now and then crave random food, like fruit, cellery and cheese. I don't really crave anything else. And alot happier being around food.

Hi there,
I agree with the above- it does get easier: I've even been attentively reading the recipe pages in the paper this morning, thinking to myself, "oo, I'll make that at some point". Once your body stops telling you that you're hungry I found it a lot easier.

Carrie-Ann is right too- after a couple of good losses, you become very single-minded about it and go to all sorts of lengths not to get in a food-situation.
I can be around people eating and not feel tempted, I only find it a bit icky now if there is real 'troughing' going on!

Like Jess, one of the habits I wanted to break was thinking about food so much. My OH is a chef, so an enormous amount of our time (and money!) was spent shopping, thinking about and cooking food. oddly, I sometimes miss these things more than the eating itself: baking a cake for no reason, wandering around a market trying things, cooking for all our friends- but I know that the harder I work at it now, the sooner I will be able to do all those things again and be able to appreciate them without taking them for granted and going overboard. Why splurge on a nasty take-away when you can have the fun, comfort and shared experience of gathering lovely, fresh, healthy ingredients and cooking something together instead? A year or so ago this was always my attitude, but something went wrong in the last 6 months and I forgot it. One of the reasons I'm doing this is to remind myself of exactly that- not to take food for granted, to savour its taste without gorging, not to waste it by eating junk and to make the very most of what I put in my body.

I see it as a sort of 'reset to factory mode'!

Good luck and hang in- I promise, it does get easier.

I'm in my third week of CD and I'm fine now about cooking the family food and even smells of yummy stuff while I'm out.

I did however find myself inhaling the smell of a fresh baked bagette yesterday! Didn't want to eat it just enjoy the aroma :D
So what I'm really saying is that it does get easier :)

Oh I wish I found it easier now. :( I'm on day 20 now and this week has been really difficult. I've been so hungry. I have felt that I've just had to eat something so have had very little meat, or an egg and some veg or salad. I'm ok all day but it's just the evenings - supper time.
I'm really disappointed that I've felt this way because I found the first 2 weeks such a doddle.
3rd weigh in tomorrow, I don't know what to expect. I did ring my CDC earlier in the week to see if she could offer advice, but she just said that I shouldn't be feeling hungry.......... so then I just felt worse. :cry:

yes also on day 4 hun and yes im noticing food a lot more smelling it even my dogs dog foos looks good, im dreaming bout it as well, this cant be normal. my worst day ever but its almost over hang on in there xx

Hi Im on week 5 and most cravings have gone occasionally I think of food but not much. When my family eat I come on the computer. I visited my mum and dads today with hubby and they ate a chicken roast dinner and I had my Mushroom soup. I feel really good I got through the day and summer is getting nearer so want to lose my weight.

Sharron

I don't think about food as much as I did when I was eating it all day! I still think about it and enjoy the smells but it's not on my mind as much. I've had cravings for things like chicken and celery but generally no cravings for bad stuff. The first week was a different story though, I could have killed for something to eat then!! Once I saw my first weeks weight loss though, I was a lot more focussed and less interested in food. Good luck, I'm sure your cravings will subside.xx

LOL. You think that is weird. I used to 'mime' out eating an imaginary bar of choccie. Would sit down with my coffee and pretend to unwrap the bar, bite off a bit, chew...etc.

Was so good at in the end that I remember accusing someone of nicking my bar when I suddenly couldn't find it :D

Worked a treat for me.

Hahaha you've made me feel like slightly less of a weirdo now :D The amount of "virtual takeaways" I've had whilst on CD is unreal (only during the first few weeks though ;))

In my dreams I've been eating pizza.. scones with jam.... but when I'm awake it's fine! I do fancy them and my tummy growls when I smell nice food but I don't crave anything anymore. The things I think I can't wait to eat are all healthy things too so that's a bonus! Never thought I'd go without chocolate this long ;)

Glad its not just me with the whole "smelling" everything!

I haven't been craving food at all, in a way i've enjoyed not thinking about what i'm going to have at each meal. That's not to say I haven't thought about food, I have a lot but I haven't wanted to eat it just like other people have said look at recipes, food programmes etc.

I've cracked this! I bought some more CD food last night including the mousse mix, drink flavouring and bars and the bill was just under £ 50. Now there's something to concentrate my mind when I'm hungry! I'm not wasting that much money by blowing the diet this week! :copon:

Bess - don't beat yourself up, you've done amazing. I know I'm stating the obvious, but you've lost 20 lbs in 3 weeks! That would take me a life time on Weight Watchers or Slimming World. You should be proud of yourself.

Hello

I dont get cravings, feel hungry anymore or really think about food. I cook my family their meals and it doesnt even bother me.

I am on week 5 of the diet now.

The only time i have craved and felt hungry was totm. The cd bars tho are great for fulfilling the totm munchies tho. I think it was a woman at cd headquaters that invented the bars! lol

Back